Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'd appreciate some input from those in the know ...

I have a 2006ish Rocky Mountain RMX with XT brake levers and saint calipers. Was going to order in some new pads and had read that the ebc red brake pads work really well but wear fast. I read the review here on MTBR but the last entry was from 2007 and it sounds like they've changed the compound.

Feedback on the ebc reds?? Other recommendations??

Thx for the help!!

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
I have had good luck with the straight Shimano XT metallic and the resin as well. They are usually about 20 bucks a brake at the shop. You can find for 15 on the net.

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
any metallic pads are great for here in the desert...organics just go so quick. I've had good luck with EBC's never tried the reds though. As long as I get metallic's I'm happy. Brake pads is brake pads...as long as they stop you they are good and they are just gonna wear out so buy a couple sets!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Brake pads have very different resins , friction material , backing support material and all have a very different sliding coefficent of friction designed to work with a certin type of metalurgy in a givin rotor.

So no, a brake pad is not a brake pad, and a rotor is not a rotor, ( they are designed to work with their designed counterparts for a particular discipline of riding.)

Ever used cheep pads or the wrong pads on your truck or car , ------they do not work well , and overheat the rotors, and make lots of noise, -------------the same will happen to any braking system.

You always want to start with the pad the rotors were designed around , if you have troubble with noise , fading or overheating your rotors , you will need to look at the correct brake fluid, and size of rotors for your particular use.

Rotors should be glass or soda blasted and cleaned and straightened before installing the new correct pads on them .

I find for me that the organic pads made for avid work very well for my 203mm avid rotors ,
I have good modulation for techy sections, and they work very well and do make noise and work great on long fast DH runs .
I generally can not use any of the metalic pads , they are so grabby when hot that it screws up my balance and the are noisey and overheat standerd fluid .

You will just have to see for yourself witch of the correct pads work for you

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NMPhi767 said:
I have had good luck with the straight Shimano XT metallic and the resin as well. They are usually about 20 bucks a brake at the shop. You can find for 15 on the net.
I think this is the route I'll go since you have the same brake setup and yours actually work! :eekster:

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
TurtleGerl said:
I think this is the route I'll go since you have the same brake setup and yours actually work! :eekster:
This is probably what you want if you want them to last a little longer, get the resin if you want more bite (though I can't tell too much of a difference).

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Metal-Brake-BR-M965-130170/dp/B001513B40/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

If we bleed them and clean the rotors, that might do the trick without new pads since it felt so spongy. Having some pads laying around though is always a good idea I guess so I guess it it not a waste of cash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.