Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weigh 120lbs and I have an Evil Sovereign that I use for everything from XC to DH. Right now, it weighs 40lbs according to my bathroom scale, which is like a third of my weight lol. I'm running Azonic Outlaws now, which are overkill for my weight/riding. So, I'm looking for a good lightweight DH, maybe AM, wheelset that can take jumps, drops, whatever. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My budget would probably be around $500, probably somewhat less. I might look at used wheelsets, too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The Havoc wouldn't work because the spacing is 150mm :( That looks like it would be about perfect besides that though. The Flows look great! I'll probably go for those. Another option that I might consider is the Spank Spike Race28. I think they're pretty new, so there don't seem to be any reviews on them yet... I'll keep looking and see what else I can find about them.

This is kind of off topic, but in the spirit of lightening my bike up, I'm also looking for a new fork. Right now, I have a 7lb Marzocchi Drop Off that doesn't even work all that well (150mm travel). I don't have a whole lot to spend on a fork because the wheelset would take most of my budget. I was thinking of getting a Pike since I don't weigh that much, but my question is, would a Pike be enough travel for DH? Or should I get a fork with 150mm-160mm of travel? The Pike sounds like an amazingly reliable fork and I could wind down the travel a good deal for XC. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Id focus on getting that fork off first, and id check out a manitou minute. Its lighter and has better damping than the pike. A sektor or rev would be good to look at too.

I think flows are a pretty hard sell when the I23 rim is out now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not so sure about the Manitou... I haven't heard very good things about them. I'm definitely considering the Sektor, but the Revelation seems more XC than what I'm looking for. I don't know, I might just need to suck it up and get a fork with 35mm stanchions that's more DH specific like the Lyrik. I'm planning on going to Windrock (in TN) and maybe Snowshoe (in WV) this summer and I don't want to have to worry about the fork. I just hate to get something so beefy and heavy since I don't weigh that much and since I'd be putting the fork on a HT.

Those I23 rims look pretty awesome! They're a good bit cheaper than the Flows, so I'll have to look into them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Kt42, If you're interested, I barely used Lyrik with the Mission Control damper in it, it's a 1.5 steerer though, so I don't know if that'll work.

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
You're pretty light like me so I'd recommend some EX500s laced up to something cheaper like Hope Pro2s. If I get lucky I can manage a season out of a set but that's kosher considering how light they are.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I'm not so sure about the Manitou... I haven't heard very good things about them.
They got a bad rap from the old SPV dampers. All the spv dampers are gone now, and they're amazing forks with the new ABS+ unit. You're selling yourself short if you dont at least try one.

The lyrik is a good fork too, but its a big fork. It looks like that bike was designed around 130-140mm forks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They got a bad rap from the old SPV dampers. All the spv dampers are gone now, and they're amazing forks with the new ABS+ unit. You're selling yourself short if you dont at least try one.

The lyrik is a good fork too, but its a big fork. It looks like that bike was designed around 130-140mm forks.
Well i'll do some more research on the Minute and go from there. If you think its a good fork then i'll consider it.

The Sov could easily handle a 160mm fork. I've been running a 150mm so 10mm extra shouldn't be a problem. The question is whether i need that much travel considering my weight or if i could get away with a smaller, lighter fork. A lyrik would be a great option though.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A solo air Lyrik dropped to 140 might be a good option. It's light, it's stiff and it's strong. I just bought a set of i23s that i'll be lacing up to Hope Pro IIs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the idea of the Lyrik dropped to 140mm. It would be a good weight and a good amount of burliness without being overkill. The more I think about it, the more I think the Sektor/Pike is not going to be enough for DH.

The i23s also look great! Great price and lighter than the Flows, so I think I'll go with these after I get a fork, well unless I find something different. The Pro IIs look like a great hub and I can get them in blue :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ haha, never thought that trying to get my bike down to 35ish lbs would make me a "weight weenie" lol :D Yeah, suspension is definitely a priority right now. I didn't realize how bad off the fork was until I rode this super rocky trail the other day... a new fork is a must.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The I23 builds up great and takes more max spoke tension than some other popular rims. I just built up a set but was surprized to see how thin the bead hook and rim side was.
( that is why they are so light as compared to the Mavic 721 they replaced)
Otherwise the wall the spoke nipple goes through looked normal.

I get alot of rock strikes from running low pressure so that is a worry for me.

As compared to the Flow, the I23 is made to UST specs and the Flow bead seat made a bit larger in diameter to help with running tubeless using non tubeless tires. You can read up on that in thier website. The bead hook itself is lower in diameter and helps give a but more cush before rock strikes.

I went with a UST bead rim because I think "Tubeless Ready" tires are going to become very common.

I'm with the other responders though....if your wheels are working well now then the fork might give better returns on available money spent.

Cheers!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Will the I23's be enough to hold up to the abuse that a HT will put them through? I don't know much about this rim, just curious since it seems like the rear wheel on an HT will take a pounding if ridden like a true DH/FR bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts