Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only done Downieville once, a few summers ago on a 6" all mountain bike. It worked great, but since then I've added an 8" DH bike to my stable, and I've only ridden it at one place so far (N*), thus I'm eager to use it at more places.

Most Dville threads though recommend a 6" all mountain. Would I regret taking the DH bike there? I'm sure there are a few short stretches where it would be nice, but I think overall it might be the wrong choice, especially for the flatter sections near the end with lots of pedaling. I can't seem to find any specific info on the web about people using a DH bike there.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
I've only done Downieville once, a few summers ago on a 6" all mountain bike. It worked great, but since then I've added an 8" DH bike to my stable, and I've only ridden it at one place so far (N*), thus I'm eager to use it at more places.

Most Dville threads though recommend a 6" all mountain. Would I regret taking the DH bike there? I'm sure there are a few short stretches where it would be nice, but I think overall it might be the wrong choice, especially for the flatter sections near the end with lots of pedaling. I can't seem to find any specific info on the web about people using a DH bike there.
I've only been to Downeville once and it was on a 2008 Mongoose ECD. Sure it was heavy and clunky and not very fun to throw around but it was my only bike at the time... I'd bring the smaller bike if that's an option as it's more fun to throw around on top of making the the flats and that one climb a lot easier...

·
Formerly dvo
2,433 Posts
Bring both! Ride the Sunday DH course. For sure there will be times you are overbiked but there will also be moments of pure bliss. Then go back to the shorter travel bike. Overall they are way more suited to the terrain.

G

·
^^^I agree, a DH bike is overkill for D-Ville...try a 130mm travel bike, much more enjoyable.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
That being said I'm on a 130/110 Tallboy 3. Just saying Butcher and 3rd would be smile inducing.
130/110. That may be because you don't have a higher travel bike at the moment. And you've descended that 100+ times.

I've done it on a hardtail a few times. Not ideal as there are better tools now for the job. It's not crazy rough but the speeds can get very high.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for the tips. I rode yesterday on my 6" All Mountain, and of course you were all right... that was the correct choice! I actually forgot how much pedalling there was on this ride.

Yeah, there were probably 4 or 5 short sections where the DH would have been fun. But there were dozens of longer sections where I was very happy to have the smaller bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.