Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I am picking up a new bike from Mountain High Cyclery on the weekend of the 21st. Larry is unavailable to ride with me so I was wondering if any of you locals would like to show a lowlander around the devils backbone trail system. I can ride either on Sat 21st or Sun 22nd pretty. If I ride solo am I likely to get lost?

Cheers
 

·
Perpetually single track
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
Nah, there's nearly zero chance of getting lost on it. Two loops attached to an out/back trail. Good techy riding there, not much climbing...guessing it's maybe 8 miles total of riding.
 

·
climb
Joined
·
2,293 Posts
I'll be in Ft. Collins on Sat 21 and Winter Park Sun 22. Where are you coming from? I would think Devil's would be a good first ride to test out the new bike and how it is set up, but then you might want to head to a different trail on the front range. For me Devil's is a great after work, or I only have one hour max ride. Other traiils--North Hewlett Gulch, Horsetooth Park... South Hall Ranch, White Ranch, Dakota Ridge.

There is another ride just west of Loveland toward Estes Park called Crosier Mountain. I've never been there, but I want to ride it this summer. It might be a possibility on Saturday late afternoon...

I'm sure you'll get more information and invites. Nobody around here rides mountain bike :)
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jl said:
I'll be in Ft. Collins on Sat 21 and Winter Park Sun 22. Where are you coming from? I would think Devil's would be a good first ride to test out the new bike and how it is set up, but then you might want to head to a different trail on the front range. For me Devil's is a great after work, or I only have one hour max ride. Other traiils--North Hewlett Gulch, Horsetooth Park... South Hall Ranch, White Ranch, Dakota Ridge.

There is another ride just west of Loveland toward Estes Park called Crosier Mountain. I've never been there, but I want to ride it this summer. It might be a possibility on Saturday late afternoon...

I'm sure you'll get more information and invites. Nobody around here rides mountain bike :)
I am flying in from Minneapolis and will be staying downtown Boulder. I rode at Winter Park a few years ago and had a blast. This will be my last chance to ride in Colorado before I move back to Australia. So even though I will have my wife and son with me I think I could talk her into letting me ride Sat and Sun as long as they are not all day rides 3-4 hours each day should be ok ;)
 

·
climb
Joined
·
2,293 Posts
Just a suggestion, others will hopefully have others... I would pick up your bike, and ride devil's you won't get lost. Then pack up your bike, drive north to Lyons, and ride Halls Ranch. This would be a good Saturday Duo.

Then on Sunday I would head over to Walker ranch off of Highway 93. This would meet your 3-4 hour requirement and leave you some time to spend with your family.

If you really want to try out that Orange-Spot. You could pack up the family on Sunday and drive to keystone and ride cowboy up, punk rock, and tnt. To save some time you can chair-lift your way to the top of the mountain. You could then head over to breckenridge for some alpine sledding and food.

There is also a MTB race in Winter Park on Sunday if you want to see how fast that orange bike will go :)...
 

·
Bodhisattva
Joined
·
10,843 Posts
I expect to be around that weekend and should be able to ride.
As others have said, it's nearly impossible to get lost on the bone but a tour guide is always fun. I'll have family in town that weekend so my ride will need to be early and I won't have time for Crosier.
Crosier is awesome. Very technical with lots of climbing but the horseback riders have really done a number on the trail and the climb is real washed out right now. There are several different ways to do. Larry, myself and a few others did the big loop recently & had a blast.
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
I expect to be around that weekend and should be able to ride.
As others have said, it's nearly impossible to get lost on the bone but a tour guide is always fun. I'll have family in town that weekend so my ride will need to be early and I won't have time for Crosier.
Crosier is awesome. Very technical with lots of climbing but the horseback riders have really done a number on the trail and the climb is real washed out right now. There are several different ways to do. Larry, myself and a few others did it 2 weeks did the big loop recently & had a blast.
How early are you talking about ? I can pretty much go anytime.
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Not too early. Maybe 8am-ish.
If you do the entire trail, then reverse it, it's about 60-70 minutes of ride time.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.
Maybe its just me but I think your PM is turned off. Whats the travel time from Dwntwn Boulder to the trail head. 8am may be a bit early.
 

·
Bodhisattva
Joined
·
10,843 Posts
Sorry about that. I just turned it back on. Not sure what happened.

It's about 45 minutes from Boulder. Doubt I could ride much later than that cause my folks are visiting from the east coast & I'd like to get back early. Maybe 8:30.
 

·
Time is not a road.
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
If you can't make it early, I could meet you out there to ride. 8, 9, 10, whenever. How early is Larry going to open the store on Sat? Or were you picking up your bike a different day?

Let me know. I realize now that it's still two weeks away.
 

·
Tame the Penguin!
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
8am early.....bahhhhhh

Ozlongboarder,

8 am isn't early...hell, those primpy coffee shops in Boulder open at 5 am so load up on a triple latte w/extra foam, choke down a scone, and head North @ 7am. ;)

I'm meeting Squeak at Mountain High for the 8am launch......it would be cool if you could ride with us on your new Turner. Assaulting the BackBone in force is always a blast. Squeak is so darn fast, I'm gonna need a buddy to draft on just so we can catch him and viewing from the size of your frame, you'll make an excellent wind break. :p

BTW...that Turner is a kick a** color.....WHOOO HOOOO!!!! Excellent choice.

:cool:

--El Beastro

ozlongboarder said:
Hi folks, I am picking up a new bike from Mountain High Cyclery on the weekend of the 21st. Larry is unavailable to ride with me so I was wondering if any of you locals would like to show a lowlander around the devils backbone trail system. I can ride either on Sat 21st or Sun 22nd pretty. If I ride solo am I likely to get lost?

Cheers
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top