Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
361 - 380 of 855 Posts
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
schlep mobile

more of the same...
Pug back in storage... now completely serviced. 100% mission ready. even has new derailleur pulleys, and a new frame pump.

clean up things/organize, start thinking about packing for a car camping trip to Sequoia.

its a test of my patients, manners, and pushes my mind to the brink...

i mean.... really? car camping?

i'm working really hard on installing a quick patch to override my typical operating system.

that is to say... everyone else does it, when people want to car camp and ask me along... its fun... right?

right.

in my heart, every time i get that close to Mineral King, i can't help but to ask myself, "why go back?"

before my days in kindergarten, my dad would run off with me into those mountains, living off of trout and beans all along the Kings River, up, up, and away from anything. I remember the times he'd put me up top his ruck sack, and i'd fall asleep to his lumbering gait.

in those days he had a 65' Mercury Comet with a 390, 4spd, and 4:11 posi

mountain passes were mere grunts as i'd sit in his lap holding his arms, going thru the motions, feeling how it is to shift, and steer.

often he'd put me on his right lap, so i could pull the lever into 2nd

let me steer as much as a little kid could steer a car...

those were the days...

Sept, October, maybe Nov i guess, as I remember snow falls, and sitting on boulders watching trout jump in the white water.
big cats, bears, and vast expanses with only the sound of wind making its way thru the passes.

God's Country is what i call it.

every bit of your soul is awestruck. the shear magnitude, and majestic grace of thousands of years, there you are....
a dot
somehow nothing else even comes to mind...

literally it would blow my mind.

a big ol trout flopping around on the ground

a giant tree fallen across a gorge

the silver thread of the Kings raging far below...

waking up in the morning to see a big cat in camp

the meadow i remember covered in Lady Bugs... almost dripping from the trees

and running across a shale landslide as it gives way under foot...

and to know that those places are still there, a day or more hike from the confines of the pave, away from the car...
skirting the tree line...

as i grew, i learned that pop ran off with me for a week or two at a time, and once for over a month.
early 70's living in Fresno, roofing for a living... winter comes along, and work was thin.

i guess dad did what he knew how to do... solace in those peaks.

and he'd tell me that John Muir got tired of all the trappings of daily life down below, until one day he jumped the back yard fence and never went home...

these days, Modest Mouse lyrics play thru my mind...

The 3rd planet is sure that they're being watched by an
Eye in the sky that can't be stopped.
When you get to the promise land your gonna shake that
Eyes hand.
Your heart felt good it was drippin pitch and made of wood.
And your hands and knees felt cold and wet on the grass to me.
Outside naked, shiverin looking blue, from the cold
Sunlight that's reflected off the moon.

peace...d

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 ·
traffic...

traffic is off the hook!

as our economy keeps slipping...
of course everything is going up in price.

i went to the local outdoors store, and they wanted $19.76 for a gallon of Coleman fuel?
you know... white gas. holy smack!

Big 5 ended up around $10

$10 i can handle. even burning liquid gas is pretty ridiculous.

after all... the tipi has a wood burning stove. fuel is free... right? its called deadfall.

god only knows what the parks will say about campfires.

car camping is a drag in that way.

in that at the parks they always have a "no wood gathering" policy.

rather you are supposed to go spend the $ for a couple of logs.

and of course, a camp fire is a gross misuse of wood, compared to the wood burning stove in the tipi. none the less, i bet we'll be buying firewood. to me thats akin to buying water and air.

sadly its acutely obvious that we are all competing for resources.
today its the traffic
and i keep thinking only if people would reduce their car use, maybe the fuel issue would be reduced.

why basic foods, i.e. the food stamp formulary...
why basic foods are not separate from other goods.
perhaps... if fuel for basic foods where off set by the govt. i guess thats another subsidy.

why ky jelly is being transported at the same rate as cheese, i guess, its another short sighted vision.

then again, of course there is the issue of debt all together. every day when i look at a person in their car i wonder how much debt is left on that car.

i can't imagine the average 25 year old writing a check for $20k to pay for a car. or even $5k for the down payment.

either way... we're in a world of hurt.

the irony:

the news is all about the economy, gas prices, etc.
and then there is The Concours de Elegance at Pebble Beach. last night's news revealed that there are cars there expected to fetch 1, 3, and maybe even $5M.

and who's the big name at Pebble this weekend? Sir Stirling Moss

ok...
so whats the gig with all this?
ITS SPORT!
ITS SENSATIONALISM
its ENTERTAINMENT

ITS NOT REAL

its like... having to tell a kid that they are not Superman, after they watch cartoons.

Sport, Sensationalism, Entertainment... it has nothing to do with reality. its for enjoyment. thats it.

i get a kick off of my buddies as they lament over idiosyncrasies of UCI testing, who in cycling has affected the industry, etc...

the industry of Marketing is about the only reality in any of this.

its sad.

i appreciate the fact that Surly doesn't have a UCI pro team, that they don't dump a ton of money into ad campaigns.
rather they make useful bikes that are durable, make sense, and affordable!

that i can sincerely appreciate.

