Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys just been crusin' the internet and can't decide what wheel set I should get. I don't want to spend bling money on it but I do want it to perform very well. I was thinking of king's on some mavic 729 but that would end up costing a lot. I just want something worthn of dh'ing but not breaking the bank. I have already a set of outlaws on my bike and it's ok. I just want a step up from that but not to flashy like the Kings $$$ cause I don't want to ruin them in any way for what it cost!

I also was thinking of mixing up the hubs by putting a Hadley hub in the rear and a Hope pro II/III up front on posibbly on a DT Swiss 6.1 fr. Then I thought about it and I tend to just love to plow through stuff so I would want a strong hoop than that unless that is plenty strong.

I can't make my mind up...:madman: :madman: :madman: ...... I want some thing with in $700 but still perform as if it was a $1000+ wheelset. I just want good bang for the buck if you know what I mean. I don't wanna feel like I spent to much money on a wheelset that is too much for me or a wheelset that is not enough for me for lesser money.

Type of riding is very rocky, techy, fast (the trail not me), trail. What is a good combination for price, weight and quality. I would put those in order of prefrence but not even that I can get my head around. Too many damn options!!!!:madmax: :madmax:

Thanks and Mahalo's to all the respond with good insite to this little problem!

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you want a wheelset on a budget, go with hope rear hub and a marzochi front hub lace to rims of your choice on DT spokes and nipples. for less than 500$ (if you are building your own wheels) you can get a killer wheelset thats bombproof

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I've always thought Hope Pro II's to Mavic 823's is a good setup for the price. You can get Mavic 721's if you want to save weight.

That setup should be well under $700, probably about $450.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Raptordude said:
I've always thought Hope Pro II's to Mavic 823's is a good setup for the price. You can get Mavic 721's if you want to save weight.

That setup should be well under $700, probably about $450.
That's what I would build. Currently rocking 819s/Pro IIs. Being doing so a few years now also. High end wheel on a mid-range price.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. Glad to see other riders out there that are rocking the Hope II hubs. Are the engagement is as high at to the Kings and Hadley rear hubs?
I tried to find out about it abut it doesn't really say for the hubs.

I'm pretty much set on Hope hub's now for the hoops. DT Swiss or Mavic??? Any insight would be awsome. I am between a 729,823, DT 6.1FR, DT Champion.

Agian thanks guys for all the response

·
Registered
606 Posts
729 laced to Pro II's

Just got back from picking up my wheels, the 729's look real beefy, I am sure I'll get a few years out of them, well worth it the investment and waiting time. Just make sure to have them built by an experienced wheel builder.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yeah stay away from the 6.1's I got 6 side wall dents in my rear one from one day of riding. the 5.1's are stronger and lighter. I run hope pro II hubs on 5.1's, nice light strong set up for racing.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
?! I thought the 6.1s were simply the same as 5.1s just slightly beefier - am I wrong?

Jettj45 said:
Yeah stay away from the 6.1's I got 6 side wall dents in my rear one from one day of riding. the 5.1's are stronger and lighter. I run hope pro II hubs on 5.1's, nice light strong set up for racing.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Avoid the 6.1's. Its too rocky out here, they will get dented fast. DT hubs are nice, but the rims are best suited for racing or smoother terrain.

Can't go wrong with Mavic rims. If you are building up a new set, I'd suggest going UST. You don't HAVE to use it, but you then have the option of going tubeless without much hassle.

Hadley hubs are great, quick engagement, solid hubs. I9's are going to be as expensive as Kings. What rear spacing do you require? 135 or 150? That will narrow down your choices a bit.

I'm curious what you need that the Outlaws don't provide? Engagement? Weight? Or just want something new?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
823s
HADLEYS
DT comp spokes
Brass nips.

If you want high engagement Hadley is the best value. You could go with a Pro II front to save some money.

Tubeless is freakin awesome, 823 is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Kevin G said:
?! I thought the 6.1s were simply the same as 5.1s just slightly beefier - am I wrong?
I think thats what there suppose to be i know they were in 07 but they said 08 5.1's were a lot stronger and they are. I have zero dents in mine and there still tru. The 6.1's didnt hold up for sh1t...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Hope engagement is pretty poor (relative) at 24 IIRC, but the hub quality and weight is great.

Hadley would be (is) my first choice for a rear..solid product, can be changed to fit many axle options down the road....the cassette carrier does not get chewed up (it is Ti), great engagememt, and it is a small family run opperation that goes out of their way to keep you up and runnig if you were to have a problem.

For weight and strength, I always run double butted...they are not quite as stiff as straight guage, but build a more durable wheel...brass nipples.

DT rims are hit or miss, and IMO they do NOT make a DH rim worth spending a dime on. The 5.1s are nice (and light), but they are far from a DH rim...great for AM/enduro etc, but not DH. The shape and material of the 6.1 make them VERY prone to denting.

