Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up guys, Ive been riding mt bikes for a little under 6 monthes now and have already started racing DH. Im currently racing in sport class but know I could bump up to expert and possibly higher if I got my damn endurance up. So what do the DH racers out there recomend training on. I have a DH bike, All mountian bike, KX-F 450 dirt bike and looking into getting a dirt jump bike and selling my bmx. I ride DH every sat and sun but mon-fri I work 12-16 hour shifts, so its hard to get DH bike and ride. Im currently just doing an hour and a half xc type ride 2-3 times a week on weekdays... What should I do, should I ride my dirt bike more too? please help...

·
2,675 Posts
Ride XC as much as possible. It sounds like you have the technical skills to race DH competitively, but the more XC you ride the more you endurance will improve.

I used to ride with a few expert and semi pro downhill racers. These guys rode a lot of XC and road. They concentrated a lot more on endurance than anything

·
Registered
456 Posts
I havent heard mutch on training eather, its kinda hush-hush in the DH world. You know its going on but no one ever talkes about it. in XC or road thoes guys have strick diets, and maped out work-outs for each day.

I have Lars tribus Chumba wumba rider, Masters World Champ, and Red Bull Rampage Vet, say that he does somthnig like 80% upper body training for DH racing. you need a strong core and sholders to control a bike at high speed.

on the other hand Steve Peat one year said he stoped drinking and partying and really focused on training and had a horrable seasion. So maybe DH is not training extensive and more about reaction times and BALLS

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
KomodoRider said:
on the other hand Steve Peat one year said he stoped drinking and partying and really focused on training and had a horrable seasion. So maybe DH is not training extensive and more about reaction times and BALLS
are you talking about the NWD thing? I'm pretty sure he did just fine that year, I think he just liked drinking more

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theres a new indoor rock climbing place that just opened up right down the street from my house. They have all kinds of crazy core exercize equipment, not to mention rock climbing itself is a crazy good core and upper body exercize. What you think about that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.