Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
the giant.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a sun rhynolite on my back rim (the pinned seam version), and i discovered a crack on the seam after plenty of abuse. are there any heavy duty rims (at a decent price) that have an erd of about 548mm? preferably under $75ish but i can go over a tad if needed. or you can recommend a new rim/spoke combo thats around the same price..would the rhynolite xl with the welded seam work fine? im not an overly hard rider.

yes i know you should replace the spokes when you lace a new wheel, but im on a seriously low budget (college student) and i have had success with reusing spokes in the past

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
i have a sun rhynolite on my back rim (the pinned seam version), and i discovered a crack on the seam after plenty of abuse. are there any heavy duty rims (at a decent price) that have an erd of about 548mm? preferably under $75ish but i can go over a tad if needed. or you can recommend a new rim/spoke combo thats around the same price..would the rhynolite xl with the welded seam work fine? im not an overly hard rider.

yes i know you should replace the spokes when you lace a new wheel, but im on a seriously low budget (college student) and i have had success with reusing spokes in the past
Let's see a pic of this "crack".

Pinned rims can open slightly at the seam and still be just fine.

·
the giant.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's see a pic of this "crack".

Pinned rims can open slightly at the seam and still be just fine.
its directly across from the valve stem so it has to be the seam.. and ill do my best. i dont have a very good camera so seeing the crack might be tough. plus the rim is quite bent (vertically and horizontally. and i cant replace any spokes because i dont have any), and might be past the point of saving..im usually pretty good with truing rims back to perfection, but this is the worst ive had..

·
the giant.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks fine to me. That is pretty normal for a pinned/sleeved rim.

If you can not true the wheel it is a different issue.
ill take your word shiggy. i know you probably have ridden your fair share of rims in your lifetime..i just ordered a full tool kit (i needed a bunch of other tools) to get my cassette off and i stole a spoke out of an old rim to replace the one broken one. the rim is basically true except at the missing spoke there is a high spot and its bent in to the opposite side of the hub. so replacing the spoke and spending some time truing it should get it back to a tolerable state

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.