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
so check this out
http://humboldt.craigslist.org/roo/797112447.html

We have room for one more 26 years+person,
One room in big double wide near the marsh. Room has white carpet, but rest of the house has bikes in it, even the kitchen! Wood heat, deck, solar shower, electricity included. We ride bikes, and do construction work. No food or lifestyle rrequirements. This is different living, I work long odd hours, other housemate is working lots of hours too. We are not car free, but are trying to be.

Arcata...

·
Registered
425 Posts
People can't handle reality anymore. They're too used to being spoon fed everything. That's what I like about being on the bike, it's real.

The following is a quote from Jeff Potter in a post from the IBOB list a few years ago. I think he nails it.

"Right, and Americans go for the totally filtered, mediated,
controlled, diluted, warped stuff instead of the unmediated
liberation stuff. I mean, on bike/canoe/foot/XCski you can actually
in fact be more yourself. There is less of someone else's
idea/cashflow being inserted between you and your act. It's an
objective difference. Americans prefer to be "kept," in other words.
It's a voluntary and large amount of slavery. It fits with Marx's
"self stupefaction" as a potential force that could derail history.
Basically, I think we can't look ourselves in the mirror because of
what we do so we put on masks that we buy...far more so than any
other culture probably."

SelfPropelledDevo said:
ok...
so whats the gig with all this?
ITS SPORT!
ITS SENSATIONALISM
its ENTERTAINMENT

ITS NOT REAL

its like... having to tell a kid that they are not Superman, after they watch cartoons.

i appreciate the fact that Surly doesn't have a UCI pro team, that they don't dump a ton of money into ad campaigns.
rather they make useful bikes that are durable, make sense, and affordable!

that i can sincerely appreciate.

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
Mojoe said:
People can't handle reality anymore. They're too used to being spoon fed everything. That's what I like about being on the bike, it's real.

The following is a quote from Jeff Potter in a post from the IBOB list a few years ago. I think he nails it.

"Right, and Americans go for the totally filtered, mediated,
controlled, diluted, warped stuff instead of the unmediated
liberation stuff. I mean, on bike/canoe/foot/XCski you can actually
in fact be more yourself. There is less of someone else's
idea/cashflow being inserted between you and your act. It's an
objective difference. Americans prefer to be "kept," in other words.
It's a voluntary and large amount of slavery. It fits with Marx's
"self stupefaction" as a potential force that could derail history.
Basically, I think we can't look ourselves in the mirror because of
what we do so we put on masks that we buy...far more so than any
other culture probably."
yup...
that nailed it all right...

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 · (Edited)
corvettes

today was a great day.

while yesterday there i am bashing the whole car thing...

today its a different story

i can not tell you how amazing these car are.

on the way to work, Pacific Grove has a car club starting to fill the streets, a bunch of Corvettes, Vipers, i think some Ferraris, etc...

and then i see this Orange Vette, i ride by, then stop... go back around, stop and check it out. i mean... wow! what a gorgeous car. the light does not do it justice. the Orange even had peal in it.

I talk about this car for about an hour at the shop, and sure enough as we walked to storage, it drove by.

Hector finally talked me into believing that its a body kit on a late model corvette.
i could not believe it, but looking at the pics, the windshield/cowling area is a dead give away... its a new Vette. that means, it has a Warranty. What?! ya, huh... crazy.
its a new car. or new-ish anyways. none the less an beautiful car.

i mean... wow!

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
Gt 40

then i get to the Monterey Plaza, and i hear this car running...
i already knew what it was, and pushed my way thru a crowd, laid the dummy on its WideLoaders, and crammed the camera against the chain link fence.

you just cannot fully comprehend how crazy fast this car sounded. like being on Pit Row!

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #372 ·
it's only Friday

this is just Friday after work...

a parking Garage full of awesome muscle cars..

awesome green 67' Shelby GT500KR (King of the Road) with a 428 Cobra Jet.

Booo yaah!

69' Camero with a 427 i think... awesome!

i mean its just crazy... these things are all over, a lot of Cuda Hemi's, i saw a nice black with orange R/T striped Challenger?, charger? or maybe it was a cuda...

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
ultra style

the craziest thing...
i'm riding around on The Dummy and someone calls out, "nice Dummy".
i end up standing around with this guy, Sean, who's selling off some cars, he sold a 65' Mustang with a 4spd earlier for i think $37K, and said he had bought it for $28k, but thats just the start...
blew my mind. he had something like a 70 or 69 i think, Ferrari spider? a cool old Benz SL, and something that was like a Ferrari, but from another guy who broke off from Ferrari, and put Chevy motors in them. ??? plus some crazy cars, i think of his company's that he's selling off... i think.

it was beyond super cool. and here's this guy, with god only knows how much money and were both 40, he used to work in a bike shop, and is all into bikes. what started it was that he says he's got a Specialized with a FreeRadical, and the first thing he asks about, is if it has that wiggle...

nope... no wiggle. it blew my mind to sit there with this guy and talk bikes as these cars roll by.

turns out he's from Santa Cruz.

hey... Santa Cruz. ain't that where that Fiat from last weekend was from... ya.. think so.

so this car is an awesome car. its something like a 28' Ford. even the frame, is blended into the body. the body and frame are all together. its off the hook.

and the windshield is crazy. i forgot who Sean said made it. its got some kind of liquid filled gauges, that made them look like crystal balls, or maybe like a ships compass.

the mirror was like a fancy cheese knife... or maybe a gravy boat. even the wheels had actual spokes! i mean the thin spokes it had were exactly like a bicycle spoke.

