Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im kinda considering swaping my 2003 XT cranks with the race face deus. Apart from the bling and the 100gr savings Im wondering if this is a worthwhile investment. The Xts, apart from creaking a bit under hard pedaling, work pretty smoothly. Also being on the 190lb range and doing a few 1-2" drops here and there is it worth considering the Atlas over the Deuce or will the Deuce take the beating? Thanx all.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
This is what I was told

I was talking to a race face rep in a shop one day who said off the record that the dues cranks are strong enough to downhill on for a smooth rider. They are stronger and stiffer than the turbines were and guys used to beat the hell out of those. I have a set and love them but make sure you follow the istalation instuctions to a tee, The crank arm has to tightened intill it literaly can't be tightened any more.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I purchased both the Deus and the Atlas (both in black). The Atlas is beefier (and noticeable heavier and likely not much if at all lighter then your XT's). I weigh 245 lbs (working my way to 230 lbs) and will be running an E-13 bash guard (the Atlas spider is a little thicker), so I have decided to go with the Atlas on my new bike (Evil Sovereign, should be here next week). If you decided to go with the Deus I can sell you a brand new set (in the original box with instructions and warrenti card) for $205 shipped in the lower 48. Email me at PowersUSA -at- gmail -dot- com if you are interested.

·
Banned
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry for the late reply. got mine from jenson @199! hopefully wont get an older defective version. thanks for the input

·
Registered
375 Posts
Don't think you will get 100g saving by going to Deus, your 03 XTs (assuming they are M752 with a XT BB) is around the 865g mark as a set but you will get increased stiffness.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
jaco said:
sorry for the late reply. got mine from jenson @199! hopefully wont get an older defective version. thanks for the input
Did you check out the LX 580 crankset? Jenson has it for $114.95. They're a little heavier, but quite a bit cheaper and look a lot like the stronger FR type HONE crankset and similar weight. Heard they're pretty stiff too.

·
As in sucking wind
61 Posts
I've had my Deus for about a year, I weigh between 185 and 195 depending how much
stuff I carry along. I do 1 to 1 1/2 foot drops and have had zero problems. When I was looking at buying them I was debating the same thing: Deus or Atlas.
Happy I went with the Deus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.