Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I finally ordered a new Giant Anthem X 29er and I'm going to outfit it with SRAM XX drivetrain and my question pertains to Q-Factor...I understand what it is now, I just don't know how to determine which is better for me Q156 Q164 Q166. Any help would be great....

John

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
jreinan01 said:
Ok...I finally ordered a new Giant Anthem X 29er and I'm going to outfit it with SRAM XX drivetrain and my question pertains to Q-Factor...I understand what it is now, I just don't know how to determine which is better for me Q156 Q164 Q166. Any help would be great....

John
The difference between 156 and 166mm is only a mere .39 inches. In addition - more tuning can be done with cleat position, pedal spindle length, and which pedal you use to get narrower or wider. (Older cranksets you can/could adjust QF with BB spindle length as well.)

Now how does the 156 - 166mm Q factor compare to what you may have been using? Have you measured your current set up?

Sounds sort of basic, but narrow Q-Factor for narrow folks, wider Q-Factor for wider folks. I'm not talking width via weight, but width via bone structure.

Probably the best test would be to test on a power meter various levels commonly used in your mountain biking that you could consistently produce the best.

Here are some examples of typical Q Factors:

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/drivetrain/q-factors-for-various-cranksets

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
As someone pointed out, the difference is tiny. As a general rule you the q-factor should be adjusted according to the width of your hips, and you can fine tune it with cleat position, except you can't move inboard because your shoes will touch the cranks.

In reality, unless you're a pro contender, the difference is marginal, and was never considered until recently. You might also try wetting your shoes so you'll leave footprints then walk with a natural gait, and measure the separation of your track. This will also give you an idea of your foot's alignment and might help a bit in setting the cleat angle.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jreinan01 said:

John
In addition, the narrower cranks may not fit your frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.