Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NW MTBER
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode the Devil's Gulch Trail up to figure 8, Cont up the Gulch trail to road for lunch at the rock spire. Then up Pipeline Trail to Clara Lake Trail and UP (won't do that again in that direction) to fire rd again, up to Mission Ridge Trailhead and back down to figure 8, down the Gulch Trail to finish up...30 miles. Sweet day! Saw 2 motos all day! 3 groups of riders, 2 were shuttlers in tennis shoes and mostly hybrid bikes (?), 2 guys climbing the Gulch. Glorious sunshine, not too hot either, no dust yet...wildflowers. Timing seems perfect up there. Hit 4-5 patches of snow on the upper trail, 4-5 puddles on the trail altogether. Trail is firm and in great shape. Burgers and Cashmere Pale Ale in town on the way out, NBA Finals in the 4th quarter on the big screen...Happy Father's Day to me (and my brother in law)! A side note...already mentioned here on the forum but now I can chime in- ride the Gulch Trail up, what a perfect trail to climb! Every single piece is cleanable, nice and rolling, shaded. I guess later when the motos and shuttlers are railing down it might be different? Yesterday it was incredible though. I just don't like riding on a road if I can help it, it is not why I mountain bike! A new father's day tradition was born yesterday!:cool:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I just don't like riding on a road if I can help it, it is not why I mountain bike! A new father's day tradition was born yesterday!:cool:
I dont think riding the road up is all that bad. For one thing you eliminate all the stream crossings and your feet are dry on the way up. Plus the road offers some views out towards the Columbia River. Its also easier and a bit faster. I think of the road as just a wide trail. The first couple miles or so are kind of boring but after that it more like very wide single track. The road to MR and back to the figure eight and down Gulch I think makes the most sense.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I figured about four hours in the saddle moving time if you are running the figure eight. I dug back a couple of years and saw that I did it in 3.5 hours by going up the road and down the ridge. That also did not include breaks. I also think that 6 to 7 hours total is still moving with a couple of decent breaks. If your under 35 and really ride a bike-daily you could do it faster. I remember my son went over one day rode up the road to the Gulch TH and went down and then repeated it since it really wasnt all that hard for him.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've never done this ride before and my buddy and I are planning on going tomorrow, is it necessary to bring my full face for the way down? or will my regular lid do me just fine? also, whats the downhill like? crazy exposure/ wide open and fast? thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Most people ride it XC style without any body armor or full face helmets. Mission Ridge is a little more technical than DG is going down hill with some rocks and a lot of loose dirt. The exposure isnt too bad although I suppose if someone was really bombing down hill and lost control they could find themselves in a mess. There is a lot of variations you can do with this ride like pedal up DG to the tie and then go down MR or pedal up DG and go down DG or pedal up the road and go down DG or pedal up the road to MR and then down MR to the tie and take DG the rest of the way down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.