Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you consider as a low end DH bike, if there is such a category?

I plan to buy my first DH bike and have my eyes on the Norco Atomik which fits my budget of $3000. I noticed that many DH bikes are over $4000. Would the Atomik be considered low end as it is the cheapest of the Norco DH bikes? I've read good things about it tho.

What are the obvious things that you would notice from a Glory from an Atomik? Basically I just want a solid comfortable rig that doesn't have little things loosening or breaking all the time. Of course things will break and need to be replaced, but I think you know what I'm trying to ask.:thumbsup:

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Another option is the 2010 Mongoose Boot'R. Performance Bike, if you can go to a shop, will order one for around 2800. If you can get to them on one of those 10% off days, you might even pay less. MSRP is 2999 otherwise and it has a much better parts spec than the Norco. Better brakes, a better fork in my mind, better pedals, better rims, same rear shock, better stem, bar, shifters, and derailers, better everything really....Some might give you crap for buying a Goose, but I have heard lots of good things about them lately.

If I hadn't of found my DH rig used and in great condition for very cheap, I would have picked this up.

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn...ent/Dual-Suspension/Details/2771-M10BOO-BootR

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Both those bikes are great deals. I really like the look and layout of the Norco frame. It was nice in 2009 and I met a lot of people who loved theirs. Aparently its been refined for 2010. However, the Boxxer fork and Code calipers matched with Elixer levers on the Goose are pretty sweet.
I guess I'd have to get more reviews of the Goose frame before going that direction though.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
pacing08 said:
I plan to buy my first DH bike and have my eyes on the Norco Atomik which fits my budget of $3000. :
first DH bike and you will probably thrash it pretty quick (assuming you are a beginner rider)

what I would do is buy a used bike...ride it for a year and then sell it (for about same price) and then spend the money on a new bike....why learn and thrash a new bike where an older one won't damage your pocket book

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
first DH bike and you will probably thrash it pretty quick (assuming you are a beginner rider)

what I would do is buy a used bike...ride it for a year and then sell it (for about same price) and then spend the money on a new bike....why learn and thrash a new bike where an older one won't damage your pocket book
+1

some sound advice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:

I would be a beginner DH biker. I've been riding for two years now using a Trek 6000 hardtail for mainly XC riding, but I've done some technical terrain (big roots, long singletrack descents etc.) in Santa Cruz including 3-4 drops with it and handled fine with a group of people who were all using AM bikes. I've also done doubles and a table top with it at a local spot by my place. I know resort riding is completely different, but I wouldn't say I'm foreign to handling a bike on gnarly terrain, so I think.:confused:

By the way, where can you sample different DH rigs. All shops tend to have AM and XC bikes to try. It's as if customers would just have to buy without trying the bike and special orders cannot be returned.

·
Registered
517 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:

Yep, exactly what I was going to say. A popular first DH bike is an older Specialized Big Hit. They can be had for pretty cheap and it's a great bike to start out on. I sold my 2006 Big Hit and have regretted it ever since. This is only my preference, but look for a 2006 and on because prior to 2006, they had a 24in rear wheel. Some ppl love that, other's hate it. Just make sure whatever used bike you buy, you're fully aware if the condition it's in. If it seems too good to be true, most likely it is.

If you refuse to buy used and want that warranty with a new bike, nothing wrong with that either. 3k will buy you a very good bike.

·
Takin'er easy
184 Posts
Check it:

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/ventana-el-cuervo--13F50000-1116899930.jsp

Give us a call, or shoot me an e-mail and we can put together a build kit for you on this frame. I have been in this business for a bit now, and I have never seen a better bike for a better price. Do a search on these or any other forums and you will find very few negative views of this frame. I am biased because we helped design the frame, and we have all ridden and raced these bikes for years.

As for the whole buy-used argument, there are certainly some gems out there to be had, but I would say there are more lemons than gems. Being new to the sport, it may be hard to distinguish what is in good shape and what is not. If you buy used, look at a minimum of 20 bikes before you purchase. Whichever way you go, expect to spend a lot of money in up-keep, transportation, beer, etc. DH is the most logistically complicated form of cycling.

The Turner doesn't suck either:

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/turner-dhr--160B0000-1131418755.jsp

·
Registered
100 Posts
Buy Used

$3,000 will buy a heck of alot of used bike right now. This recession has dropped the values of Dh rigs by a ton. There are alot of bikes out there built by dreamers that never really rode them and figure their the first toy to go. You can buy a sweet complete DHR for $3,000. Do your homework, sit tight and you'll find a plum. Are you sure you want a downhill rig? You say you want to ride parks, you might want to look into a 7 inch bike. Maybe a Demo 7 or Turner Highline or such.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/528377/

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
mjsca07 said:
If you refuse to buy used and want that warranty with a new bike, nothing wrong with that either. 3k will buy you a very good bike.
my LBS gave my a 5 month warranty with the bike i bought from them, it was used as well. at the time i would have been hard pressed to find any thing better for the money. (in that time i blow the shock to smitheries and they rebuilt no questions asked)

there is a buyer market at the moment, take advantage, but choose wisely.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
I see Spesh Demos on Ebay all the time in great condition well within your budget. I know that some are really against ebay for bikes, but I see it as no different than buying off the internet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
pacing08 said:
I would be a beginner DH biker. I've been riding for two years now using a Trek 6000 hardtail for mainly XC riding, but I've done some technical terrain (big roots, long singletrack descents etc.) in Santa Cruz including 3-4 drops with it and handled fine with a group of people who were all using AM bikes. I've also done doubles and a table top with it at a local spot by my place. I know resort riding is completely different, but I wouldn't say I'm foreign to handling a bike on gnarly terrain, so I think.:confused:

By the way, where can you sample different DH rigs. All shops tend to have AM and XC bikes to try. It's as if customers would just have to buy without trying the bike and special orders cannot be returned.
please check your pm's....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah I agree with Norbar the Ventana is hell of a deal. I mean the elka shock itself retails at 500. You could easily build that up to around 3000. It would make a great first DH bike, id get in contact with Go-Ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.