Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the new Kona DL enough of a bike to do DH on? I will be going to Highland mountain for DH 10-20 times during the year. I will be riding moderate trails, and some jumps but nothing too crazy. I also ride a good amount of single track(way more than DH), and I assume that it will be good for that. I just really like the price!:rolleyes: If not, any ideas? budgets about 2 grand. I wil be doing some DH as said, but also along with mostly singletrack.
KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL DS | PRECEPT DL

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
not really. its a 130 bike. its more or less a singletrack bike. A park bike or lift bike is usually 170mm+. there are built rather stout to put up with more abuse, and not pedal friendly. Even 150 and 160 bikes/ aka all mountain / are built up to be more aggressive than trail bikes, but they still consider you have pedal up the mountain and try to shave weight where they can. An all mountain build would be more suitable for occasional DH, park type riding. But again AM bikes pedal more piggy than trail bikes as your daily single track bike. many jobs can possibly be done by different tools, but the one made for the job will do it the best. Basic trail bikes, and true DH are quite a spread.

I personally found 140 suited my skill level and trails. there are random place I could use more, but for the most part its overkill for my daily needs. Really depends on your trails and skill level what best suits you.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Was curious if my SJ Evo (140mm 29er) would work for 2-3 times a year DH or if I should rent. I don't ride very aggressively.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have ridden my local bike park (northstar) on my 140mm BLT and it was pretty damn fun, I didn't hit any gnarly stuff. It's definitely ok to ride a shorter travel bike DH but just take it easy, if you're going 10-20 times a year though I'd say start considering a more AM 160mm bike, because that little Kona bike would probably not hold up for too much. I prefer to rent if I can afford it usually tho, I'd suggest get whatever bike you want and do that.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I run my 575 with 160 front/146 rear travel at my nearby DH hill... Nothing super gnarly but it does the job on 95% of the stuff there

·
Registered
18 Posts
My brother took his Bronson to Highland on our last trip last year. It was pretty greasy that day so he took it easy. He said he would take it back there again.
I just picked up a leftover Reign X1 for a good deal with Highland in mind. I'm in the same position as you: riding mostly single track but wanting something to handle whatever I throw at it. It's getting pretty painful to rent every time I go to Highland!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
its a tough call. if you want to slay, youll need a freeride bike or DH bike. but if you do lighter stuff, a AM bike will work

id get a bike for what you ride the MOST. then rent for the rest

1 - 10 of 10 Posts