Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

So I was in Schladming and Leogang this week and I fell in love with those DH bikes I have seen. I have an Enduro bike, lot of travel for parks, not enough skill yet, but I am trying. Anyway. For a new season I am seriously considering buying a DH bike. Not that I need it, I just want it. I like it more by appearance and maybe also with rideability.
Of course I cannot afford those high level race DH bikes, but I am ok with those "entry level" DH bikes. I have three options I have chosen - Commencal Furious Ride 2021, YT Tues BASE, Propain Rage 2021. All these bikes have similar components and all of them are under 4k Euro which is my maximum. I prefer 27,5" wheel so Rage is quite off, only in mullet. My favourite is YT Tues Base - I like how it looks. I don't like its brakes but it can be figured out. For me components seems to be solid - fork and shock, probably not a lot of tune options but not that bad also - in my opinion. It's alu but maybe better for me (my enduro is carbon)

So what is the catch these bike are quite for "normal" affordable price? Is it like they look like DH bike but they are not properly prepared for DH riding in parks? Or is it all about preferences of rider?

I am not planning to race. I just want to enjoy parks and I just want to have DH bike next to my Enduro.

Thx

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Or you can buy a second hand higher specced dh bike for cheap as chips. The risk here is that someone has hammered it to oblivion and back.

A mid range dh bike should be fine for park bashing. What you loose to high spec dh bike is the good suspension. You will have average spec suspension. That might work for you or in might not work so well.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hello

So I was in Schladming and Leogang this week and I fell in love with those DH bikes I have seen. I have an Enduro bike, lot of travel for parks, not enough skill yet, but I am trying. Anyway. For a new season I am seriously considering buying a DH bike. Not that I need it, I just want it. I like it more by appearance and maybe also with rideability.
Of course I cannot afford those high level race DH bikes, but I am ok with those "entry level" DH bikes. I have three options I have chosen - Commencal Furious Ride 2021, YT Tues BASE, Propain Rage 2021. All these bikes have similar components and all of them are under 4k Euro which is my maximum. I prefer 27,5" wheel so Rage is quite off, only in mullet. My favourite is YT Tues Base - I like how it looks. I don't like its brakes but it can be figured out. For me components seems to be solid - fork and shock, probably not a lot of tune options but not that bad also - in my opinion. It's alu but maybe better for me (my enduro is carbon)

So what is the catch these bike are quite for "normal" affordable price? Is it like they look like DH bike but they are not properly prepared for DH riding in parks? Or is it all about preferences of rider?

I am not planning to race. I just want to enjoy parks and I just want to have DH bike next to my Enduro.

Thx
All these bikes will be great for your needs. From your list, for pure park riding i would go with the Furious, that been said, the new Rage is really interesting even though its mix'd wheels.
You should also consider Canyon Sender AL, its in your price range, it come with Marzocchi suspensions and the only thing i would change are the brakes.

For a while i was thinking to get dh bike (Leogang is my local bike park...), but in the end decided to get freeride bike instead (like Nomad or Spindrift), its more practical almost everywhere and will cover at least 90% of my needs, then getting dedicated dh bike for these special park days. But since you already having enduro bike, dh rig will be nice addition.

Or you can buy a second hand higher specced dh bike for cheap as chips. The risk here is that someone has hammered it to oblivion and back.

A mid range dh bike should be fine for park bashing. What you loose to high spec dh bike is the good suspension. You will have average spec suspension. That might work for you or in might not work so well.
I wish that was the case, at least in Austria used higher spec'd dh bike from the last 2-3 years cost around 2500-3000€... but still good option.

·
Underskilled
4,934 Posts
My strategy was to throw the extra cash at the enduro bike.

If you spent another £5k on the enduro, are you sure it wouldn't out perform a mid range DH?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All these bikes will be great for your needs. From your list, for pure park riding i would go with the Furious, that been said, the new Rage is really interesting even though its mix'd wheels.
You should also consider Canyon Sender AL, its in your price range, it come with Marzocchi suspensions and the only thing i would change are the brakes.

For a while i was thinking to get dh bike (Leogang is my local bike park...), but in the end decided to get freeride bike instead (like Nomad or Spindrift), its more practical almost everywhere and will cover at least 90% of my needs, then getting dedicated dh bike for these special park days. But since you already having enduro bike, dh rig will be nice addition.
Thanks. I have seen lot of YT bikes in Leogang and I just like its shape and how this bike look. Furious is also nice bike but 2021 has only one color option and it's not directly my taste. That's why I like YT more. Propain is also nice, I like Cura brakes, I like their configurator. It's carbon frame, but I am not sure about mixed wheels. Canyon seems to be weird for me. Also I have a guy near me who is no.1 in Rockshox service, so I prefer to have at least RockShox (FOX is out of my range). Understand your choice of Freeride bike. I was also considering Spindrift. But I don't like pedalling anyway and most of the time I use cable car. It's more fun to me. And as you said, I have an Enduro bike in case of "normal" riding.

My strategy was to throw the extra cash at the enduro bike.

If you spent another £5k on the enduro, are you sure it wouldn't out perform a mid range DH?
I have Norco Range Carbon 2019 bike with higher end components (RockShox Lyrik Ultimate 180mm travel, RockShox Super Deluxe Coil 160mm rear, Cura 2 brakes, Sram GX) so it is almost DH bike (even head tube angle is close), but I just like DH bike more. Enduro is good, of course but I am pretty sure I like DH as race discipline better and I would prefer to be closer to this, than to Enduro racing. Like I said. I don't need it but I would love to have it.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
I went with a used AL bike with minimal rides on it. I’ve changed out the fork, bars, stem, brakes, rotors, and cassette.

Still end up about $3k out of pocket. Totally the way I’d go for DH bikes if you can find something not beat to hell.

·
Registered
20,117 Posts
I went with a used AL bike with minimal rides on it. I've changed out the fork, bars, stem, brakes, rotors, and cassette.

Still end up about $3k out of pocket. Totally the way I'd go for DH bikes if you can find something not beat to hell.
YT Tues Base is only $3499 though and you get a fresh, unused bike with a 5-year warranty and horrible website.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think so. Their headquaters is in Germany and that is not that far from my country so in the worst case I'll go there and throw that supid bike to the window of their boss. But I think it should be allright and if not? Yeah, that's life

·
Registered
18 Posts
Of course I cannot afford those high level race DH bikes, but I am ok with those "entry level" DH bikes.
I went second-hand with all my bikes.. with your budget you could get a 3/4/5 years old top level bike!!!

======================
I bought a Kona Stinky for £350 a few years back... took the best parts and built a DH rig (Orange 224) for under £350 [probably less after all the part-swapping and selling!]
Also built a DH rig for a mate for under £300... Transition Patrol frame... super cheap parts and some upgrades from my spare parts ;)

i don't mind an older bike, still works fine, replace some old bearings and not much different to a modern bike... weight difference isn't massive either... the old Stinky was heavy as fk but the Orange is a couple kilos (or more) lighter!

also - building bikes is well fun!
=======================

·
May The Force Be With You
2,724 Posts
I think DH bikes a bit more forgiving for less experienced riders

Reactions: Igotsoul4u
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.