Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Speaking of DH, etc., I'd like to see slopestyle/freeride type contests/ events in the X-games. Seems that would be a match made in heaven.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I agree - DH should be part of Olympics - could be viewed as the summer equivalent of downhill skiing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It would require a MAJOR venue rules change. Only the winter games have a provision for a host country not meeting the geographical requirements for an event. There is no rule that allows a summer competition to occur outside the host country. With countries like Azerbaijan, the UAE, and Qatar vying for host status in 2016 adding DH would require them to change that rule for a single sport that hasn't REALLY proven itself to be marketable. On top of requiring a major venue rule change that opens up the possibility of other sports venues being disorganized in the future I just think it would suck for the sport. I like DH the way it is. I'd rather Peaty, Minaar, Hill, etc. to not turn into famous pretentious douches like in so many other sports. I would also like the hills to remain fairly uncrowded and for our access issues to not get further out of control.

EDIT: Also, if DH racers started getting drug tested there wouldn't be much of a field. I'm kind of amazed that the US was able to get a snowboard team to pass the wizz quiz though so who knows.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
rmb_mike said:
Speaking of DH, etc., I'd like to see slopestyle/freeride type contests/ events in the X-games. Seems that would be a match made in heaven.
they do it with snowboards

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Calidownhiller said:
Weed dude........
are you jamacken?

and yeh DH needs a boost in popularity, a boost would help make more DH trails avable (i currently ride two back hand trails, nothing to extream, if you live in glostershire then, both near stroud, randwick woods and lechampton (diasy bank road) ) and i would love to see some new trails. back to the point...
i dont mind where the boost comes from. but its badly needed, trails can become stale if rode to much. and not just more trails existing parks would expend with the demand so it wouldent get over croweded. but thats just my views, any one else agree?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mr. Blonde said:
EDIT: Also, if DH racers started getting drug tested there wouldn't be much of a field. I'm kind of amazed that the US was able to get a snowboard team to pass the wizz quiz though so who knows.
World Cup downhillers get tested..... USADA tester who tests me goes up to canada to test riders every year

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The major problem with having DH an olympic sport is that not every country can field a team. I mean the winter olympics are already a little ridiculous, CURLING wth? I like DH the way it is and apprently for FreeCaster and RIP.TV to show as much live as possible lets me know that it is growing well on its on.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i heard there was an article released by the Olympic committee stating that downhill mountain biking will not become and Olympic sport. There rationale was that DH bicycles were too technology based so the playing field wasn't even from the standpoint of bikes and components. Now, I just heard this.. so i don't know if its true or not.. but still.. XC, riding is pretty Tech based too.. as well as Skiing even swimming now.

Although, at this point in my life I think i could care less if its an Olympic sport or not.. I would really like to see it become part of the X-Games Slopestyle in particular .. .. even though the X-games are super cheesy.

Maybe we'd get to see Sal Masekela do an interview with a full face helmet and some goggles.

·
Registered
875 Posts
006_007 said:
Your USADA tester comes up to Canada to test THE weed, not test FOR weed :D
:lol: :lol:

"Northern Lights" FTW!!!

Although, at this point in my life I think i could care less if its an Olympic sport or not.. I would really like to see it become part of the X-Games Slopestyle in particular .. .. even though the X-games are super cheesy.
Maybe, but they are a really good way to showcase some of the more extreme sports and the capabilities of their athletes, that wouldn't get much publicity anywhere else.
Right now, where else would you get to see Slopestyle/Freeride events other than the X-games?

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
I would love to see DH an olympic event :thumbsup: But I don't know if it will ever happen?
We definetly deserve coverage in the X games !

I do have some great news about the Winter X games ! Devin Lenz at Lenz Sport bikes.

http://www.lenzsport.com/SkiBikes.html Check out his Ytube vids!

Had a venders booth at last years winter x games, and did skibike demos during the whole event. He has negotiated with espn and x game officials. I have not heard the outcome but we could see skibiking, including slopestyle disciplines in the Winter X games as soon as next year!:drumroll: :thumbsup:

Duane

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Deweydude said:
we could see skibiking, including slopestyle disciplines in the Winter X games as soon as next year!:drumroll: :thumbsup:

Duane
i don't know why we would see ski biking before mtb in the X-games.. I think it'd make our sport look like a novelty, like when they did mtb on snow. that was pretty cheese. (not saying ski bike is cheese)

side note though, why don't you guys put single crowns on ski bikes.. b/c then you could do bar spins.. tailwhips etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.