Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking for a AM bike, I will only have this bike so it must be a do-it-all bike. I also plan on keeping it for a while since I will be to college next year and funds will be limited.

I currently narrowed down my choices to two bikes : Devinci Remix SL 3, wich is a 5" horst-link bike with needle bearings hand-made in Quebec. The bike is simply goergeous and seems to come with a good component set. Only things I might see like problems is the brakes : avid juicy 3, and the wheels, Alex TD17 on M475 hubs. Are these rims though and durable ? Are the brakes like the juicy 5, or do they lack a bit ?

I am also looking at the all-new Trek Fuel EX8, with a 4.8" full floater active braking rear suspention. The bike seems to be quite balanced too, I could not see one in person nor try it because no one in Quebec got any right now. Looking at a 2-3 week wait before delivery. The reviews seem quite good. The components seem a bit higher quality (juicy 5 brakes, maybe better rims (bontrager race??) but I have heard many have had problems with the Fox Float 130RL up front leaking oil. I am also quite wary on buying a first-year product, some persons have already had problems with the rear rocker (look on the trek forums)

So I need help to decide which bike to get. Please keep the discussions around those two bikes, since there are not a lot of good lbs where I live.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
if i were you, i'd keep it local and support your homegrown business. i know there's more to it than that, but i bet it'd be easier to find parts/deal with warranty issues from a local company.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have not ridden the Trek Fuel, seen reviews, but have had a Trek Liquid and found it somewhat sketchy, not very stable bike. Devinci is built in Canada and one would assume with better care than the mass produced Treks. Given this I would try test both bikes and see how I feel. Having had my experience with Trek I would steer towards the Devinci, but who knows the new Fuels do look nice.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I've got some time on a DeVinci Magma and it's a great bike. Needle bearing pivots seem very solid.

I like the look of the new Trek an am keen to give it a go, but not having ridden one yet i would suggest trying test riding them if possible.

The Juicy 3's are very similiar to the J5s. They don't have the split lever clamp is all i can remember now though.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts