Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear people talk about replacing/upgrading all their various bolts with titanium or for certain colors. I would like to replace a few of mine for other reasons, but having a hard time figuring out the exact size I need - I know I could get take them all off and carefully measure and take them to a hardware store to determine thread size and pitch, but that sounds like a lot of work and I could be a bit off, so hoping there is a better resource. I'm sure some are probably standard but others are probably not. I need the following sizes:

Stem bolts for Raceface Ride 31.8 stem

Mounting bolts for bars for Sram NX shifter / Shimano Deore brakes, and Reverb dropper remote - these seem like they may be all the same?

Seat clamp bolt for Canfield Bros. Yelli Screamy (35mm clamp for 30.9 diameter post)

Is their a resource for determining the exact size needed for various bolts?

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I know of no universal resource and even manufacturers of the components don't list the sizes. You basically gotta pull it and measure it.

There is quite a bit more to screws besides length, thread diameter and pitch. Head type and size certainly, but material, fabrication method, heat treatment, surface treatments/finish can all be important.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Purchase a pitch gage.
Then you can methodically remove and measure each bolt individually without having to take bits and pieces to the fastener store.

Create a spreadsheet. Build multiple pivot tables with all sorts of cross referencing criteria, etc.

Add a weight column, weigh each bolt beforehand and compare to the weight of the new bolt.

This is going to be a fun project!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Purchase a pitch gage.
Then you can methodically remove and measure each bolt individually without having to take bits and pieces to the fastener store.

Create a spreadsheet. Build multiple pivot tables with all sorts of cross referencing criteria, etc.

Add a weight column, weigh each bolt beforehand and compare to the weight of the new bolt.

This is going to be a fun project!
Not to save weight - couldn't care less about that - I want to replace them w/ tamper proof bolts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.