Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a set of race face deus xc 2008 cranks and when I was going to remove them to clean the outboard bearings of the BB (as explained in the tutorial posted here), I see that I only have access to the 8mm bolt that loosening it just leaves exposed the internal area of the right crankarm...but as I see in the manual, there should be a 10mm bolt that acts as a self extractor...

How do I do this? Or do I need to use a crank remover tool?...I can see after dissambling the 8mm bolt that this bolt is not "common", I mean, it has something like a loose washer and the head is big...

Please, give a little help to this newbie...

thanks a lot guys!

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
That appears to be a different arrangement in the photo than the installation instructions show. That looks like the old ISIS bolt rather than the bolt/extractor. :confused:

You can't use a regular crank puller because the threaded area of the crank for the extractor cap is much larger in diameter than the puller, and the button the puller drops straight through the X-type spindle.

Do you have a photo of your retaining bolt and cranks?

Attachments

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
OK, that's just weird. Unless they have changed the sie of the outer threaded section to match the Park puller, I don't see anyway to use that retaining bolt to extract that crank.

Late Bulletin: OK, the Park CCP-4C crank puller for the ISIS cranks is apparently the tool to use on these 2008 Race Face cranks on the Element.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKS A LOT ROCKY!!
I will test it in the upcoming days and will let you know...BTW, I want to remove them to apply the Incubus tutorial about doing some maintenance to this outboard bearings...

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.