Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
inner peace to make peace
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone use thier DH 8" dual-crown 8" fork bike for all around trail/FR riding?

I have a sweet and responsive XC race hardtail with Sid fork and a fun XC trail 100mm suspension bike with a 130mm Fox Vanilla fork.

For my next bike, I'm wondering WTB: a '08 575 Carbon Enduro Race 20 Fox 36 Float trail bike or a '08 Kona StabDelux DH race bike. I'm thinking a "575" bike will be more useful around Marin County, Downieville, and Tahoe trails in California yet I'm feeling that a StabDelux bike would better satisfy my curiosity about DH racing and since I can ride most of the canyons in Tilden/WildCat Park on a single speed, I could, however slowly fer sure, climb them on the nine speed DH bike...

Once I buy this bike, I'll not likely buy another bike for several years, due to budget priority reasons.

So help me out: Share your observations and advice for my decision.

·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dowst said:
You wont be able to pedal the Stab. Stabs are horrible for pedaling. Have you considered a Stinky?
Stinky, yes, i've considerd...3rd on my "list" after the two I've mentioned...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Why the hell you want to do trail riding with a dh bike if you will have 2 bikes for it? If you want to do dh get a full blown dh rig and be a man! (I was in the same situation as you and got myself a real nice dh lapierre )

·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
norbar said:
Why the hell you want to do trail riding with a dh bike if you will have 2 bikes for it? If you want to do dh get a full blown dh rig and be a man! (I was in the same situation as you and got myself a real nice dh lapierre )
that's actually a good question.

while real DH course-like trails are hard to find locally, by riding the same bike that I am going to race on as often as possible on trails, i would get more familiar with its handling.

for example, I can decend faster on rocky steep trails on my hardtail bike that i've been riding since 1998 than on my 2006 xc fs bike with 5" fork mainly because I'm more comfortable the way my old HT handles. on "moderately" rough descends, the xc fs blows away the hardtail.

DH Lapierre sounds intresting.

yeah, passion beats reason...a DH rig would be sweet, esp on those van lifted rides

·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
08nwsula said:
the only bike I can think of that would support everything you want it to do would have an engine in it.
funny you say that, 'cause I pegged my mt. bike budgets on how much I did not have to spend on a motorcycle that I wanted. I've got a limited budget of time and funds...i'd rather pedal then twist.

having only one mt. bike sounds just aweful ...and sublime

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you are looking at the yeti 575 I would skip that and go to the asx, I can pedal and climb pretty well on mine and it is great when you head down hill. If you got serious about dh you could get a longer travel dual crown fork and switch between the single and dual crown forks... but like mkrobert real men do ride em' everywhere! have fun...!

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
About 6 years ago I did all my riding on a 2001 Rocky RM7 fully decked out with a Shiver, 24 inch rear wheel with dual Sun Doublewide rims and Gazzi tires. It only weighed 48 LBS!!! :eek:

That was my only bike though, and seeing how you have a good quiver going, get the DH bike and ride it as much as you want. You'll get used to taking it to certain places and avoiding others. ;)

·
Addicted
749 Posts
I'd say go for a Foes Fly, perhaps even wait for the '08 2:1 Fly as apparently a couple have been built to 36lbs with a Fox 40 up front. The reason I suggest the fly is that it does everything so well.
I recently borrowed a friends Fly that weighs in at 44lbs to try on the trails, I loved it. The downhills, obviously were amazing and with the floating brake arm there was no brake jack, and the uphills, despite being a heavy frame, climbed very well. Better than my Session 77 which was 6lbs lighter, and had lower gearing. The bike pedals much better than my M3 as well.
With the Fly you can choose 8 or 9" of travel, and run a 7" single crown or 8" dual crown fork, depending on what you want to ride. 2 of my friends race with their Fly's set up with 40's and are loving them.

Yes the Fly is a basic single pivot, but its setup damn well by Foes and those guys are awesome with customer service.

-Kevin

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Where do you plan on racing a full DH rig ? If you are racing locally a 6" bike will race all of the Bay Area venues. Wildcat / Tilden on a DH bike is just wrong. If you want to race a 8" bike be prepared to travel down to socal or the occasional N* etc. race's up North.

·
I rot before I ripen
542 Posts
Have you ever ridden a big bike on trails? If not, maybe you should rent a VP-Free from Yuba Expeditions and hit the Downieville trails. Over the last several years, I've ridden a 575, an ASX, a Blitz 2, and my v-10 on those trails. Most fun was the v10. Next was the Blitz, 41 pounds, single-crown fork, 36-tooth, no front-derailler, FR wheels, etc. It's my "one" bike, tho I tend more towards FR than XC. I use it for trail riding, FR jumps, any time I need to "pedal". I've also ridden it at CHDH for a run or two --- didn't like it. Used my v10 for the race. I also took it to Northstar this past season and didn't like it. DH definitely deserves a dedicated rig with a dual crown fork. But hey, there's plenty better riders that kill DH on single crowns and FR bikes.

How about an Intense Uzzi with a Fox 36 or Zoke 66?

Anyway, hope this gives some perspective.

damon

1 - 20 of 98 Posts