Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What am I getting for the extra $ with the XTR that is not in the Deus? Is it truly much more than a weights saving of what looks about 100 grams or so (please correct me since I am probably off on this one)? It sounds like some of the Deus cranksets have problems loosening up on the drive-side...has this been corrected? It looks like I can get the Deus for $230 and the XTR for quite a bit more of course so I am hoping there are tangible differences to justify the signficant difference in price.

These will be for a project bike I am building up (Ti hardtail) that will be used for XC racing and non-technical rides with my friends who are hard-core racer-boys who really make me work too hard to keep up on my trailbike.

If there are other cranksets that are recommended please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Neither. XTR is waaaaaay over priced. Heavy, and the propriotary replacement rings are big $$. No light BBs avail for either setup, plus one can't run a smaller granny(or smaller middle) if one decides to run a 11-27 roadie cassette(modified to 11t from 12t of course).

Buy a 5 bolt compact RF Next LP or Turbines. Way lighter then either when setup with a good BB.

RF Next LPs with 145gm ti Action Tec sqr tpr BB, SRP ti crankarm bolts, SRP alum ringbolts, 42t(Real)-31t(US Machine)-20t(Blackspire)rings run with the 11-27 178gm Duraace cassette with a roadie PC89R hollowpin chain. About a 1/2lb lighter then any XTR setup AND cheaper...if you look hard enough. (best buys, ebay, etc). Plus you can run a wider range of ring sizes..and they are cheaper to replace. Oh yeah..some Twin ti Eggs to round the package off. Bike is 21.5lbs with disc brakes by the way. All you need to bring is your legs. It won't be the bikes fault. ;)

Or...my other rides setup. RF Turbines in ISIS drive(on sale for $99 last Spring)with an all alum FRM BB at 135gms with alum crankarm bolts, SRP alum ringbolts, 42-32t(Real)-22t(Kooka) rings, roadie chain, XTR952 12-34 cassette. Just a few grams heavier then my race bike setup above. 23.8lb trail bike. hehe

No XTR junk(at least their cranks) for me. They're pretty tho, at least when new. Even that doesn't last long.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I'm a big fan of the old M950 XTR setup but out of the two you mentioned, I would definitely go with the RF. The new XTR is silly expensive and has proprietary ring sizes (big $$$ replacements). Most of the difference in weight is due to RF using thickier chainrings. With lighter rings, they would be really close to XTR. Most people think the new integrade XT cranks/bb is good enough though. It's still reasonably light and I've seen them go for pretty cheap on eBay.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
FoShizzle said:
What am I getting for the extra $ with the XTR that is not in the Deus?
I think the XTR are finished better
FoShizzle said:
Is it truly much more than a weights saving of what looks about 100 grams or so (please correct me since I am probably off on this one)?
Not sure how much difference there is but yes the XTR are lighter. There was a post earlier here that has a break down of the weights, the Deus crank arms are actually lighter than the XTR but RF uses heavier BB and rings.
FoShizzle said:
It sounds like some of the Deus cranksets have problems loosening up on the drive-side...has this been corrected?
Not sure if it was corrected but had mine for a over a month now and it loosened up on the first 2 rides and haven't for the last 400 miles since then. I have the silver cranks and they are completely oxidized, hopefully they have this problem corrected by now. I plan to warranty them this winter when i have some down time.
FoShizzle said:
It looks like I can get the Deus for $230 and the XTR for quite a bit more of course so I am hoping there are tangible differences to justify the signficant difference in price.
If you use a Performance 20% off coupon and are a Team Performance member the price comes out to $190 right now, you just missed the double points weekend which would have brought the price to $170.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for feedback

Thanks to all for the great advice.

I decided to actually go with Truvativ Stylo Team cranks, with a Ti bottom bracket. I got a fantastic deal and I have always like Truvativ stuff a lot. The price was great (under $200 for both) and the weight ends up being only 7 grams more than XTR setup, but with a very good track record.

Thanks again.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.