Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Sin said:
Is there good FR and DH in Tucson area?
FR? Not sure. What is Free Ride?

DH? Not sure. I know that there certainly are plenty of "Hills" to go "Down", but these are
not DH courses. These are trails. Sweet, beautiful, mother-of-God TRAILS! There is no ski-
lift. OK, there's a ski-lift on top of Mt Lemmon, but I don't think it has ever catered to DH
riders. Nope. You buy your downhill blasts by paying with uphill grinds. A price I gladly pay!

But "All Mountain"? Welcome to Tucson! All Mountain all the time!

·
fraid of heights
2,384 Posts
Evil Patrick said:
FR? Not sure. What is Free Ride?

DH? Not sure. I know that there certainly are plenty of "Hills" to go "Down", but these are
not DH courses. These are trails. Sweet, beautiful, mother-of-God TRAILS! There is no ski-
lift. OK, there's a ski-lift on top of Mt Lemmon, but I don't think it has ever catered to DH
riders. Nope. You buy your downhill blasts by paying with uphill grinds. A price I gladly pay!

But "All Mountain"? Welcome to Tucson! All Mountain all the time!
Any hints on where to go all mountain?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im intrested in big hit stuff....I have an all mountain bike well not really LOL its a Specialized Demo9 38t front sprocket weighs about 47lbs, but hell I peadled it up hills, but I rather push it. Just wondering. I live in CO but my wife might be getting a job transfer and was wondering what the DH/FR scene was like out there. I see there are plenty of mountains just wondering if there are trails that are more advanced more tech jumps/drops/ stuff like that. Are there any BMX tracks? How about Dirt jumps? I used to ride XC but got burnt out on it. And if I ride xc its all rigid.

·
Registered
691 Posts
There is no such "Scene" in Tucson...

Sin said:
Im intrested in big hit stuff....I have an all mountain bike well not really LOL its a Specialized Demo9 38t front sprocket weighs about 47lbs, but hell I peadled it up hills, but I rather push it. Just wondering what the DH/FR scene was like out there.
If that is what you are into, I suspect you will find Tucson a big disappointment.

John W.

·
Registered
8 Posts
THere is no real scene but there are some really good DH Trails in the area Sandomingo, Green MT, and Milagrosa are all prettymuch shuttle only and take a couple hours and there is Prison Camp for about a 10 to 20 min run from top to bottom and probly only takes ten minutes to drive from the end of it to the beggining or you could ride back to the top so you could do multiple runs in one day on it

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ya_Hozna said:
Don't you guys do some shuttling down there?
On Mt. Lemmon, starting at MilePost #19 there is the Green Mountain Trailhead, at MP#7.5 Is the Prison Camp Road/Molino Basin Trailhead, and below MP #6 is the AZ Trail segment that leads up and over to West Springs and hooks up with the La Milagrosa Trail, leading to the bottom of the mountain.

To ride any and all of these we occasionally shuttle bikes up for "downhill/one-way" only riding, but if you start at Green Mountain you are talking about 5-6 hours of riding all the way to the bottom, and so much of it includes short and medium climbs that most everybody rides 5-6inch travel "heavy trail bikes".

I am a DH racer, as are many of my friends, and none of us has ever taken our DH rigs up there to ride those trails. There is simply too much pedaling, and not enough big technical stuff to require a bike like that.

Other than those trails I have mentioned on Mt. Lemmon, I am unaware of anywhere that shuttling is common in the Tucson area, and know of nowhere to ride a DH bike.

South Mountain in Phoenix on the other hand takes exactly the same amount of time for me to reach from NW Tucson as the trailheads on Mt. Lemmon, and as you know, the northside trails there are a blast on a DH rig.

If the OP is looking to "go big", Tucson just isn't the place...

John W.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
huckcrashandcry said:
THere is no real scene but there are some really good DH Trails in the area Sandomingo, Green MT, and Milagrosa are all prettymuch shuttle only and take a couple hours and there is Prison Camp for about a 10 to 20 min run from top to bottom and probly only takes ten minutes to drive from the end of it to the beggining or you could ride back to the top so you could do multiple runs in one day on it
Yep, huckcrashandcry named those trails off pretty good. As a matter of fact, hitten up prison camp to La Milagrosa all the way down to the intersection of the main street this weekend 6/3 or 6/4 if anyone is interested. Milagrosa is a nice DH trail but with a little to much of XC riding for a bighit bike, so a 5*5 or 6*6 is good. I use a RM switch SL and it works great. If anyone wants to come along just PM me, later

·
Registered
339 Posts
papajohn said:
On Mt. Lemmon, starting at MilePost #19 there is the Green Mountain Trailhead, at MP#7.5 Is the Prison Camp Road/Molino Basin Trailhead, and below MP #6 is the AZ Trail segment that leads up and over to West Springs and hooks up with the La Milagrosa Trail, leading to the bottom of the mountain.

To ride any and all of these we occasionally shuttle bikes up for "downhill/one-way" only riding, but if you start at Green Mountain you are talking about 5-6 hours of riding all the way to the bottom, and so much of it includes short and medium climbs that most everybody rides 5-6inch travel "heavy trail bikes".

