Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 592 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm starting a new thread on the Carbon Atlas. These are just shipping and I just built mine up, so offering up some more info on this bike. Everyone feel free to add your Atlas Carbon info and questions.

I ordered the frame and had it built with what I like by the awesome guys at OYL in Louisville. I haven't gotten to ride it as the trails here in the midwest aren't rideable just yet. For reference on frame size etc I am 5'11" 165 lbs. Ride most XC with a few trips to pisgah and an endurance race or two each year.

IMG_0175.jpg

My build is mid weight durable stuff:

Atlas Carbon Medium has 24" virtual top tube
Reba RLT / Lockout Maxle 100mm
X9 build with X0 twist shift
Thompson/Enve cockpit 90mm stem length
I9/Arch Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron 2.25 SS

Frame weight for medium frame with shock/pivots, rear axle, seat collar and headset = 6 lbs 1 ounce which is a competitive weight for this class bike IMO

IMG_0165.jpg

Total build weight with pedals = 26 lbs 6 ounces

IMG_0172.JPG

A few other details

Cable routing looks very well thought out

BB92 Carbon bottom bracket looks huge, this is my first carbon mtb so not used to that

IMG_0183.JPG

Plenty of clearance for 2.35s if you want to run em, these are 2.25s

IMG_0180.JPG

Maxle rear axle is a nice touch

IMG_0181.JPG

Cockpit

IMG_0177.jpg

Also digging the graphics

IMG_0184.JPG

Next pics and info will be with some dirt on it. Looking forward to having full suspension as my other two bikes are rigid Jabber single speed 23 lbs and hard tail Scott Scale AL 25 lbs.

If you have one or have questions post em up in this thread...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shake down ride report

Trails firmed up a bit and took her for a shake down run.

This was an eye opening ride for me. The bike felt very different from my Scott Scale. I guess it was in a good way as I had a big smile on my face for most of the ride. With that said I was surprised how different it felt. We have a very fast roller filled trail section at Waverly Park and the bike felt much more nimble here. The front wheel manuals up so much more easily its ridiculous. Also the way the rear wheel comes around on berms and hips is really fun.

My overall initial impression is the bike road a lot more like a 26er from a maneuverability standpoint. You can really steer more with your hips. I've been on 29ers for a long time so this will take some adjustment time I think. Bike felt very fast through the higher speed sections. Don't have enough time to speak to stiffness and overall ride manners but I will say I'm impressed with the Split Pivot ability to pedal very firm with extremely good small bump compliance.

A few other notes:

I raised the rear shock pressure from 150 to 170 and it felt really good and was getting full travel. The Reba was ultra smooth and was getting full travel. The cockpit feels a tad compact to me so may try a 100mm stem and change the Reba to 120mm.

Not enough time to make any conclusions but looking forward to getting to know the Devinici this Spring.

IMG_2693.JPG

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
Mine arrived last week and I promptly built it up with an existing XTR group.
I used a 140mm Loop, ENVE AM wheels, Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic tires.
Fox Doss post and Syntace cockpit.
Complete it is 28 3/4 lb, which is a little on the heavy side, but it feels SUPER meaty with this setup. I know it could be lighter...

I rode it at Pueblo Reservoir last weekend and had a blast. Super efficient pedaling and very invisable suspension action.
I was thinking I'd lower my fork to 120mm, but after riding it on XC trails for a day, I think I'll leave it full-length since I often ride more enduro-style trails. 2013-03-01 19.53.19.jpg 2013-03-01 19.47.08.jpg 2013-03-01 19.46.55.jpg 2013-02-27 07.36.37 - Copy.jpg 2013-02-27 07.36.33 - Copy.jpg

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
Nope... Lowers have to come off and a stop pin moved (White Brothers has a good video on their site). It's doable, but I have a Magura 120mm fork that I'll try on it before lowering the 140 White Bros. To be honest, if the 120 feels good, I'll leave the Magura on it and save the weight. But I kinda like it tall and slack, so it probably won't happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thx 4 posting, have my eye on the Atlas.

Per DEVINCI , they claim a weight of 2.07 kg / 4.56 lbs.

That seems light, no doubt yours is accurate, wonder why the big difference?

tia

I'm starting a new thread on the Carbon Atlas.

Frame weight for medium frame with shock/pivots, rear axle, seat collar and headset = 6 lbs 1 ounce which is a competitive weight for this class bike IMO

View attachment 778357

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine arrived last week and I promptly built it up with an existing XTR group.
I used a 140mm Loop, ENVE AM wheels, Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic tires.
Fox Doss post and Syntace cockpit.
Complete it is 28 3/4 lb, which is a little on the heavy side, but it feels SUPER meaty with this setup. I know it could be lighter...

I rode it at Pueblo Reservoir last weekend and had a blast. Super efficient pedaling and very invisable suspension action.
I was thinking I'd lower my fork to 120mm, but after riding it on XC trails for a day, I think I'll leave it full-length since I often ride more enduro-style trails. View attachment 779832 View attachment 779833 View attachment 779834 View attachment 779835 View attachment 779836
I'm getting my frame in about 2 weeks and need to buy some tires. For the rear, is there enough room for a Hans Dampf 2.35, or is NN 2.25 the max it can take? I'll probably go for 2.25 Ardent, but guessing a 2.4 won't fit....? Any ideas?

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
I started off with a Nobby Nic 2.35 on Enve AM. When I rode XC on it, there was room, but I was dragging some gravel through the stays.
A few days after, I rode it at the bike park, and noticed under hard compression and side load on the pump track, the rear tire was buzzing the chainstay very slightly.
I'm 170lbs, and those wheels are pretty stiff, so I'd say for most riders the 2.35 Nobby Nic is too big.
I switched to a 2.35 Hans Dampf and there is a TON of room around the tire. A 2.25 Ardent is puny compared to the HD, and a 2.4 is still a little smaller. I think you'd be fine with a 2.4 Ardent or 2.35 Hans. I'm also considering a 2.25 Nobby Nic, but I already had the HD in the house...

·
Your Best Friend
5,347 Posts
Great lines on this bike and I really like the color scheme. A couple of very different build philosophies here. Interesting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grid thanks for the props. I got 2 hours in yesterday on my local trail, and so far I can't believe how great the bike rides. Like VW said the rear suspension is so transparent, meaning it doesn't feel like much is going on in the rear but when you look down the shock is tracking like crazy. I'm not running pro-pedal at all and the traction and small bump is top shelf. Stiffness is very good with thru axles, I9 and huge bb. Another observation is how much better this bike bunny hops vs other full suspension. The wheelbase is an inch or two shorter than comparable rigs.

Still have that new bike impression so take my observations with that in mind but I couldn't be happier so far!

·
Registered
59 Posts
any pedal strikes, or is that not a problem where you ride? this has come up in the couple reviews I have been able to find about the alloy version of this bike.

·
Registered
726 Posts
any pedal strikes, or is that not a problem where you ride? this has come up in the couple reviews I have been able to find about the alloy version of this bike.
There is only one review of the new carbon version:

Devinci Atlas Carbon RC Frame Review - BikeRadar

They now spec a 140mm fork on most models (2/5" taller BB plus it still has low/slack or tall/steep geo adjustment) instead of 100mm reserved for XC use and they use a different shock with better valving for all 2013 Atlas models.

The original Al version has a large thread here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/devinci-atlas-rc-753842.html

1 - 20 of 592 Posts