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
check out that mirror, the gauges, and the side pipes
the kid driving the car was beyond stoked. in the pic you see him pulling that small knob... thats the starter. no keys

the car in front is a Blue Cuda Hemi with no stripes, just plain, kind of under stated. all AWESOME!
all these cars are making their way up to auction inside Portola Plaza.
if you look further, there is The Bat Mobile... i mean??? and there was a guy dressed up like Batman behind the wheel.
uhh... sorry, i couldn't bring myself to snap shots of that...

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Wow. Chevy did a great job on the new Corvette (if it's real that is)... and I generally dislike Vettes just because.

Loving the Unimog and that insane Ford rod. Holy poop! Some black steel wheels and tall n' skinny wide white bias plys would have set it off a little better though. ;)

The Veyron is an amazing machine. Doesn't it have something like a W12 engine, or something silly like that? Either way, what a beast.

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 ·
croscoe said:
Wow. Chevy did a great job on the new Corvette (if it's real that is)... and I generally dislike Vettes just because.

Loving the Unimog and that insane Ford rod. Holy poop! Some black steel wheels and tall n' skinny wide white bias plys would have set it off a little better though. ;)

The Veyron is an amazing machine. Doesn't it have something like a W12 engine, or something silly like that? Either way, what a beast.
that "old style" Vette, i think its just a body kit on an newer vette. it looks good tho. as time goes by, if you look at the windshield compared to the rest of the car, you can see how it does not fit in. the angle is not as up right as an old vette, and of course, the "plastic looking" black/cowling area... its a newer vette.

tonight's news said that auctions on the Monterey Peninsula should make between $50 to 60 million.

blows my mind...

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
SMR & the dummy

Saturday Morning Ride, with Velo Club Monterey on the Dummy.

foggy wet, thru pebble beach, a trippy day...

a 13 year old who's been showing up on a road bike fell in a turn...
that was a whole big deal, fire truck, etc... happens the safety director of Pebble Beach shows up, whom i happen to know, a fellow cyclist himself... concours weekend, lots going on in Pebble

later a funeral for fellow cyclist whom simply feel over on his bike
i think he had some kind of cranial episode, like an aneurism or something.
on of the cool lines in the service was
he drove into town in a corvette
and rode to heaven on his bike

that was pretty cool.

i've been so busy with cleaning things up in storage, working on bikes, etc...
that late last night, i suddenly realized, the hunter is in storage... hmmm....

so it was SMR & the dummy

i was the first person to actually stop, & block traffic, bcz i happened to have my lights on flash mode for a bunch of the ride, simply bcz of fog. the roads were actually drippy wet.

there was this poor kid laid out, and he was hurting pretty good, his ride partner looped back around after i had actually stopped. kid with no ID, etc...
luckily the kid could tell me his mom's cell phone number, and i let his buddy talk to his mom and tell the whole story.

also most fortuitous the accident occurred right in front of the Pebble Beach Fire Department. being Concours weekend, fast cars, drippy wet forest roads, everyone is keyed up, Security etc... ironically i know most of these guys.

its laffs....
there i am... on the dummy with blinking white lights, just park the bike in the middle of the road, kickstand, and everyone dealing with this kid. luckily it was just some abrasions, and his helmet defiantly freaking saved his head!

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
Sunday...

woke up this morning, rolling out of bed, groggy headed...

these Lyrics playing in my head...

The Weight, the Band:

I pulled into Nazareth, I was feelin' about half past dead;
I just need some place where I can lay my head.
"Hey, mister, can you tell me where a man might find a bed?"
He just grinned and shook my hand, and "No!", was all he said.

(Chorus:)
Take a load off Fannie, take a load for free;
Take a load off Fannie, And (and) (and) you can put the load right on me.

I picked up my bag, I went lookin' for a place to hide;
When I saw Carmen and the Devil walkin' side by side.
I said, "Hey, Carmen, come on, let's go downtown."
She said, "I gotta go, but m'friend can stick around."

(Chorus)

Go down, Miss Moses, there's nothin' you can say
It's just ol' Luke, and Luke's waitin' on the Judgement Day.
"Well, Luke, my friend, what about young Anna Lee?"
He said, "Do me a favor, son, woncha stay an' keep Anna Lee company?"

(Chorus)

Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.
He said, "I will fix your rags, if you'll take Jack, my dog."
I said, "Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man."
He said, "That's okay, boy, won't you feed him when you can."

(Chorus)

Catch a Cannonball, now, t'take me down the line
My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time.
To get back to Miss Annie, you know she's the only one.
Who sent me here with her regards for everyone.

(Chorus)

361 - 380 of 855 Posts