Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the trails in the Denver area still gooey with melt off I took two MTBR fellas and headed North to Devil's Backbone with no intent but a mellow paced ride on dry trail. Devil's Backbone did not disappoint and even threw in some some technical features to add to beautiful day.

mountainboy beneath the Devil's Backbone

andychrysler with the Devil's Backbone in the distance

andychrysler riding the psychedelic singletrack

mountainboy on Indian Summer(poor guy left his helmet at home so had to take it a little easy today)

The Valley from which we came

andychrysler rocking down the Rim Trail

Me rolling the steps with the Rigid

andychrysler headed down

The boyz rollin down Blue Sky

andychrysler showing us some climbing skills

and down

flyin by the trees

Distant Views

Great Day andychrysler and mountainboy. Lets do it again soon. Looks like we finished just in time with the little wind we dealt with.

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
I saw you guys today. Helmetless riders stick out. We were climbing the little techy corner on Heart attack hill. You were coming down. I also noticed Andychrysler's Zaskar with an old school Manitou. Sweet!( is that pre ANSWER Products?) Killer day to be out. Shorts in January!

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
I believe that Manitou came original on my '91 Zaskar - I bought the bike used from a friend in '93-ish. Rode it pretty hard until '99, and hung it up until my Stumpjumper recently started having issues. The Zaskar will hopefully be full rigid singlespeed soon (glad it wasn't today though!!). The fork does have a small answer insignia on the upper portion, so must have been in some kind of transition at the time.
I remember you guys - you must have gotten hit pretty hard by the wind!
Great day before that.
More pix to follow.

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
Yeah the wind was pretty bad on the ridges. Hard to stay on your line at times. I have been blown over just past were we saw you. I guess with the warmth comes wind. But...no complaints here. :thumbsup:

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
My take

So, I was convinced by the evil MGE to ditch my actual church service and join him and mountainboy (the dreaded NC boys) for a service of our own here:
https://i368.photobucket.com/albums...vils Backbone_Blue Sky_RimRock/IMG_1621-1.jpg

'Twas a grand time, as seen below.
Mountainboy displays the latest in helmet technology - lightweight, stealth, yet fashionable - not sure how it would hold up in a crash, though.

The bikes enjoying a break, and taking in the view

Mountainboy cruising past the little bit of snow/ice we saw today - no mud at all though!

SS'ing it up to Rimrock - what an animal (a puppy dog - he says).

The Rimrock stairs as ridden by mountaingoatepics

And he climbs too

Nice job MGE, most impressive

Beautiful area, fun, techy stuff, must go back soon.

Oh, BTW, if anyone's out there on 34 and can snap a picture of that Justine's (pizza?) restaurant sign on the south side of 34, and send it to me, or post here, I'd be much obliged - buy you a beer sometime. We went by too fast, and didn't wanna make the NC boys turn around. My daughter (Justine) would like the photo.

Thanks for the day NC boys, nice work.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
PBR....we didn't see any animals besides fellow riders and hikers....oops...there were a few dogs. Would've loved to see that Eagle.

tmosebar...The wind didn't get to bad till around noon. Nice trails you guys got. I've been missing some technical riding.

Andy, The evil MGE? Oh sure, hate on a guy for taking you to dry trails and making you have a good time. You act like we're not going back anytime soon. We'll get that pic for your girl on our next trip up. Next weekend, maybe week after? BTW: I'm sending this thread to your preacher :D

Pulser..thanks on the pics...It was pretty empty around 8am...just a few runners...By the time we were pulling off the trail...noon or so...there were many taking advantage of the Backbone.

sgltrak...Andy told me you were thinking of meeting us. Maybe you can give us a tour of Horsetooth next time.

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
Justines is the oldest Pizza joint in Loveland(I think)
Very good! Killer Service! Signage Landmark Advertising Sign Pole

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
mountaingoatepics said:
Sweet! Guess I know where we are eating next time we are in your neck of the Front Range.
What?
The qwik-e-mart sandwhich wasn't good enough for ya? :p
My flamin' hot cheetos were deelish.
J/K - Justine's it is!!!

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
mountaingoatepics said:
tmosebar Nice trails you guys got. I've been missing some technical riding.

Yeah I feel fortunate to have the trailhead 100 yards from the garage. No excuses not to ride.

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
tmosebar said:
Yeah I feel fortunate to have the trailhead 100 yards from the garage. No excuses not to ride.
Uhhhh - yeah - OK...
We commented a couple times on those houses.
Nice place you got there.

That's yours in the upper left - correct?

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
andychrysler said:
Uhhhh - yeah - OK...
We commented a couple times on those houses.
Nice place you got there.

That's yours in the upper left - correct?
Of course! I needed the garage for the Bentley and the Range.
No I live south of 34. Great neighborhood and a great location. Not quite the curb appeal as the joints on the Ridge. I've often thought how good sunrise coffee would taste on the deck of
that one. Sunset cocktails:thumbI'msup:

·
Not-quite-geezer RVer
243 Posts
mountaingoatepics said:
Me rolling the steps with the Rigid
So are those the steps after the "CAUTION: Riders Dismount" sign, about which I quipped in my DBB report a few months back... "I'm sure there's some mtbr mofo out there who rides these, but most people seemed to be doing good to simply carry their rigs up and down"?

If so, I can't say that I'm all that surprised that Jeremy is just such a "mtbr mofo"... but still... would have to say (as Vader once hissed)... Impressive. Most Impressive.

Nice report. I'm still in snowy Grand Junk, so thanks for sharing some dry dirt. Looking forward to heading on down to AZ in another week or so!

Cheers,
Carey

1 - 20 of 26 Posts