Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First season riding in winter and I'm getting around to making my riding more comfortable.

In temps down to 8C I'm pretty much sorted.

Below 8C I'm suffering with windchill and rain. Main problem are my feet go numb after about 30 minutes.

I'm looking into getting some Dexshell socks to block out wind and rain. I considered shoe covers but using flat pedals makes that option a pain.

Has anyone used any of these? I'm trying to decide whether to just use the ultra thin over my merino socks or just buy a couple of pairs of the thermalite or trekking socks.

https://www.dexshellaustralia.com.au/product/waterproof-thermlite-socks-tangelo-red/

https://www.dexshellaustralia.com.au/product/waterproof-ultra-thin-socks/

https://www.dexshellaustralia.com.au/product/waterproof-trekking-socks/

Problem with the ultrathin I can see straight off is how short they are (shorter than my merino socks I'd wear under them), but should serve the purpose of keeping wind and water off my feet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i use vaude bike gaiters which leave most of my flat pedal sole free. works pretty well. i have the cheapest least complicated version, they have more advanced/longer/more insulated stuff but i ride the whole wet winter with these and never have to dry my 5-10"s
https://www.vaude.com/media/image/a5/f2/92/01279_010_d_1.jpg

when its very cold (ice windy -10 c) i still get cold feet, adding in some insulation blanket helps

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. Are gaiters the same as overshoes? I didn't think there were any that worked well with flat pedals.

Vaude isn't available locally. How do these run for size?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I looked at the mt500 plus online (couldn't find them in a lbs) but everyone complains about how difficult they are to get on. That's why I started looking into waterproof socks instead.

If you're saying the vaude work I reckon I'll just order them from Europe. Pity the shipping costs more than the product 😩

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,212 Posts
Good luck with that. It takes a lot more than that to overcome the heat-sink effect of cleats and pedals for my feet. It would be helpful to know what temp range you are planning on encountering. Important to know, because you might just be throwing away money.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using composite flat pedals so I haven't noticed the heatsink effect being a problem. It's more the cold air and rain cutting through the shoe and socks.

It's a problem for me from 0C to 6C. Above that I'm ok.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll take a look, the thermalite is Merino lined and longer than the ultrathin but thicker, I'm not sure whether that is too thick.

I've ordered a cycling sock, ultra thin and thermalite from dexshell l. I'll post my thoughts.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,595 Posts
I've got a pair of DexShell Ultralights on the way.
I think they'll be thicker than normal socks which should work well with my Scott shoes as they feel a size bigger than labeled.
I've got a pair of Shimano MW5 waterproof shoes, but the socks should be a little quicker to dry.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I never posted my thoughts.

Sooo I've tried all three and I can say that all three options will keep you dry and block wind. I tested these in sub 5°C wet weather, and although my shoes were wet and covered in sludge, my feet remained dry and warm.

Of the three the 'cycling' version was my least favourite. It is a little thicker than the ultra light but doesn't fit nearly as well, it's much baggier, less like a normal sock.

The Ultra thin is great, fits very close to a regular stock. Both socks lack a little cushioning compared to the Merino socks I normally wear. I did double them up using my Merino inside them which worked for both but I would definately choose the ultra thin if you want to do this.

My gripe with both socks is they are short. If like me you prefer longer socks (I like wearing half shin high socks for trails) then neither option is quite long enough. The annoying thing is they're close though.

The thermalite is a much heavier and taller sock. This would be my pick for trail riding. There was no need to double up in the conditions I tested them in.

They do get a little cumbersome if you double them with an inner sock for extra cushioning or warmth.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,595 Posts
I use the ultralight's with normal MTB shoes if it's going to be a bit wet.
My MW5 Shimano waterproof shoes with normal socks if it is wet.
The ultralight's and the MW5's if it's raining and/or river crossings are expected.

If I could only have the ultralight socks OR the MW5's, I'd keep the socks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.