Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've decided to sell my Morewood Izimu frame in order to pick something up with less travel, a more do it all, flickable, fun bike. I've considered the Scythe in the past but I can't get over the high BB as I have preferred frames with low BBs recently. I was considering going gback to a Bottlerocket but I think I want something more refined. So here are my questions and keep in mind I weigh 200 pounds.

Can the Rune handle real DH runs? I'm not looking to race it, just get down and have fun doing it. Will I break it?

Would the Wildcard be much better in this application? I've read that most people run it in the 5" position because it "feels best". I want to run it in the 6.5" position. Does it feel bad in the longer travel setting? Does running a 180mm fork screw up the geo enough to avoid it. When I had my Bottlerocket it felt awesome with a 36 but unstable with a 180mm domain.

My other choices will be an Intense SS, Corsair Maelstrom (if they ever come out), Bottlerocket (meh), Giant Reign X.

I really want a Banshee. I've had many PM conversations with Keith, he has got to be the coolest most knowledgeable guy in the industry and I want to support that. Hey Keith, do you have any low BB protos of the Scythe or other models that you want me to test for you at Snowshoe this coming season ;).

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
How about this as another idea to throw in the mix....

A little known fact is that you can run a Scythe with a 8.5x2.5" shock instead of 8.75x2.75" shock as normally speced.

This will reduce the travel setings from 8" & 7" to 7.3" & 6.4".

But it will also lower the BB by about 15mm and slacken the head angle slightly (relative to noral setup).

oh and also you would be one of the very few people running the bike like this! It works perfectly as the bottom out possition is exactly the same, you just have a bit less travel.

How does that sound?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He says the bottom out position is the same so I assume there wouldn't be any issues.

Keith, that's a great idea on the Scythe but I am still leaning towards the WC due to the lighter weight and lower standover. Don't know quite yet what i am going to do.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Nope, there will be no issue with tire cleanarce running the shorter shock, as the bottom out position is exactly the same since the bottomed out shock I2I length is identical.

Thats cool man, go with what you want.

Don't be scared of running wildcard in 5" setting tho. I have ridden a LOT of DH courses in the 5" setting, and ridden them a lot faster than I ever could on my 2006 chap with 7" travel. It may only have 5" travel, but it is highly progressive, so works pretty well on DH stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.