Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a DH bike, and won't be able to try before I buy. Looking at the geo of DH bikes, the top tube of the large DH bikes I'm looking at (Glory and Sunday) seems to be a size up from my Large Nomad. Does this mean I should be looking at a Medium DH bike where I ride a Large Nomad (roughly same TT length according to geo charts), or is there a reason for the roughly inch longer TT measurement on the DH bikes and I should be looking for a Large again?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am in a similar position. I have learned that with DH bikes you can not go by the TT length alone.

To get a good idea, check for a "reach" measurement. It is also personal preference, some riders prefer small DH rigs.

How tall are you?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. I'm just under 6ft and normally ride large bikes. I'm looking for a 2nd hand DH rig, and have my eye on a Iron Horse Sunday in medium. The TT is 23.6in I think and the guy selling it is also 6ft, so assume it will be OK?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I find at 6 ft you and I are at the top end of the medium and the bottom end of a large. I purchased a 2010 Giant glory medium and felt it ws a bit small for me. I love the bike and have gotten used to it but if I had to do it over again I would have gone with a large. The 2009 Glory though was a bigger bike and a medium was a good fit.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks again.

Daisycutter, have you ridden both the '10 and '09 Glory's? Looking at the geo charts the '10 is longer than the '09, did you not find this to be the case? It seems like the geo charts for the earlier models may not have been that accurate from what I've read so I'm interested in your comment that the '09 felt bigger as I have found a good deal on one of those too (well an '08 but I think the frames are the same?)

·
My bike is cooler then me
229 Posts
To original poster/ whom it may concern.

Most frame makers give a ruff height to size index for the frames they make. as you might notice even in each frame there is some over lap and gaps in height call out. this is because the frame size of a bike has everything to do with you and not what someone else thinks you should ride. factors like stem, stack and bar height can make or break a frame fit alone.

with this, the issue becomes you personal knowledge of what you want, like or need. as well as what the frame actually ends up to be.

I am 5-10 and ride a Large 2010 Glory, a large C'dale Moto, and a Large Giant XTC 29er.
My Wife is 5-10 and rides a Medium Reign X and Giant XTC 29er.
My Best friend is 5-10 and rides a Medium Nomad and TR Blindside (ver1).

the major difference in sizing between me and my crew is not height. My leg length is longer, and my body mass is much more in the chest then my wife and best friend. I prefer a MUCH taller stack and bar then he does. Where he has a direct mount stem on his Boxxer with flat bars, I rock 4mm of stack with high rise bars. the longer frame lets me lay out and get my mass lower then a smaller would. all the while i keep a good seat post height.

So as it turns out its all on you. as i read it you like a larger frame so i would stick on the larger side. I can tell you 90% of people will tell you to opt for a smaller frame. where it is easier to make a small frame bigger. just dealing with a Large IMO is much better then forcing long stems and set back post if you know a larger will suit you.

When i look at bike frames i look at this fact: what am i doing with it? a DH bike has three basic functions. DH racing, Park Riding, and FR. I ride more park for fun and i do not do much free ride which means i don't need a tweeky flicky short frame, and i do not race pro so i don't need one that is custom glove fit. I opt for what i now i will like to spend 4-8 hours on... which for me is a larger size then most.

not so much giving help as giving perspective.

happy hunting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.