I am a DH racer, as are many of my friends, and none of us has ever taken our DH rigs up there to ride those trails. There is simply too much pedaling, and not enough big technical stuff to require a bike like that.

Other than those trails I have mentioned on Mt. Lemmon, I am unaware of anywhere that shuttling is common in the Tucson area, and know of nowhere to ride a DH bike.

South Mountain in Phoenix on the other hand takes exactly the same amount of time for me to reach from NW Tucson as the trailheads on Mt. Lemmon, and as you know, the northside trails there are a blast on a DH rig.

If the OP is looking to "go big", Tucson just isn't the place...

John W.
Man, I have to come down there for that 5-6 hour ride. That sounds nice! Is that a "not during the summer" kinda ride?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ya_Hozna said:
Man, I have to come down there for that 5-6 hour ride. That sounds nice! Is that a "not during the summer" kinda ride?
You will probably get differing opinions about that.

The problem is that the Green Mountain Trailhead is at about 7,200 feet, so it is wonderfully comfortable, even in the summer, and even after 2 to 3 hours when you arrive at the Prison Camp road, you are still well above 6,000 feet, so it isn't bad. But by the time you are out on the La Milagrosa ridgeline, and down into the ravine toward the end of the ride, you are down to just above 3,000 feet and the terrain is open and totally exposed, so it is as hot as Phoenix by the time you do the last third of the ride.

There are two places (the Prison Camp and Molino Basin Campground) where you can leave a food/water cache on your drive up, so you can resupply halfway through the whole ordeal, but I personally have always done this ride in the fall or spring, and probably would not find it very attractive to do during the summer, though obviously some guys who are a lot tougher than I am may give it a go this weekend.

A large group of my Phoenix buds come down here and do this ride at least once, usually twice a year and think it is well worth the travel and effort.

I shattered my collarbone racing at Angel Fire recently and am off the bike for the near future, but come October let me know if you are interested! We'll get a group together...

·
Registered
339 Posts
papajohn said:
You will probably get differing opinions about that.

The problem is that the Green Mountain Trailhead is at about 7,200 feet, so it is wonderfully comfortable, even in the summer, and even after 2 to 3 hours when you arrive at the Prison Camp road, you are still well above 6,000 feet, so it isn't bad. But by the time you are out on the La Milagrosa ridgeline, and down into the ravine toward the end of the ride, you are down to just above 3,000 feet and the terrain is open and totally exposed, so it is as hot as Phoenix by the time you do the last third of the ride.

There are two places (the Prison Camp and Molino Basin Campground) where you can leave a food/water cache on your drive up, so you can resupply halfway through the whole ordeal, but I personally have always done this ride in the fall or spring, and probably would not find it very attractive to do during the summer, though obviously some guys who are a lot tougher than I am may give it a go this weekend.

A large group of my Phoenix buds come down here and do this ride at least once, usually twice a year and think it is well worth the travel and effort.

I shattered my collarbone racing at Angel Fire recently and am off the bike for the near future, but come October let me know if you are interested! We'll get a group together...
I'm on the list, so I'll know when the rest of the group plans the ride. I just did Flag with the group for the first time, so I have to continue broadening my riding horizons! Hope the shoulder heals well!

·
Registered
691 Posts
YuriB said:
naw.
you pretty much hit the nail on the head.
heal up.
boy, this seems forever ago.
Thanks for the link Yuri, that ride was a CLASSIC! And it does seem like years ago.

One thing that hasn't changed is the drastic consequence of a moments inattention or bad judgement. The surgeon that looked at my left shoulder XRAY said, "This was a high velocity impact wasn't it?" I responded something about how that was the point of DH racing, and he said, "you EXPLODED the middle segment of your collarbone!"

It was an unpleasant word to hear associated with a bone fracture, but in the end he still thinks it will all be good in the standard six to eight weeks.

It was killing me to read the thread on Sunrise opening this weekend and wish so badly I could have been there...but, oh well!

Thanks for the well wishes.

John W.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
huckcrashandcry said:
I forgot one trail that could be shuttled, Soldiers Trail is a pretty fun one, it starts somewhere around the prison camp trailhead and says that no bikes are allowd but you probably won't get cought
I'd say there's a better chance of getting cought [sic] on that trail than any other wilderness trail in the Tucson area. Quite simply, the FS knows it is a common one for people to poach and they do have someone that gives tickets.

They are helping us connect Butterfly->Green Mtn->Bug Springs->Prison Camp->Grosa in "good faith" hoping it will deter poaches like this. Not sure it'll work, but I'm all for the new trails.

·
Registered
691 Posts
huckcrashandcry said:
I forgot one trail that could be shuttled, Soldiers Trail is a pretty fun one, it starts somewhere around the prison camp trailhead and says that no bikes are allowd but you probably won't get cought
Given that there are enough nice quality trails on the same mountain that ARE open to MTB, I think it is pretty irresponsible to post a suggestion that somebody poach one of the trails that is off limits to MTB.

As Scott points out, a little cooperation with the FS goes a long way toward benefiting all of us. Why screw it up?

John W.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.