Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
slow
7,681 Posts
Rode the MTB on pavement today past Maxwell, Pineridge, Blue Sky, and Horsetooth Mtn Park to Bobcat Ridge. HTMP was the only one the looked like there might be some dry riding, and even then only on the south facing area above the upper lot. The rest looked like they might be good to go while frozen, but they have enough snow on them to be pretty slick and sloppy once the sun hits them. I imagine, given the proximity to these, that DBB will have similar conditions. With the warmer temps the next few days, I would get out early if you want to ride something other than pavement.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Rode Coyote->Rimrock->Bluesky (North to the tunnel) around noon today. Coyote, part of Rimrock, and the north part of Bluesky was snow packed. Some of Rimrock and Bluesky was a little muddy. With the warm temps the next couple days, I think only coyote might be ridable. I was on a Pugs, so YMMV.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
tmosebar said:
The BAckbone will be a mess for a while. AM only.
Really early AM :).. Did coyote today--tried to head to indian summer, but it wasn't worth the effort. I was off the trail by 9:00a. A lot of snow on the trails. The back loop on Coyote is becoming a big mess from all the hikers and runners.

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
Worse now that the snow is melting. I am not sure why they didnt close it.
The bottom section is getting WIDE due to hikers trying not to get muddy. I saw a rider on Wednesday and politely suggested he wait. He basically said F off and rode onto probably 3" deep mud.:confused:

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
tmosebar said:
The bottom section is getting WIDE due to hikers trying not to get muddy. I saw a rider on Wednesday and politely suggested he wait. He basically said F off and rode onto probably 3" deep mud.:confused:
Last year they were pretty good about closing it when muddy, but that doesn't seem to be happening much this winter. I'll contact Travis at the county and mention it.

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
tmosebar said:
Heard back from them. Sounds like they were tied up with something else and didn't make it out there to check conditions the last couple of days. But they will be closing it as of tomorrow morning.

Would be nice if that wasn't even needed and people would just have the common sense not to trash the trail, but I guess that's too much to ask :(

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
I haven't gone over in a couple days. I'll check today. I am guessing if it's open the Bottom is still real muddy. Bummer because the top Loops are probably fine.
There is still so much Snow on side of the trail. Even though the trail is clear when it warms up it slowly melts and drains right on the trail. Really makes some good mud.:madman:
I have never seen a season like this on the Bone.

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
Well I was out here this morning with the dogs and I personally dont think it is ready.
I would say most spots are rideable. Others are ice and serious mud if it warms up. But even frozen doesnt look like much fun to me due to the deep ruts and footprints. Kinda reminds me of some Road 18 stuff after rain and 1000 head of cattle. (exaggeration)
BUT .... I bet the the Laughing horse loop is good. Anyone access DBB via Coyote yet?
Blue Sky could be ugly ....

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
from BMA

This winter is taking a toll on our trails...

To our knowledge, the only good riding to be had this weekend in Colorado is at Lake Pueblo State Park. Conditions are dry and wonderful there.

·
Shattering Glass
705 Posts
jugdish said:
from BMA

This winter is taking a toll on our trails...

To our knowledge, the only good riding to be had this weekend in Colorado is at Lake Pueblo State Park. Conditions are dry and wonderful there.
A tough winter indeed. Why not do some running or mix it up a little. I think all the running I've done this winter shed more fat and made me feel explosively stronger than ever.. and I don't run. Different muscle groups yes, but the same lungs. I'd be hard pressed to believe that when these trails open up and the shorts come out, i just might be all the better. Especially going through this anguish from being spoiled from milder winters. Just look at it this way. Maybe see some 60 degree weather in about 30-40 days. Maybe 2 feet of snow but spring will be springing soon;)

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
That'a what I've been doing

dash said:
A tough winter indeed. Why not do some running or mix it up a little. ..... Different muscle groups yes, but the same lungs.
I hiked Hewletts for the first time ever last Sat and Greyrock on Sun.. I don't mind pavement that much but I was really missing the trails.

It's also easier to stop and snap a few pics.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.