Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a DH bike - Scott voltage fr 710 - and I didn't realize how short seat tube DH bikes have in general. The seat post it came with can be barely be inserted to the minimal insertion mark. The seat height is not efficient for pedaling (I know you are not really supposed to pedal on DH bike while sitting) and it is too high to do jumps (at least for my liking). So I cannot move the seat higher or lower. Putting a dropper seat post seems like the best option, but what do you think?

I am coming from a trail bike with a dropper seat post so now I am a little bit confused. I read a lot of posts here about droppers on a DH bike and I got the feel not a lot of people do it. I am 5"11, I have a large bike, the seat is barely below handlebars height.

So my questions are
1) Should I cut the seatpost a little bit to be more comfortable while jumping, but sacrifice pedaling efficiency.
2) Should I just get used to the height?
3) Should I buy a dropper? I checked the sizes and I should be able to fit a 125 or 150 dropper.

·
Professional MTBR Member
510 Posts
You can chop the post but make sure the saddle doesn't hit the tire.

Dropper posts aren't all that useful with DH cassettes. You can do it, but it may be more of a hassle than it's worth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I am thinking about cutting it slowly until I find the right position. I just don't want to end up with a seatpost too short for any kind of traveling between riding places.

·
Professional MTBR Member
510 Posts
So far I am thinking about cutting it slowly until I find the right position. I just don't want to end up with a seatpost too short for any kind of traveling between riding places.
I think the reality is that the bike is going to suck to pedal no matter what. Even at the highest possible position, the saddle will be too low.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think the reality is that the bike is going to suck to pedal no matter what. Even at the highest possible position, the saddle will be too low.
This. Saddle position plus saddle angle. DH bikes suck to pedal across the parking lot, nevermind going down flat trails with them.

·
Kick Start My Heart
624 Posts
kristyna,
I hear ya. This was a huge deal on my DH sled. I had the same concerns. At the end of the day, seatposts and position are one of the least concerns of Park.
I ran a long post, I could pedal, but the inside of my thighs looked like a lap dance gone bad. The seat just kept getting in the way. I cut it short, so I could run it low, and when needing to pedal, use the QR, and manually bring it up. Not the most efficient position, way lower than my trail machine, but something. Nowhere near a safe 'minimum insertion', but for the most part pedaling is the parking lot, and maybe a few longer hills. We aren't talking the kind of pedalling that requires a maximum efficient position.
This year, I've been working on maintaining attack position, keeping my weight up and over the BB, staying flexible, and the seat is just not part of that, and I barely ever raise it. If anything, I may use the nose to push the bike, or feel where it is. Sitting doesn't come to mind, it's more of a tired position, or I stand.
So yeah, an efficient seat post position on a DH seems impossible, but it's pretty much by design.
Hang in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a DH bike - Scott voltage fr 710 - and I didn't realize how short seat tube DH bikes have in general. The seat post it came with can be barely be inserted to the minimal insertion mark. The seat height is not efficient for pedaling (I know you are not really supposed to pedal on DH bike while sitting) and it is too high to do jumps (at least for my liking). So I cannot move the seat higher or lower. Putting a dropper seat post seems like the best option, but what do you think?

I am coming from a trail bike with a dropper seat post so now I am a little bit confused. I read a lot of posts here about droppers on a DH bike and I got the feel not a lot of people do it. I am 5"11, I have a large bike, the seat is barely below handlebars height.

So my questions are
1) Should I cut the seatpost a little bit to be more comfortable while jumping, but sacrifice pedaling efficiency.
2) Should I just get used to the height?
3) Should I buy a dropper? I checked the sizes and I should be able to fit a 125 or 150 dropper.
I'm in agreement with the the others - DH bikes not designed for pedaling, gravity rules. I'm doing the same thing now on my Giant Glory DH rig and will cut the post as need to get to right lowest height and not worried about a good pedaling height....that's what Snowshoe season passes and chair lifts are for. I run my seat angle flat but have seen others angle slightly upward....whatever feels best for you but definitely lower it and out of the way for DH and bike park rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.