Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a Transition Blindside and I'm starting to get back into the DH/FR scene. Planning on heading up to Whistler this summer and wondering what tires are best? I've been looking at either the Specialized Butcher DH tires or the Maxxis Minion DHF tires. Wondering which one of these lasts longer as I want something that will last a while? I'll probably only ride Whistler for a few days and other than that I'll be at Stevens Pass and local trails around the Seattle area. Thanks

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Loved a 2.8 Michelin up ft & a 2.5 Nevy for yrs & they got costly & my lbs had a tough time getting them, then i tried the Maxxis DHF & the High Roller II, both have been awesome tires & very durable. I ride 2 to 3 times a wk.
Can't say anything about th Butcher.

·
Registered
994 Posts
minion dhf is the most used dh/fr tire. by a large margin. i have them in 2.5 on my dh bike and in 2.35 on my trail bike. front and rear.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yep, another vote for 2.5 Minion DHFs. Fantastic tires. Super grippy, predictable at their limit, and they last me at least a season, unless I'm riding Moab sandpaper. That stuff can teach a tire in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Butchers are awesome -- low rolling resistance and maintain excellent traction even as they wear. But you can't go wrong with minions either. For me, it comes down to what the best deal is when I need tires. My buddy swears by the highroller II so that's what I'll be running after my current set wears out. I used to run Kenda Nevegals because they used to be cheap and have good traction. But after running various Maxxis tires and spec. Butchers, Nevegals make it feel like your brakes are on 20% at all times.

·
Uphill? What's that
661 Posts
Continental tires need to to be considered also. The black chili compound they use has the best grip of any tire I have ever used. Both the der kaiser and der baron are awesome tires.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Minion DHF is, hands down, no debate, absolutely the best front tire ever made for aggressive riding. the rear tire is a three way tie, IMO, Minion DHF, DHR, and High Roller.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,188 Posts
Ya had me to DHR, maybe DHR2, but the original blows dead bears

·
Registered
908 Posts
Minions are great, but they wear out very fast for me. Butchers are almost identical to minions but have longer wear life. I'm told schwalbe are very good tires but wear very fast.

Just remember that softer compounds = better grip = fast wearing

And for DH/FR, get anything with a wire bead and dual ply. Anything else, although it may work for lots of people, runs the risk of flatting more easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts