Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I placed an order too. Going for the blue Highlander with the 150mm link and a full Enduro build.

AXS/XTR12 drivetrain, Formula Selva Coil, DHX2 2021, Pi_Rope AL30 wheels, Trickstuff DRT brakes, so basically all the parts swapped over from my Megatower apart from the headset and the rear shock.

Bike Check.
Congrats! Anxiously waiting for an shipping email from Scotland :)
Those wheels look rad! How do they ride?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I placed an order too. Going for the blue Highlander with the 150mm link and a full Enduro build.

AXS/XTR12 drivetrain, Formula Selva Coil, DHX2 2021, Pi_Rope AL30 wheels, Trickstuff DRT brakes, so basically all the parts swapped over from my Megatower apart from the headset and the rear shock.

Bike Check.
That certainly is a very nice build, curious to read how it will pan out..
I have a Yellow Medium on order which I will build up more to the trail spectrum, air fork and damper, and a bit cheaper also (XT and no Trickstuff brakes 😉).
I have been thinking about the Pi Rope AL30 wheels as well. They certainly seem very good, hubs, spokes (I am still riding Spynergy now) and rims. But in my opinion the markup for the textile spokes compared to the same wheelset with regular spokes from Newmen is just too high to justify the cost, more than a 500 euro markup only for the spokes.. Hopefully this cost will come down, as they do sound great though..

·
Registered
339 Posts
Congrats! Anxiously waiting for an shipping email from Scotland :)
Those wheels look rad! How do they ride?
For me it's gonna be another 6 weeks as the links have to be produced still...

Wheels are good and take away some of the vibration going over small stuff. Spokes need some TLC though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I *think* the first batch is in now. Just waiting on all the bits to hang off it, Fox stuff is 5 weeks off, same for DT XMC wheels, hope to have Trickstuff brakes arrive by Xmas... (got something to use in the mean time though)

Good things/waiting etc

Be interested to hear how it rides with a coil.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Be interested to hear how it rides with a coil.
According to some nerds on our German forum, the Highlander's leverage curve should be more coil friendly. For a standard air shock (probably not the X2):

- less sensitivity (duh...)
- sagging in the mid stroke area and high progression at the end (-> too much riding in the progression area)
- with a MegNeg (optimized shock), better mid stroke support but too much progression at the end

Now wether this is true or not, I cannot say. I talked to Ben at Deviate and he said that for a more Enduro oriented ride, the DHX2 will work really well.

BEN from Deviate said:
We've decided to try and keep the leverage ratio linear until past the dynamic sag point to make the small bump performance really great with ramp up on big hits towards the end of the travel. We like a linear action at first and into the mid stroke as it feels bottomless and supple during normal riding. This is one of the reasons that riders can't believe they are riding "only" a 140mm bike. It's only on big hits or compressions that the progressiveness really comes into play. Remember the reason people like coil shocks so much is their linear nature which give great small bump performance and a really controlled feel. Our linear through start and mid stroke and progressive into end stroke leverage curve gives the Highlander a "coil" suspension feel through the mid stroke and ramps up like an air spring on big hits - best of both worlds. Incidentally it works great with a coil or an air shock - although for slightly difference end uses and the current design to designed around an air spring. However, we're making a slightly longer (150mm) and more progressive linkage which will be released soon for those wanting to run coil shocks.

If you compare our leverage curve to the Druid - you'll see that although our curve stays flat at the start- the ends of the curves are very similar and overall progression is nearly identical at 27%. Also remember we have another 10mm of travel to play with which allows us to keep things supple in mid travel.

Compared to the Megatower - depending on the set-up it achieves progression of between 26.8% up to 31.5% through it's travel - so not really a big difference You'd only really run it at max progression with a coil shock (more progression required as the shock itself is linear). The settings recommended for air shocks achieve around a 27% progression so virtually the same as us.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Beautiful bike. I think that in the end, the Highlander will be out of my preferred price range, but there is no bike that I drool over more.
I have to admit, that I find other bikes better looking (Raaw Madonna V2 amongst others) but I have gone a long way already from not liking the Highlander at all, to loving it a lot.

I currently run a Megatower (as already mentioned) and get along with it well. The only complain that I have is, that going quickly over roots isn't as comfortable as I would like it to be. The high pivot should remedy that and looking at the geo, it is close to what the MT has.

What I like more is:

Bearings are better sealed. SC seems to build their bikes for good weather only. After only 8 months of riding, the bearings of the lower link have to be swapped already. I get them for free but still have to go through the hassle to swap them.

Taking out the shock is a pain in the ass on the MT.

Tire clearance of 2.8''. I don't run tires that wide but in the MT the "Der Kaiser 2.4" would rub its dirt off of the frame.

External routing. Of course, you would not swap your brake that often so that it really matters but I like external cables more.

As a sidenote: The promotional video in bad weather is so cool! You always see bikes being promoted in perfect conditions but most of the time I ride in the rain, mud, misty weather (just like in the video).

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have to admit, that I find other bikes better looking (Raaw Madonna V2 amongst others) but I have gone a long way already from not liking the Highlander at all, to loving it a lot.

I currently run a Megatower (as already mentioned) and get along with it well. The only complain that I have is, that going quickly over roots isn't as comfortable as I would like it to be. The high pivot should remedy that and looking at the geo, it is close to what the MT has.

What I like more is:

Bearings are better sealed. SC seems to build their bikes for good weather only. After only 8 months of riding, the bearings of the lower link have to be swapped already. I get them for free but still have to go through the hassle to swap them.

Taking out the shock is a pain in the ass on the MT.

Tire clearance of 2.8''. I don't run tires that wide but in the MT the "Der Kaiser 2.4" would rub its dirt off of the frame.

External routing. Of course, you would not swap your brake that often so that it really matters but I like external cables more.

As a sidenote: The promotional video in bad weather is so cool! You always see bikes being promoted in perfect conditions but most of the time I ride in the rain, mud, misty weather (just like in the video).
Funny you should mention the Raaw Madonna V2. It's the other bike that I just love the looks of (with the Propain Tyee and Forbidden Druid coming in next). The Raaw just seems a bit too big for everyday riding if I only have one bike though, so the Highlander is the current dream bike.

I'm also a fan of external routing and weather resistance, though I'm about to move to the desert, so the latter might not matter as much to me going forward.

·
Registered
57 Posts
@Tom Howard, I was a bit surprised there wasn't a single mention of the lack of pedal feedback in the pinkbike review. I previously owned a guide and have never ridden a bike that eliminates pedal feedback like the Guide (including a commencal HP DH bike). Perhaps that's because I ride flat pedals and the pinkbike reviewer does not.

As you've ridden the Highlander and own a guide, how does the pedal feedback compare between the 2 bikes?

·
Registered
296 Posts
@Tom Howard, I was a bit surprised there wasn't a single mention of the lack of pedal feedback in the pinkbike review. I previously owned a guide and have never ridden a bike that eliminates pedal feedback like the Guide (including a commencal HP DH bike). Perhaps that's because I ride flat pedals and the pinkbike reviewer does not.

As you've ridden the Highlander and own a guide, how does the pedal feedback compare between the 2 bikes?
I didn't particularly notice a difference to be honest. That said, it was almost 6 months ago that I rode the Highlander now... should be here in a few weeks so will report back then!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I didn't particularly notice a difference to be honest. That said, it was almost 6 months ago that I rode the Highlander now... should be here in a few weeks so will report back then!
Thanks, Tom! Interested to hear your feedback once you get the bike.

21 - 40 of 418 Posts