Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hitting Mammoth on closing weekend I decided I want a DH bike. The bottom bracket on my AS-X is too high and the HA is too steep. I want something lower and slacker.

My large AS-X fits great. I'm 6'5" and the 24" top tube is perfect.

When it comes to suspension systems it doesn't matter to me. FSR, single, VPP whatever.

My ideal geo numbers would be 14" bb height, 65 head angle, 24 top tube, and around 8inches of travel.

I really like the Turner DHR and Morewood but I'm scared they'll be too small.

Recommend me a DH bike!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Iron Horse Sunday in a 19" large has a 24.5" TT and a 13.9" bottom bracket. It probably won't feel as long as the 24.5" would lead you to believe only because the seat tube is at a rather slack angle so the linkage and shock stuff all works.

Being a big guy (6'5") I can tell you that the large Iron Horse frames (Sunday, 7Point) are indeed pretty friggin big. I ride a large 7Point (19", 24" TT) and I can tell you that next season I'm probably going to be buying another 7Point but in medium then switching out my shocks/bits to that since I prefer smaller frames. The large is great and handles great at highspeed but I think I could use a bit less cockpit to make getting the front end up off drops (and getting behind on steep roll-ins) a lot easier.

But that's just me. My friends think I'm insane and that I'll look like a circus bear riding a BMX. But what the hell do they know, they ride Santa Cruz V10's and shop at IKEA.

EDIT: I should also add that one of the guys I ride with all the time just switched from his beloved ASX to a medium 7Point because of the lower BB, better cornering, and better DH prowess over the ASX.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Obviously the old Yeti DH-9's would be on the list. The large DHR would be in that range for TT length, albeit ugly as sin. Gotta promote my R9 a bit, since you just described its geometry perfectly (and for the hell of it, it performed amazingly at Mammoth on closing weekend, the thing felt absolutely dialed). The Morewood will sit insanely low compared to your ASX but will be long enough.

From what I remember, the Canfields were long enough for a bigger guy but still had a pretty short TT so the cockpit was somewhat forwards, sorta like the Demo but not quite as whacked out in the geometry department.

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
6'4" - I won't look @ frames unless they are labled XL. I went thru months of DH manufactures geo. spec's and found too many effective TT lengths that made bikes seem larger than they were. The XL VP Free is a big frame, the pre 05' large V 10's had some size. I currently ride an 01' XL Bullit 7.2" rear travel, 14.5" BB height and 65 * HA. I find it amusing when guys tell me to check out mediums.

·
Registered
729 Posts
im not sure what the sizes are,but what about an orange?peats pretty tall

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Second the Sunday

Just like HBT I have a Large 7p7 and it rides nice and big. I reckon the Sunday with the lower BB, longer TT and slacker HA would be a fantastic bike for big fellas.

Comes in lots of versions this year, should be one that's perfect for your budget.

JMH

·
Registered
251 Posts
Whats the right TT length for someone 6'4" - 6'7"? I would say 24 to 25.5 max, but a seat tube thats long enough to not have to run a gigantic seat post when you have to pedal. I'm 6'6" and I dig my DirtBag, but I wish it had a longer seat tube like turner puts on the RFX.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking a Sunday or Glory is the ticket. The Morewood seems so attractive because of their weight. However, they will pedal like poo. My home DH trail (Mt. Wilson) isn't all that steep and requires quite a bit of pedaling.

A Glory or Sunday with a 36T up front and 11-34 cassette would fit the bill.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Turner will be making an limited run XL sized Highline in spring. EIO, El Chingon and a few others have a thread on the Turner board titled something like "sign up for your XL Highline"...... While the Highline might not be considered a true DH frame like the DHR, Sunday or Glory, I think it's versatility will mean the bike would get more use.....plus 8" of travel and a slacker angle than your ASX means more speed and more fun at the lift accessible places.

Might be a good bike to look at.....albeit not cheap.

EBX

·
Registered
447 Posts
Downtube not toptube

I'm 6'3" and usually ride mediums, because I like nimble bikes.

One thing to keep in mind is that on most downhill runs, you're standing up. In which case a short toptube keeps the seat forward and out of your way. So unless you ride a lot of pedally courses where you are sitting down, what you really want to be concerned with is the DOWNTUBE length. This is what determines your body position while you are standing.

To give an example, I used to ride a Cortina DH-8 and although it had top tube that was the same as my Chumba F4, the downtube was so short that as soon as I was out of the saddle, it was like riding a BMX bike. The downtube was a good 1 1/2" shorter then the Chumba.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers don't provide this info in there geo charts, although I am starting to see it more now. So you'll either need to get out the tape measure or ask directly.

You need to measure from the center of the BB to the center of the lower headtube.

·
Canfield Bikes
1,140 Posts
Nagaredama said:
After hitting Mammoth on closing weekend I decided I want a DH bike. The bottom bracket on my AS-X is too high and the HA is too steep. I want something lower and slacker.

My large AS-X fits great. I'm 6'5" and the 24" top tube is perfect.

When it comes to suspension systems it doesn't matter to me. FSR, single, VPP whatever.

My ideal geo numbers would be 14" bb height, 65 head angle, 24 top tube, and around 8inches of travel.

I really like the Turner DHR and Morewood but I'm scared they'll be too small.

Recommend me a DH bike!
The numbers are right. HA is shown with a boxxer but a 888 would be 65deg.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts