Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
For the last 3 seasons I have been racing/riding a dh-9 and have been recently contemplating getting a new frame. The dh-9 has been a great bike, but as I have moved to NM the riding seems a little tighter and less steep than what I was used to at Vail and Keystone. Current set up is 07 888rc2x, codes, lg1, pushed rc, etc. At Angel Fire the 9 was a great setup, but at pajarito the trails are much different and I will be spending a majority of this season there.
The main thing that I am looking for is if anyone who has ridden the dh-9 that made the transition to the 303 what the differences were. I would be moving nearly all my parts over minus the rear wheel as that was a different set up than on the 303.
I have also toyed with the idea of the rotec r9 as I do like the geo on that versus my ride.
In terms of what kind of rider I am it would be somewhere between sport/expert class on speed/cornering/jumping, and have put about 4800 miles on an asx that has been used for trail riding and Dh'ing when the dh-9 needs repairs. The asx is a whole different animal than the 9 in terms of handling and I was hoping that the 303 is closer to the asx than the 9 when cornering but still has the speed handling of the 9 in the rocks/steeps.

Any info would be great!

Thanks

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
I rode a DH-9 in Colorado/New Mexico/Utah for three seasons, switched to the 303 with the first production run in '06 and am now on an '08 303 and don't miss my beloved DH-9 even a little bit.

Even at "steep" Keystone and Vail the 303 is a more solidly preforming bike all the way around. The wheelbase is shorter but not so short you can't really let it run wide open, and now you can actually TURN the bike whereas the DH-9 felt sluggish in tighter sections.

I've ridden a DH-9, AS-X, and 303 at Angel Fire specifically and I would say the 303 is the best bike for the job there: you can really feel the rail suspension design doing what it's supposed to do (soaking up square-edged bumps) whereas the DH-9 would get balled up and slog through the endless rock gardens. The AS-X was nice because it was light and nimble and could be pedalled quickly on flatter sections, but easily thrown off line in the rough. The 303 is like the best of the best there: short enough with a great suspension platform to get through the tight stuff, but a "big" enough bike to handle the rough.

If you're considering a 303, my advice is to get ON it and make it happen, I did and honestly couldn't be happier.

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
mpyeti said:
I was hoping that the 303 is closer to the asx than the 9 when cornering but still has the speed handling of the 9 in the rocks/steeps.
This is pretty much right on the money right here. Corners WAY better than the DH-9 but still rides the steeps and wide open sections like a true downhill bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Full Trucker,
Thanks so much for the info. I have always like the stability of the 9 and the intuitive handling of the asx. Once I get my new leatt brace, I will start looking into getting a 303. More than likely I will not get one brand new as from what I can tell I would get it after the season is nearly done and the fact that it is about 3500. Is there any differences in the various years offered? I saw that you had a 06 and then an 08- was there a design change that caused you to upgrade?
One last thing- are you racing msc? I was guessing that by the states you ride in. I am out of the game this year with the move and remodel, but next year I plan on trying to hit all the races. I am especially looking forward to hitting up sol vista. Based on the video on their site, the 303 would be absolutely spot on for a place like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.