Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Thanks, never been out there and am definitely putting this on my list of new places to check out for the year.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Per Wenatchee Mountain Bikers FB - Motos have cleared Devil's Gulch and Lower Mission Ridge trails. I've also heard that Red Devil is open. Red Hill is still closed for logging.

Upper Mission Ridge is not yet open, I believe.
did Red Devil Tuesday. bone dry w/ the exception of "one" wet spot about 3 feet long. you don't normally see it that dry even in the fall.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When/if Red Hill opens up after Weyerhauser is done, the Red Hill/Red Devil loop is one of the hidden gems in that area. Two great climbs, awesome views, two rippin' descents, no people.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For a first timer wanting to loop Devils Gulch and Mission Ridge, which is the classic direction to ride it? Up Devils Gulch to Mission or vice versa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
885 Posts
The one time I did Devils Gulch we rode CW. The dirt road climb wasn't that difficult.

Was at the bottom of Fourth Of July TH in Leavenworth a week and change ago checking it out before road-racing nearby. Looks good and dry so am wondering where the snow level is currently.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Coupla ways to do it. Riding up the trail is not too bad, then continue up Liberty/Beehive Rd to the top of Mission Ridge Trail and descend that, the classic figure 8. Or ride up the road (making sure to stay right onto old double track and not ascend Peavine Canyon) to Liberty/Beehive Rd. Then climb to MRT, descend.

For a shorter jaunt, climb DG trail to where MRT crosses (~9 miles) then turn left and descend MRT. Most riders don't ascend MRT.

For a longer jaunt, add in the Red Hill/Red Devil loop as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Coupla ways to do it. Riding up the trail is not too bad, then continue up Liberty/Beehive Rd to the top of Mission Ridge Trail and descend that, the classic figure 8. Or ride up the road (making sure to stay right onto old double track and not ascend Peavine Canyon) to Liberty/Beehive Rd. Then climb to MRT, descend.

For a shorter jaunt, climb DG trail to where MRT crosses (~9 miles) then turn left and descend MRT. Most riders don't ascend MRT.

For a longer jaunt, add in the Red Hill/Red Devil loop as well.
One man's opinion, but for the same distance, I'd choose to out-and-back DG. When I descended lower MRT last summer, my overall impression was that you waste a ton of elevation going straight down the fall line in a sandy moto trench, for my money descending DG is more fun. Views from MRT are great, though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed, MRT has some roly sections that suck energy and some fall lines from motos, some of which do have switchbacks, but can be sandy. The trail quality seems to be worse up on that ridge vs down toward the gulch and it gets more moto action probably because it's less travelled by other users and more fun on a moto(?).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Planning to ride Devil's Gulch for the first time this weekend, as some form of loop or out-n-back. For mileage efficiency I'm thinking using my HT. Any thoughts on HT vs. SC Solo?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Planning to ride Devil's Gulch for the first time this weekend, as some form of loop or out-n-back. For mileage efficiency I'm thinking using my HT. Any thoughts on HT vs. SC Solo?
I ride it on my HT all the time because I don't have a full suspension. There are very few rocky sections or much that really requires FS. Upper Mission Ridge Trail is the only one that I wish I had a FS on.

I like riding up the road and down the trail personally. Makes a pleasant loop and you avoid people bombing down the trail. But the trail climb is nice as well.

Also, lots of trees reported on Upper Mission Ridge Trail still.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
It's a long descent to have to be riding a HT all puckered up. To each his own.

·
NW MTBER
247 Posts
One mans opinion: Get an early start with your Full squish (you'll appreciate the downhill a lot more) and climb DG trail to the split, continue up DG to the top (about 12.5 miles), cross the road to the ridge and have a bite on the cool rock formations with a killer view, descend the same way. The views are so different looking up canyon climbing as opposed to down so it feels different. It is a very manageable and nice climb and super fun descent with not a ton of riding your brakes. Enjoy either way!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
One mans opinion: Get an early start with your Full squish (you'll appreciate the downhill a lot more) and climb DG trail to the split, continue up DG to the top (about 12.5 miles), cross the road to the ridge and have a bite on the cool rock formations with a killer view, descend the same way. The views are so different looking up canyon climbing as opposed to down so it feels different. It is a very manageable and nice climb and super fun descent with not a ton of riding your brakes. Enjoy either way!
Plus, going down the the upper part of Devils Gulch from the upper trailhead and the 4-way at the saddle is one of the best rides in the state. I've been known to hurt myself and climbing it a couple of times just to experience it again in the DH direction.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Plus, going down the the upper part of Devils Gulch from the upper trailhead and the 4-way at the saddle is one of the best rides in the state. I've been known to hurt myself and climbing it a couple of times just to experience it again in the DH direction.
Hmmn, using Trailforks map - are you referring to the trail marked Devil's Spur or Upper Mission Ridge? or just the first part of Devil"s Gulch trail? TIA

·
Wierdo
3,080 Posts
The split is where the Devils Gulch trail crosses the Mission Ridge trail. Devils Gulch continues up to the left, Upper Mission Ridge to the right. It's a natural stopping place and some riders will turn around here. I agree with DRSpalding, it worth climbing the rest of the Devil Gulch trail to the parking lot. There is a nice view off the ridge and descending Devils is great fun. From the parking lot you can ride the road to the top of Upper Mission. The road is a bit of a grunt. Upper Mission is a fun descent but a lot different than Devils - more chunky and raw. Have a great ride.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Devil's Spur is a trail that goes from the paved Mission Ridge road to the upper Devil's Gulch trailhead.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts