Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, my cousin wants us to go to Merrimac to ride Devil's Head. We would be coming from his house in Sugar Grove IL which is about 3 hours south, and I would be picking him up driving in from Indianapolis. Are the trails really that b!tchin to ride like the DH run there?

As I understand it, there is no lift service and you would have to ride up to ride down. How many miles of trail are there exactly? Thanks.

·
SR Suntour
134 Posts
I wouldn't waste the time, we don't even make the 40 minute trek up there. They don't care about mountain bikers much and the trails are in terrible shape from what I've heard (downed trees and growth.) If you go right after the WORS race in late August the trails will be in decent shape but before then it is way too much of a gamble. It's a shame, they have some nice XC and I've heard the downhill run can be fun.

If you like awesome trails (aggressive XC and Freeride type) go to Blue Mounds State Park in Wisconsin. All of the trail building energy goes that way and they are mountain bike friendly...

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
GT Fatty said:
I wouldn't waste the time, we don't even make the 40 minute trek up there. They don't care about mountain bikers much and the trails are in terrible shape from what I've heard (downed trees and growth.) If you go right after the WORS race in late August the trails will be in decent shape but before then it is way too much of a gamble. It's a shame, they have some nice XC and I've heard the downhill run can be fun.

If you like awesome trails (aggressive XC and Freeride type) go to Blue Mounds State Park in Wisconsin. All of the trail building energy goes that way and they are mountain bike friendly...
I'll ditto all of what GT Fatty just said. My team has ridden there every Thursday night in years past but the trails are overgrown and not maintained at all yet this year. After the WORS race in August, they'll be in good shape but I wouldn't count on anything untill then.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Is there anything decent within say a 20 minute drive from baraboo? I'm going camping at DL with some friends, would love to find something to ride without having to back track to Madison.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Normally...

Tarekith said:
Is there anything decent within say a 20 minute drive from baraboo? I'm going camping at DL with some friends, would love to find something to ride without having to back track to Madison.
I'd say Devil's Head. Not much else around there. I'd say your best bet is Blue Mound State Park right now. It's about 45 minutes or so from Baraboo. Be sure to call them first though...we've been getting some rain lately.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Unknownrash said:
Hey y'all, my cousin wants us to go to Merrimac to ride Devil's Head. We would be coming from his house in Sugar Grove IL which is about 3 hours south, and I would be picking him up driving in from Indianapolis. Are the trails really that b!tchin to ride like the DH run there?

As I understand it, there is no lift service and you would have to ride up to ride down. How many miles of trail are there exactly? Thanks.
I have heard the trails are in disrepair, and would believe it based on the terrible turnout we've had for volunteers this year.

We'll be working on Blue Mound this weekend to get ready for the race, and Blue Mound offers the rocks and vertical that used to drive many of us to Devil's Head. The place got very trashed after a race maybe 3 years ago, and I think that's when my bike posse stopped the regular trips there.

We can of course use help, and if you show when the trail stalwarts are there we can make sure you know where the good stuff is.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
It's a bit west for you but you might give Platteville a shot. I did their XC time trial there a couple of months ago and they were having a DH the next day. I rode across the DH course and it raised the hairs on the back of my neck. The UW-P cycling team takes good care of the courses from what I've seen and heard. I don't know if his email is active but here's the guy I got the info from [email protected] and here's UW-P's site http://www.uwplatt.edu/org/uwpcycling/

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Sombrio69 said:
is the bluemounds DH course open yet to ride?
All the BMSP trails are open conditionally where the park ranger makes the decisions.

I am sick and had to pass on the work day today, but know there has been frequent rain lately and some of the trails are in rough shape.

Quarry Park in Madison (not Quarry Ridge) is often ridable when other places are not because it's an old quarry and parts are rather porous or drain fast. This place is not a down hill spot per se, but is a place where I go with big tires, knee, shin and arm protection. It's sort of a love or hate place, and it grows on you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.