Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 06 Iron Horse 7Point5. It's my first DH bike. Ive ridden Walmart bikes forever so I was totally eriksson to get this. I've ridden. Bootleg and Mt Charleston.. I know this bike is heavier than most. And I'm like 5'4 and about 160. Not a big guy. I feel like id be able to better control my bike if.it was a little lighter. Is this an accurate assumption. If so any recommendations on the bike I should save up for.

·
bike rider
5,495 Posts
Yes, a lighter bike can be flicked around easier and is less tiring. Getting a durable DH bike below 38lb costs $$$$ though so maybe better to beat on your current bike for a season and get the majority of your crashing out of the way. When you've got $4500- $6000 saved up the top 1 or 2 models from every major company are reasonably light.

·
Wait for me!
687 Posts
So I have a 06 Iron Horse 7Point5. It's my first DH bike. Ive ridden Walmart bikes forever so I was totally eriksson to get this. I've ridden. Bootleg and Mt Charleston.. I know this bike is heavier than most. And I'm like 5'4 and about 160. Not a big guy. I feel like id be able to better control my bike if.it was a little lighter. Is this an accurate assumption. If so any recommendations on the bike I should save up for.
Get some wider bars and get stronger, lol. Really though, if you don't have pro racer finesse and flow extra weight can be a good thing. My DH bike weighs 41 lbs, it has made me stronger and it's a bulldozer. I like how it just plows through stuff. Momentum is good when your learning, as I am also.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
Yes, a lighter bike can be flicked around easier and is less tiring. Getting a durable DH bike below 38lb costs $$$$ though so maybe better to beat on your current bike for a season and get the majority of your crashing out of the way. When you've got $4500- $6000 saved up the top 1 or 2 models from every major company are reasonably light.

yep...not worth upgrading current bike

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
5'4" also and 150 wet weight... I ride a 43-pound bike and I've taken it down Bootleg Canyon. I don't think a lighter bike would help me there... except hiking up to the start of the trail (zipline).

I don't necessarily think a light bike is the answer to everything either. As whoop said, maybe play around with wider bars/stem combos to feel better on the bike. I got to try a friend's really nice V10c yesterday and felt miserable going down a local DH run... it's a great bike, just not set up for me.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think lighter helps, but while learning you can get by on anything. My bike probably weighs around 40 lbs. Not bad, but not amazing either. I've tried my friends' V10c, Aurum, Demo 8 that all weigh 37lbs or less. I definitely enjoyed them and felt their were a bit more responsive and maneuverable, but it wasn't mind blowing. Also, if you're not active on your bike (flowing, popping, moving it around) then it may not benefit you as much. How much does your bike weigh? If it's 45lbs or more than it should be pretty easy to upgrade to something in the 40lb or less range. You can always upgrade to a decent newer bike that isn't top of the line in terms of spec, but has a good frame and upgrade components as money comes in to take it from 40-42 lbs down to the 37-39lb range.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well on that note anyone headed to bootleg anytime soon. I always end up riding by myself. And you always get better riding with other ppl

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said before I have an 06 IH 7Point. Everyone keeps telling to get a different bike. So I've been liking..figured I'd get a frame cheap thru pink bike..looking at 3 one is an 08 KHS Lucky 7 another is 01 M1 said he's ridden in twice. Another is a Big Earl complete. All are around 800...any thoughts

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can pick up a frame realy cheap from pinkbike and build from there. Building can be more expensive but not if you have a couple nice bits from your old bike to swap over. I just picked up a mountain cycle shockwave with e13 srs guide, race face diabolus seat post, saint cranks, direct mount stem and a headset all for £300!. Running your bike with single crowns can also shave off a little weight and make the bike feel a bit more maneuverable. Especially if you won't be riding parks or wc dh runs every weekend.

·
bike rider
5,495 Posts
Like I said before I have an 06 IH 7Point. Everyone keeps telling to get a different bike. So I've been liking..figured I'd get a frame cheap thru pink bike..looking at 3 one is an 08 KHS Lucky 7 another is 01 M1 said he's ridden in twice. Another is a Big Earl complete. All are around 800...any thoughts
Keep saving till you can get a newer frame. Sorry, that's not advice you wanna hear but your 7point is a good frame and those you mentioned aren't big enough upgrades. What you want is a frame that's 3 years oldish and either the same generation as current or 1 generation old. $1300 should get you a scratched but good condition example.
Demo, Glory, V10, Session 88, ect. I bet there's still a lot of riding and improving left in your current ride, at least enough to hold you over for a couple months of overtime/picking up shifts.

·
2DK
25 Posts
7 Point is a great frame and many called it a mini Sunday (Sam Hill didn't complain). Not many affordable bikes out there with a DW Link. Do a quick google search for 7points on craigslist and they're going for $1200 plus. See frames on e bay occasionally and they sell quickly. Granted I'm a weekend warrior and can't afford a new $5,000 bike. So if you're not rolling in dough like me, why not spend the money to get fitted and perhaps the LBS can make some suggestions to properly fit your current ride?

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
^this. I think someone weighed the stock wheels and tires a lower end 7pt and they ended up being around 20lbs. Insane!

I rode a strangers 7pt with full xt and a fox 40 up front and thought it was amazing, but I haven't been on alot of bigger bikes like most of you.

I think the 7pt is a great bike to upgrade..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I keep hearing from my shops not to spend any money on this bike. And there is a much broder opinion here. So it probibly wouldn't hurt to. Rebuild the fork and get a newer rear shock. It's got the 5th element on it...

·
2DK
25 Posts
They are absolutely right 7point. Your bike sucks, sell it and buy their Specialized, Trek, Kona, (insert dealer stocked brands here). I haven't seen your bike but search the blog posts for the 7 Point model. Like I said, I'm a weekend warrior (damn responsibilities!!!) as are most people that I encounter on the trails. I am blown away by some of the bikes I see and the amount of dough other weekend warriors spend on bikes/ gear. Although I’m 38 I still skateboard and grew up riding BMX. We always called the rich kids “poseurs” with their ridiculously expensive gear. Unless of course they could show and prove.
I’m not a pro nor am I hucking off 20 foot cliffs or clearing massive gaps. Would I ride better on a bike that weighed 5 less pounds and ran a 2x10 instead of my outdated 2x9? Probably not. If I dropped 5 pounds, increased my stamina and stepped out of my comfort zone then I’d be a better rider. A lot of the dudes on here should be riding ridiculously expensive bikes as they race and hit mind blowing sh*t. I’m not one of them and it sounds like neither are you. Check out craigslist and ebay. Buy the lightly used, mid grade gear from guys that caught upgrade ittis. Now I’m stepping off my soap box

·
bike rider
5,495 Posts
If you're not happy with the 5th Element Avalanche can rebuild it with much better internals. This makes it a whole different shock, custom tuned to your frame for much less than a new or even used shock. When you sell the frame or bike in the future this should add $100-200 to its value (no one wants a stock 5th) so you'll get most of the cost back. Rebuild the fork yourself and get a lighter wheelset and you'll think you're on a new bike. If you really wanna drop more weight a seat, post, handlebar, stem, and Titec Porkrinds grips will drop another 2+lbs fom the extremities of the bike where you'll feel it most. Don't bother with the expense of dropping weight from the center (crank, pedals, Ti spring).
Did you do the Boulder City DH & SD races in Feb? I was the guy who ran the obstacle course between seading and race runs. Say hi next year!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I just got the buke but ill be doing it next year. I ride as often as i can to practice. This usually means a 22mile bike ride to boulder city on my 7Point ride up the hill get 3-4 runs then ride home. Usually by myself because all the wusses in vegas think its too hot lol. Would love someone to.ride with when u goin.up there next.

·
Living the High Life
4,543 Posts
If you're pedaling that fat a lighter wheelset will help. But Bootleg may eat light rims pretty fast. Isn't the 7 point a 135mm? If that's the case any drivetrain or wheel upgrades may be a bad idea.

Sounds like either ride it or get a new one from the peanut gallery here, I agree.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts