Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
meh, the color is alright, might look better with all black componets and a black 888, but that thing could be tiedye, id still ride...

·
not really a noob
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nobody242424 said:
meh, the color is alright, might look better with all black componets and a black 888, but that thing could be tiedye, id still ride...
it should be all black or all white or the silver color

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
scabrider said:
i don't like that linkage, it would work, but not well...
well, have you ever ridden one, like acutally riden one. ive read some stuff about them and heard that that those bike are sweet. i havent ever ridden one, so i cant say.

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
nobody242424 said:
well, have you ever ridden one, like acutally riden one. ive read some stuff about them and heard that that those bike are sweet. i havent ever ridden one, so i cant say.
if you payed attention you would see that i posted again saying the linkage is fine. riding one doesn't make a difference, what matters is what happens to the shock when you go through travel. on a generic single pivot the shock, where it connects to the swing arm, ends up way lower and at a way different angle then where it started. i put the frame in the linkage program and found the linkage to be pretty good (my first statement was based on just looking at the bike and how close to a single pivot it was.). after further investigating the linkage and pivots, i found that it is very similar to a horst link (which is one of the best linkages out there I.M.O.). you may base how good frames are based on how they feel, but i base it on how the shock is loaded...

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,761 Posts
scabrider said:
if you payed attention you would see that i posted again saying the linkage is fine. riding one doesn't make a difference, what matters is what happens to the shock when you go through travel. on a generic single pivot the shock, where it connects to the swing arm, ends up way lower and at a way different angle then where it started. i put the frame in the linkage program and found the linkage to be pretty good (my first statement was based on just looking at the bike and how close to a single pivot it was.). after further investigating the linkage and pivots, i found that it is very similar to a horst link (which is one of the best linkages out there I.M.O.). you may base how good frames are based on how they feel, but i base it on how the shock is loaded...
really? so tell us more about your engineering education, and better still how it has been applied to frame design.

scabrider said:
riding one doesn't make a difference, what matters is what happens to the shock when you go through travel.
wait ... don't bother.

scabrider said:
after further investigating the linkage and pivots, i found that it is very similar to a horst link
that frame has a 'horst link'.

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
i said from what i could tell from my simple software that it was similar to a horst link, if i had said it was a horst link and i was wrong i would have felt stupid. i might not have a degree in engineering but that doesn't mean that i don't know about linkages and shock loads and what not. all i was trying to say is that at fist i thought it was a modified single pivot and then found it to be a horst link, and that ot wasn't all that bad. i'm sorry if i made you feel like you had to put me down in front of everyone who ever views this thread. it takes a real man to make someone feel stupid, so i guess you are a big boy...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ps- the thing about riding one doesn't make a difference you misinterpreted, i meant that you can't know what forces are acting on your shock just from riding the bike, you will know how the bike feels after riding it, but not how the link is stessing your shock when you go through travel...

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
scabrider said:
i really dont like like how you judge a bike on whether its a sigle pivot or not. there are some really good single pivots out there, and yes i admit my haro is not one of them. ya it just kinda bugs me cause there are so many good single pivot designs. ok ya im over my moment.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Nick. said:
umm, if you look at the picture you'll see that it's a horst link rear end.

can't help you if my reply to your post made you feel stupid.

e-biking rules! :D
peace.
hahah, agreed. :p

It certainly is an FSR-Horst link. :p :p :p :) ;)

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
scabrider said:
i said from what i could tell from my simple software that it was similar to a horst link, if i had said it was a horst link and i was wrong i would have felt stupid.
Yep, you were right. It's a horst link alright, but they sell them in the US with a faux bar rear end. Either way, the bike is sweet and the dude's I've ridden with that own them, absolutely rave about the bike (total rippers too). Some models have higher BB's (Ollie and 8 flat 8) than the Wilson, which would be my frame preference, and the chainstays are fairly long, but it's a sweet frame. Hell, half the dudes at Poison Spider ride these bikes as their do-all rigs.

If, say, someone were to get a Devinci and want a horst link, I don't think it's hard as long as you ask for the "Canadian version" from the right bike shop. ;)

Chers,
EBX

P.S. The comment on "who cares how about the bike feel....I just care about the pressure on the shock" made you sound foolish.

·
Registered
136 Posts
scabrider said:
ps- the thing about riding one doesn't make a difference you misinterpreted, i meant that you can't know what forces are acting on your shock just from riding the bike, you will know how the bike feels after riding it, but not how the link is stessing your shock when you go through travel...
who cares just if the bike feels good then who cares wat forces r acting on it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
sortafast said:
Is it just me or is it the same color as the Kona Coilair? Also did they lower their BB this year? Wasnt it like 16.25" last year? Anyway it was stupid high.
Yeah, they have definately lowered the bb this year, according to the website, its 15" this year. When I rode one of the 2004 ones,the bb felt low even without proper sag setup, and that was with an extra inch of height. I wouldn't mind getting one of the new 8-flat-8s if they have kept similar price points for all the models. For about $3000 CAD, this is a hard deal to beat:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts