Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
membership renounced
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about dipping my toe into the e-bike waters. Been riding mountain bikes since the early 90's. Have gotten into riding motorcycles on single-track in recent years. Always loved the big travel downhill bikes back in the day, but hated climbing on them, don't like to shuttle, and don't live near a chairlift. Thinking about buying an old DH sled with 26" wheels and a double tripple clamp front fork, and converting it to an e-bike with a mid drive of some sort. Not finding many examples of people doing this kind of thing. Seems like a natural for somebody who wants something in-between a traditional mountain bike and a real motorcycle.

Suggestions? Examples?

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
Seems like a natural for somebody who wants something in-between a traditional mountain bike and a real motorcycle.
No specific suggestions, but I suspect you are not alone. Things are still developing and early stage, but the evolution of the e-bike towards a motorcycle is not going to be stopped and the further you get towards a motorcycle the more important stuff like brakes and suspension will be due to higher speeds/weight.

So I think you'll have more and more options over the next few years.

At the moment all the out of the box turn key options will be expensive. But, as there are more options and sales increase there will be lower priced models developed to fill in the range at more attractive pricepoints.

If you are trying to do this on a budget taking the DIY approach you are talking about is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Assuming you're not too concerned with "natural" feeling pedaling (ie torque assist) and are on a limited budget, your plan is probably a good one. There will be more and more commercial options that are what you are looking for, it seems like, but they won't be cheap.

I've seen a few bikes like that around here in the last few years (DH sled + DIY mid-drive).

Remember to ride legal, of course. If I had some moto trails around here I'd be building myself something like what you describe in a hot second!

-Walt

·
membership renounced
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assuming you're not too concerned with "natural" feeling pedaling (ie torque assist) and are on a limited budget, your plan is probably a good one. There will be more and more commercial options that are what you are looking for, it seems like, but they won't be cheap.

I've seen a few bikes like that around here in the last few years (DH sled + DIY mid-drive).

Remember to ride legal, of course. If I had some moto trails around here I'd be building myself something like what you describe in a hot second!

-Walt
I really don't care about legality. Locally, we've had several trail expansion projects go through the planning process in the past year, and they've shut out motorized users on all of them. New downhill only bike trails, and roughly 50 miles of new trail are being added to the hundreds of miles I can't ride my motorcycle on legally, and we only have one freaking moto trail. This is an evolution that's going to happen weather they want it too or not. They don't have the manpower to patrol and enforce, so the only other options are to get on board, or turn a blind eye.

The cost end is pretty steep, but I'm thinking $2-3K seems doable from what I'm seeing, or am I wrong? I think a big thing would be the ability to pedal the bike without assist if the battery goes dead. Some of our trails are 25+ miles loops, and I could see using up the battery before making it all the way, but also being all downhill at that point, so no real need for the motor anyhow.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
This is an evolution that's going to happen weather they want it too or not. They don't have the manpower to patrol and enforce, so the only other options are to get on board, or turn a blind eye.
All of that is true. E-bikes will lead the way for stealth e-motos. The whole thing is becoming unenforceable and it'll be the wild west out there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thinking about buying an old DH sled with 26" wheels and a double tripple clamp front fork, and converting it to an e-bike with a mid drive of some sort.
One big concern with an aftermarket kit i.e., Bafang or TongSheng is that you lose some clearance and might want to fabricate some form of bash guard to protect your motor from rocks and such.

Also the suspension will most likely cause you trouble with battery placement. You might need to carry your battery in a backpack or on a rear rack (not the best place to carry a battery).

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
I really don't care about legality.
Seriously?

For crying out loud. This is why people don't like e-bikes. You want a moto-like experience? Awesome, so do I. Go on moto trails. You want to access nonmotorized trails? Do it legally on a normal bike or a class 1 where it's allowed. No, it won't feel like a moto. C'est la vie. There is a reason you can't ride motos most places - because they're almost completely incompatible with other trail uses.

Sooner or later the sheriff will be at the parking lots confiscating bikes, or trails will just get closed if people keep going with this kind of attitude.

-Walt

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Seriously?

For crying out loud. This is why people don't like e-bikes. You want a moto-like experience? Awesome, so do I. Go on moto trails. You want to access nonmotorized trails? Do it legally on a normal bike or a class 1 where it's allowed. No, it won't feel like a moto. C'est la vie. There is a reason you can't ride motos most places - because they're almost completely incompatible with other trail uses.

Sooner or later the sheriff will be at the parking lots confiscating bikes, or trails will just get closed if people keep going with this kind of attitude.

-Walt
This. It still surprises me how many riders completely ignore the big-picture implications for their user group in favor of their own instant gratification urges.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts

-Walt
The Sheriff is not going to inspect motorized bike after motorized bike trying to spot what's legal and what's not. If you let motors on the trails it's just going to be a progression towards electric motorcycles. Pretending otherwise is just burying your head in the sand.

Maybe the trails will get closed for everyone on a bike. At least that's any easy call for the Sheriff/Ranger/etc.. to make. I just hope nobody is shocked or surprised and says they didn't see that coming.

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
The Sheriff is not going to inspect motorized bike after motorized bike trying to spot what's legal and what's not. If you let motors on the trails it's just going to be a progression towards electric motorcycles. Pretending otherwise is just burying your head in the sand.

Maybe the trails will get closed for everyone on a bike. At least that's any easy call for the Sheriff/Ranger/etc.. to make. I just hope nobody is shocked or surprised and says they didn't see that coming.
Maybe they should just be closed to bikes with motors. That's much easier t enforce, and we all win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,203 Posts
This is an evolution that's going to happen weather they want it too or not. They don't have the manpower to patrol and enforce, so the only other options are to get on board, or turn a blind eye.
You are correct, enforcement is way to much work. Simply banning all bikes is pretty easy, though.

If you don't think this is true, then think about why aren't you riding your motorcycle everywhere.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
First off, the OP represents self-entitled douchebag trail users, a group that encompasses all modes of travel, whether on foot, on horse or on a bike or motorcycle.

Second, based upon my observation, there are many electric motorized bike enthusiasts that have adopted the "There's not enough law enforcement staff to enforce any ban of electric motorized bikes so I'll put forth no effort and will win by default" school of advocacy.

This type of advocacy is popular with all types of trail users, especially mountain bikers. Instead of investing time and effort to build trust and earn respect, they choose to ignore whatever regulations that don't agree with them. They do not care how their actions affect others so efforts to try and educate them of the "big picture", in my opinion, is a waste of time. I know many of you may disagree with this statement, and for those of you with the patience to try, I applaud you.

If your definition of success for this type of advocacy is your ability to ride your motorized electric bike on trails, regardless of legal access, I concede your advocacy model will be successful in some areas.

There was a time when lawlessness was the norm, penalty of laws was not a deterrent due to lack of enforcement. This era was romanticized by Hollywood and became known as the time of the "Wild West". The advocacy model mentioned above is a "Wild West" model. One reason this advocacy model will not be successful all the time and everywhere is because there are smart "Sheriffs" that understand how to maximize the "reach of the law" through deputizing and the concept of the posse.

Some people may not GAF about authority, of regulations or how their actions may affect others. Some people understand the efforts, the time, the commitments, the relationships and the privilege involved with trail access. If one doesn't agree with a regulation, and chooses to threaten everyone's access, well, the irony you may be in a position wishing for the Sheriff to come to your rescue cannot be overlooked.

This is an attitude issue. Not a mode of transportation issue. Granted, this specific dialog was instigated by a specific type of user but we all have seen this attitude before, from all types. Which is why I personally hope that electric motorized bikers get more organized and put out more efforts to advocate for changes to policy that negatively affect them.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Thinking about dipping my toe into the e-bike waters. Been riding mountain bikes since the early 90's. Have gotten into riding motorcycles on single-track in recent years. Always loved the big travel downhill bikes back in the day, but hated climbing on them, don't like to shuttle, and don't live near a chairlift. Thinking about buying an old DH sled with 26" wheels and a double tripple clamp front fork, and converting it to an e-bike with a mid drive of some sort. Not finding many examples of people doing this kind of thing. Seems like a natural for somebody who wants something in-between a traditional mountain bike and a real motorcycle.

Suggestions? Examples?
Haibike makes a very high quality, Class 1 DH bike: https://www.randombikeparts.com/col...16-5-downhill-gravity-mtb-electric-e-bike-new

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
A quick check of the OP's post history reveals no cycling-related posts over the last year (only boozing and diet) along with obvious troll posts in the e-bike forum about a year ago (including having no interest in e-bikes). The intention of this new thread is obvious and it accomplished exactly what was intended.

Don't reply, just report. Anyone who doesn't "care about legality" shouldn't be taken seriously. There's an entire forum elsewhere where people celebrate that kind of nonsense. You don't gain respect by voicing open contempt for the law.
Just FYI, FC has specifically told the mods we shouldn't touch the e-bike forum. K and I have argued for years for a strong policy against illegal riding/bikes being discussed here, but the powers that be have pretty much tied our hands on that.

Please do report posts, though. Maybe it'll nudge the owners of the site in the right direction.

-Walt

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.