For the best weight vs strength for DH rims, you have 3 options (IMO) 823, 721, 279.

721s are the lightest and hold up well if you are not an absolute wheel masher.

729s are a bit heavier, and a bit wider and are very stong side to side. The sidewall geometry can dent a little easier than the 721 but this wont effect fuctionality

823s are the heaviest rim that mavic makes and are quite durable. They have thick sidewalls and are pretty dent resistant because of this.

All three can be run tubeless if you want (or tubed, but that would be stupid and very heavy with an 823). The 721 or 729 will require some sort of tubeless conversion (I use stans), but they both will make a good tubeless set-up if you want that.

Lightest would be the 721s tubeless, then the 823 tubeless (lack of rim strip brings the total down a bit) and then the 729s tubeless. Tubes will add 100 to 200 grams per wheel(mroe for the 823, because you are not removing a tubeless strip), depending on the tube choice.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KavuRider said:
Avoid the 6.1's. Its too rocky out here, they will get dented fast. DT hubs are nice, but the rims are best suited for racing or smoother terrain.
I figured that you would say that. So I pretty much took that out of the equation. Plus I can be a hack sometimes...hahahaha

KavuRider said:
Can't go wrong with Mavic rims. If you are building up a new set, I'd suggest going UST. You don't HAVE to use it, but you then have the option of going tubeless without much hassle.
I pretty much narrowed it down to the top three mavic DH hoops that they got. Now it's just the debate is just weight over durablitlity and vice versa

KavuRider said:
Hadley hubs are great, quick engagement, solid hubs. I9's are going to be as expensive as Kings. What rear spacing do you require? 135 or 150? That will narrow down your choices a bit.
I am leaning towards Hadley rear and Hope front. Or if I find a good price I might go with Kings F/R. Which of the two have better engagement Kings or Hadley??? Oh and rocking a 150mm rear. This will pretty much tell you why I need a new wheel set!! So SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH;) ;)

KavuRider said:
I'm curious what you need that the Outlaws don't provide? Engagement? Weight? Or just want something new?
Pretty much both. Mainly the engagement is my main issue then the weight. The factor of having something new is always a good thing.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
albertomannil said:
Revolution 32 or 36 wheelset... cant beat that bang for the buck!
Why on earth would the original poster do that? He has $700 to spend on wheels. He needs to get boss wheels. I'm not saying the Revolutions are garbage, but there IS going to be a pretty significant difference between at $250 dollar wheel set and a $500+ one, I'm including the Outlaws in this argument.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i built a rear king/823 for about 450 with universalcycles.com. i didnt use their build kit, i just calc'd the stuff on my own and built it myself. getting ready to build a front for EABOS. use the 15 percent off code and you save a bunch. cant use it for a wheel if they build it, and they charge 610 for the same wheel. ive ran it so far with about 20 runs so far @ flag and it is still true as hell. but i am not too hard on my stuff. i might be shuttling SOMO this weekend if you want to see it. white transition with a 66

just priced the set on universal. came to 697 after the discount for kings to 823.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
doodooboi said:
Alright guys just been crusin' the internet and can't decide what wheel set I should get. I don't want to spend bling money on it but I do want it to perform very well. I was thinking of king's on some mavic 729 but that would end up costing a lot. I just want something worthn of dh'ing but not breaking the bank. I have already a set of outlaws on my bike and it's ok. I just want a step up from that but not to flashy like the Kings $$$ cause I don't want to ruin them in any way for what it cost!

I also was thinking of mixing up the hubs by putting a Hadley hub in the rear and a Hope pro II/III up front on posibbly on a DT Swiss 6.1 fr. Then I thought about it and I tend to just love to plow through stuff so I would want a strong hoop than that unless that is plenty strong.

I can't make my mind up...:madman: :madman: :madman: ...... I want some thing with in $700 but still perform as if it was a $1000+ wheelset. I just want good bang for the buck if you know what I mean. I don't wanna feel like I spent to much money on a wheelset that is too much for me or a wheelset that is not enough for me for lesser money.

Type of riding is very rocky, techy, fast (the trail not me), trail. What is a good combination for price, weight and quality. I would put those in order of prefrence but not even that I can get my head around. Too many damn options!!!!:madmax: :madmax:

Thanks and Mahalo's to all the respond with good insite to this little problem!
Hope Pro IIs laced to Mavic 729s. I've been running that setup for 3 and a half months or so now and it's great. I chose 36h with straight gauge spokes and black brass nips because I'm fat, and they are stiff and reliable for sure. They've seen action all over the Shore, Whistler and our local spots and no problems so far. I had them built up custom at Universal Cycles and they came in at about $550.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.