Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
10-20 extra pounds depending on the urban bike and the FR/DH bike your comparing...i mean figure one ways 30,the other near 50...i ride urban "stuff" with my FR bike...by stuff,i mean just drops of ledges and stairs.its fun but theres no way you are gonna be able to do any real tricks.i know a few guys who can 180 off high curbs but thats about it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I take my DH rig on urban rides sometimes, when my urban ride is broken. The biggest problem to me is the weight- not so much for jumps and such (although it does suck at that), the main problem is it's so heavy I get tired super quick, I hate that.

Plus the big travel does eat up a lot of power and technique. I end up rolling right through obstacles that I would normally try to jump or something. The skatepark especially seems to shrink by half when on my DH bike. It's fun, but I get more done on urban rides when on my hardtail.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
there's a difference between Urban setting DH runs, depending on if your city has lines for it... but comparing it to real street riding, all you are doing is fighting knobbies and pogoing.... just like Will mentioned... Urban hucking is another creature as well, but those are mostly one hit wonders not worth lugging the bike for.

please search, there was a sticky on this subject when the forum first got it's feet off the ground, and it was possibly one of the most horrible threads ever.... but, if you're looking for something talking about it, there you go.

·
Registered
729 Posts
if you really wanna ride urban and have fun,but you only have your DH bike and cant afford to get an urban rig,just go and pick up a 20"for 250-350,you'll have a blast and it will help your riding.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so far all i've done is just riding down campuses on stairs and some drops and stuff... i would really love to do some real urban riding... I was looking at the DK General Lee bikes... those decent? Or should i take the money and put it on a new fork on my current bike?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.