Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a TLD Stage for enduro racing/bike park days but am having a hard time wrapping my head around why I'm being told I should be using an actual DH helmet like a TLD D4 for those uses instead. If they both meet the ASTM F1952 DH standard, shouldn't they protect the same? Clearly the D4 is going to be heavier, less breathable and the Stage might allow a stick to puncture my skull but what makes it actually protect more against a big impact crash if they both meet the same standard? Maybe this train of thought is coming from people who believe a helmet that costs $500+ MUST be safer than a helmet that costs $200 because its more expensive haha

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
They meet the same standard as a minimum. As you said, a full fiberglass shell dh helmet is going to stay together and resist pentration much better. Chinbar is more robust. The lightweight enduros i think just meet the standards whereas a full dh easily meets the standards and more.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They meet the same standard as a minimum. As you said, a full fiberglass shell dh helmet is going to stay together and resist pentration much better. Chinbar is more robust. The lightweight enduros i think just meet the standards whereas a full dh easily meets the standards and more.
Figured as much. This begs the question, should ALL helmets be replaced after crashing on them once? Even full on DH helmets

·
Registered
16,289 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. I have a Stage helmet too, but I also have a Fox Rampage DH helmet and it's far more robust than the Stage even though they both have the DH rating.

I wonder what the threshold criteria is to earn that rating? Is it similar to the mountain/snowflake rating for snow tires, in that they only have to meet a certain bare minimum that's actually not that hard to achieve? My mountain/snowflake KO2 tires aren't anywhere near as grippy as my Blizzak or Nokian Hakkapelittas, despite all having the same rating.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Figured as much. This begs the question, should ALL helmets be replaced after crashing on them once? Even full on DH helmets
Manufacturers will most likely say yes. If you slide out in a turn and just scrape your helmet, I would say its fine but if you impact it, I would not keep using it but in the end its up to you wether you want to risk it or not.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Impact absorption is a function of the inside foam, regardless of the shell. It crushes and does not return. If it was a decent crash, even if the shell looks fine the inside foam could be used up. There are some skate and snow helmets designed witg multi impact foam which will take more than one hit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts