Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about making the switch to a moto helmet from DH specific and want hear others thoughts.

Right now I am using Fox Rampage Pro with Fluid Inside pods which have since been discontinued from the market. This is the heaviest most robust DH helmet on the market right now as far as I know. Before that I was using a Troy Lee D3 carbon Mips that I frankly did not feel safe in, just did not feel substantial. I feel the same way about the D4.

I ordered a Fly Formula helmet and it is 70-80 grams heavier than my Fox Rampage Pro, but the biggest difference is the size. The outer shell is significantly bigger, it is just a larger helmet looking at it, but this is due to a thicker EPS liner.

All of these downhill helmets seem to be light duty thinner moto helmets with less EPS. I think I would feel better with a thicker EPS but what is holding me back is the added size not so much as the weight.

I know nothing is concussion proof, but I am left wondering why DH helmets seemingly offer less protection than moto helmets. This is a subject of great interest to me.

Anyone else make the switch to moto helmets?

·
Pro Crastinator
12,394 Posts
..why DH helmets seemingly offer less protection than moto helmets....
heavier doesn't blindly mean more protection offered. but to answer your question, i'm guessing moto helmets are more robust because you are going to be crashing at much higher speeds and have a much heavier bike flopping around with you when you do so...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've heard that full face mountain bike helmets actually protect better than moto helmets at anything below 45MPH (If I remember correctly). The author of one study I read even went so far as to consider recommending full face bike helmets for low speed (anything under freeway) motorcycle riding as the force transferred to a head through a MTB helmet was less than the moto helmet. I would want more research before doing that myself, but my point is, full face MTB helmets are really safe. A heavier helmet will also subject your neck to greater strain in the event of a crash.
Moto helmets are subject to a lot of regulations that are not pertinent to mountain biking, and mountain biking helmets have been designed specifically for what we do.
Some food for though: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/dh-helmets-vs-motocross-helmets-which-is-safer.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
It’s all about dissipation of energy. The less energy transferred to your head the better so in an deal world, your helmet would disintegrate in a crash by absorbing all the collision energy and transfer none to your head. In the real world helmet manufacturers have to apply an arbitrary figure to the level of energy the helmet is able to cope with which will be higher than most impacts and so transfer more energy to your head than is ideal.
Kali helmets are really proactive in ascerting most helmets are actually too strong/ too hard and transfer too much energy to the brain.
So, to answer your question, unless you are extremely heavy, ride at world cup speeds and are likely to crash hard, your probably going to be worse off with a moto lid and at less chance of concussion with a lighter helmet.
The above doesn’t take into account the negative impact of a bigger shell and increased weight associated with a moto lid either which is a whole other can of tuna.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I am familiar with this theory but I am not completely sold on it. You hold a chinsy TLD D3/4 helmet in your hand that has no EPS/EPP on the chinbar and thin EPS on the rest and compare it to a moto helmet then ask yourself which you would prefer in a crash. I noticed in the olympic bmx many riders had moto helmets although I dont see too many DH pros using the moto helmets.

My D3 always felt sort of chinsy to me, but when I came across a bike park accident with a knocked out rider wearing one from a fairly low speed crash that was last time I wore that helmet. My fox rampage pro feels safer but I always want more i guess.

I dunno, this one thing I am always looking to optimize. Its sad because all the manufacturers are sort of doing their own thing and passing the base ASTM test, but comparison data from the independent testing will never happen cause it would put almost everyone out business once we found out who had the best stuff. We are just all left guessing about something so important.

·
Registered
20,190 Posts
unless you are extremely heavy, ride at world cup speeds and are likely to crash hard, your probably going to be worse off with a moto lid and at less chance of concussion with a lighter helmet.
The above makes it sound like that in a lower-than-world-cup speed crash a moto helmet would be poorly protective. I'd still trust a moto helmet to protect my head while going my amateur speeds. It's not like a moto helmet would be unsafe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.