Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Buffalo, NY now and we have a pretty good variety of single track trails around me, but that will soon end when I leave. I'm moving to Detroit (probably Dearborn area) in a few months and wondering if there are any local MTB clubs/forums and where to ride? Thanks. I will also be looking for people to ride with and show me around perhaps when I get there in October if anyones from that area.

Mike

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Check out www.mmba.org

There are a bunch of guys that ride in that area, although you will have to drive a ways for the really good MTB trails. You will, however, be real close to Hines Drive, which is (I'm told - never ridden it) a great road ride.

·
Registered
455 Posts
mike125k said:
I live in Buffalo, NY now and we have a pretty good variety of single track trails around me, but that will soon end when I leave. I'm moving to Detroit (probably Dearborn area) in a few months and wondering if there are any local MTB clubs/forums and where to ride? Thanks. I will also be looking for people to ride with and show me around perhaps when I get there in October if anyones from that area.

Mike
Echoing what Rob just said, check out the MMBA site. Register and log into the forum over there too and you can get some good info. The MMBA site has a Trail Guide page that you can check out to give you a good feel for what we have.

Yes, Rob is right, Dearborn is quite far from most of the good stuff. (Yes, I live in Dearborn. ;) ). The closest trails would be Island Lake, Maybury, & Novi-Lakeshore Park. And yes, Hines Drive is very close and is my usual road ride during the weekdays.

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
44 Posts
mike125k said:

Mike
I'm from Windsor (just across the river from Detroit) and we have several "ok" trails here. The only real hill is an old garbage dump, and the others are all overgrown for the most part.

For those of you in Michigan, are the trails any better on your side of the boarder?

·
Registered
71 Posts
AgentHubcap said:
I'm from Windsor (just across the river from Detroit) and we have several "ok" trails here. The only real hill is an old garbage dump, and the others are all overgrown for the most part.

For those of you in Michigan, are the trails any better on your side of the boarder?
We've got a great bunch of trails, all within a half hour of Detroit. I think Pontiac Lake is my fave out here.

·
Maestro
80 Posts
Hey Mike,

I work in Dearborn, (crossroads are Southfield and Michigan Avenue) and if you are willing to drive approximately an hour to hour + 15, you can get to some great riding spots. I routinely ride, after work:
Poto
Brighton Rec
Novi Lakeshore
Island Lake
Highland Rec.

All excellent riding areas.
(Yes PLRA is great as well, I just haven't tried to get out there after work.)

Leave work around 5, fight traffic for an hour, But then I am riding by 6:30 PM.

Good Luck with the Move!

Ken S.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Pontiac Lake is fun, so is Stoney Lake in Rochester. Surprisingly there are quite a number of trails in southeast MI, although they are all relatively short, compared to say the UP or upstate NY. Trails-edge.com has some good info and directions for these trails. Hope to see you on the trail if I'm in that area- Rideon!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, a buddy and I went on a day-trip yesterday to Lakeshore in Novi for the morning, and Holdridge in Holly for the afternoon. It was AWESOME! I was so tired by the end of the day that I couldn't even bunny hop anymore.

Lakeshore was pretty easy. We met a bunch of people on the trails and they kicked my ass. I just couldn't keep pace, but it was really fun. The crater rules!!! If you're looking for a nice easy trail that has lots of switchbacks, then try this one out. No real fast downhills though. Plus at only $4 per car, it seemed like a deal.

Holdridge was a lot more technical. We only really had time (and energy) for the west loop, but we still did the tech loop (couldn't pass that up). There seemed to be a lot more variety here, and we could easily spend a day just at Holdridge. The only downside about holdridge is that it is $8 per person (I find that a little steep), but it wouldn't stop me from coming back.

I've posted some pics here, hopefully the link works for you guys.

Bottom line: I'd go back to both, but I liked Holdridge a little more.

Next week: Pontiac lake! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts