Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The key here is BIKES, as in more than one!

Please:

1) If you have never tried to put (2) 50+ lbs bikes on a hitch rack resist the urge to respond.

2) If your brother's cousin's sisters, wife said she might know somebody who knows Feris . . . well you get the idea.

I would like to hear from folks that put 2 very heavy downhill bikes on a hitch mount rack.

What rack are you using? how does it work, do you like it?

I tried the new/old Sportworks "T2" and found that it put the bikes farther away from the back of the SUV than I would like (i.e. lots of weight out at the end of a long stick bolted to the back of our car) Not what I would call the best option.

I have a Yakima "hitchfork" and put 2 "kingcobra's" on it, but that puts the bikes VERY close together, which can cause pedal conflicts and platform pedals on DH bikes can cause MAJOR damage to monocoque frames, as well as regular frames.

I see that Yakima has a new model to compete with the Sportworks models, and Thule just aquired Sportworks, are there other options that work better? Hollywood? Saris?

If I'm taking a long road trip with 6 or 7 grand worth of bikes bouncing behind my SUV, I think if they were to fall off, well that might ruin my trip . . .

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
I've also got a Sportworks DH/Freeride model and it's been sweet. I know what your saying about the distance off the rear, but honestly it's never been an issue so I'm not sure what your worried about. What bothers you about it??

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I have the new T2 which is working nicely, but it is NOT approved for bikes over 40 pounds. You can't be too choosy with pedal contact vs. "bikes too far out" if we're talking 50 pound bikes. I certainly wouldn't HANG a heavy bike on a road trip on a Yakima or Thule.

Honestly? You need a pickup truck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use the Sportworks Transport with 3 mounts on the back of a Toyota Tacoma. We carry a Norco A-Line, a Norco Shore, and a 40lb. Azonic Saber. I've had about 160lbs. on there with no problems. We drive the roads of Pennsylvania and New Jersey which are notorious because they are craptastically bumpy. One problem with this rack is the wheel trays it comes with, they are a bit too small for tires 2.3 and above depending on the manufacturer. This is easily fixable because Sportworks makes wider trays, but they do cost around $30 each if I remember correctly.

I know you asked for no grapevine material, but I have seen and installed the new Yakima Hookup on the vehicles of several customers at the shop I work at. Yakima promoting this rack as being able to take FR/DH bikes in every wheel tray, not just the one closest to the hitch. Most other rack companies with similar products are somewhat shady about how heavy is too heavy above the 40lb. mark. The Yakima also holds the bikes in a steadier and more secure manner, and does not rub the paint off of some fork lowers like the Sportworks does.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, these babies ain't not panzy XC bikes

I guess with all that weight being at the end of a rack, it seems like you are puting a lot of leverage on the hitch (yea, I know the hitch is rated for like 4 or 5 hundred lbs tung (sp) weight) but somehow it just makes me a little "uneasy" watching our bikes bouncing around back there.

Plus, it puts them up so high you can't see out the back very well and other drivers can't see your brake lights (as if that seems to matter to THEM)

Yes, I wish I had a full-sized truck to haul them in, but I'm sorry to say, I/We don't so we must make do with what we have . . .

Yes, they are heavy, and would hate to have to get them replaced . . . or watch them go skidding along the freeway in a big heap!!! I have nightmares just thinking about it.

Attachments

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Sportworks

I also use the Sportworks Transport rack with wider hoops for DH tires. It works great! Here's a pic with 2 DH bikes and an Enduro on the hitch. Loading and unloading the 40+ lb bikes takes a few seconds.

Attachments

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
DJBiker said:
I guess with all that weight being at the end of a rack, it seems like you are puting a lot of leverage on the hitch (yea, I know the hitch is rated for like 4 or 5 hundred lbs tung (sp) weight) but somehow it just makes me a little "uneasy" watching our bikes bouncing around back there.

Plus, it puts them up so high you can't see out the back very well and other drivers can't see your brake lights (as if that seems to matter to THEM)

Yes, I wish I had a full-sized truck to haul them in, but I'm sorry to say, I/We don't so we must make do with what we have . . .

Yes, they are heavy, and would hate to have to get them replaced . . . or watch them go skidding along the freeway in a big heap!!! I have nightmares just thinking about it.
Now don't get me wrong I'm not bagging on you and I completely understand your apprehension, but your worrying for nothing. There is no way to completely protect your bikes, as long as your transporting your bike on the outside of any vehicle, be in on a roof rack, truck bed or hitch rack. I've seen bikes come off roof racks in accidents, fall out of truck beds and fall off hitch racks. Some where the drivers fault, others where due to accidents caused by other drivers.

I drive around so.cal, lots of traffic, and travel to Tahoe and Vegas with my bike and have never had any close calls. If anything, I've become a better drive because I pay more attention to others and leave myself more options in traffic, don't stop or crive so close or behind other cars in case I need to make a quick adjustment due to some stupid driver on a cell phone or putting on her makeup. Anyhow, I think you get the picture and trust me after you've spent some time driving around with a hitch rack, you'll relax a bit. Good luck whatever you decide to due. :cool:

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perfect, a pathfinder/QX4 or whatever is what we have . . .

davet said:
That's what I wanted to see! thanks.

Yes, I'm sure my fears are unfounded. We picked up one (for $350, ouch) and assembled it but it still seemed "not perfect" and it put the bikes farther away than our other rack, so back to the store it went . . . (with the T2 the bike's pedal closest to the SUV was 16 inches away from the hatchlid, with our other rack it was 11inches, so we opted for older Hitchfork with two kingcobra's on it for now, unless I can find something I "like" better.

Thanks for all the input, I feel somewhat better about it. It just may be that I have an unatural fear of bike racks, guys names smith and snakes . . . I may need some downhill therapy . . .

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
If it's allowing your hitch & bikes to bounce around, you better be glad it is that far away from your car/truck. Sounds like its fully capable of holdin' the weight, best to make it more stable & be glad it hasn't knocked out your rear window.

·
Banned
683 Posts
Here is my hitch rack...it is by Yakima, but I am not sure what model it is. I am not even sure they make this particular rack anymore...but they should. My DH9 weighs 50 pounds and the other 2 bikes are 40 something each. It hold the bikes but setting the rims in the dished out sections, then pulling a rubber stap over the top of the tires. Then at the bottom, to keep things from moving around there are plastic hooks that hook to the bottom of your rims and you pull the strap tight. This rack is by far the best rack I have used. You can haul 3 bikes, plus spare tires in between each bike as buffers. If this rack ever wheres out...I will have another built just like it, if Yakama doesnt still sell it. If anyone wants better pictures of it...let me know.

Attachments

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
I have the new T2 which is working nicely, but it is NOT approved for bikes over 40 pounds. You can't be too choosy with pedal contact vs. "bikes too far out" if we're talking 50 pound bikes. I certainly wouldn't HANG a heavy bike on a road trip on a Yakima or Thule.

Honestly? You need a pickup truck.
wrong...

Like Kanter said..the T2 was especially designed to hold bikes that are up to 60lbs...

I have one right now and LOVE it...much stronger than my older TranSport series rack.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just picked up a SC bullit so now I'm looking at getting a good rack for it. My first choice is the Sportswork Freerider DH. Is there an option for a 3rd or 4th tray? Just curious because there might be that occasional day when a friend or two wants to tag along. Also does Yakima make anything comparable to the Freerider DH? Unless I'm blind, none of the racks on their site are rated for a specific weight so thats why I was asking. I can get really good prices on Yakima stuff from my LBS. thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.