Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I've recently (literally yesterday) purchased a Fatback 170 Aluminium Frame, Fatback Carbon Forks, Surly Rolling Darryl Wheelset and a Truvativ BB + Crankset all in a bundle for £680, been waiting absolutely ages for a fatty, and just got it running today; jesus is it fun to ride! But the most horrible thing has happened, and I've only had it for a few hours :( I haven't gotten round to getting brakes yet, and I was riding it on the pavement, as us "yobs" do, when there was a road in front of me, I checked for headlights, didn't see any and decided to keep going, but right at the last few seconds, a car came speeding towards the road, and if I didn't swerve and hit the electrical box next to me (on purpose might I add!), I would've gone flying straight into the car, then flying forwards some more probably. After getting home, I discovered that there is a huge crumple in the downtube of my frame, despite the fact that I was going absolutely no faster than 6kph. What the **** has happened, surely it must be stronger than that? I mean I was going to do jumps on it! Somebody please help me out here, is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
So you were riding without brakes, and ran into an immovable object?

I think you're on the hook for a new frame. Warranties often specifically don't cover crash damage. You might see if Fatback will hook you up with a crash replacement deal, but I'd consider yourself lucky if they do.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If there is a crumple in the down tube, I'm afraid the frame is toast. Pics would be good about now.
Really? :'( Just put the pics up!
Toast? :( - Imgur

So you were riding without brakes, and ran into an immovable object?

I think you're on the hook for a new frame. Warranties often specifically don't cover crash damage. You might see if Fatback will hook you up with a crash replacement deal, but I'd consider yourself lucky if they do.
Well I was excited! I've contacted them, I really hope they do, but they probably won't seeing as I'm in the uk....

Sorry man, I know that must suck, being a new bike and all. At least you didn't get hurt.
It sure does man, but your kind words do help, even just that little bit! :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm the older style Fatback, there has been one or two reports of this same thing happening back in the day with this same frame.
**** man, that's not good, I contacted fatback and they've replied asking for more info, probably won't get anywhere though as I'm in the UK :( Velobike suggested wrapping the affected area in carbon fibre, would that work?

Very unfortunate for you. I know from experience how much silly decisions can hurt. Glad you're ok too.
Thanks man :) Fortunately I just badly grazed my leg, but if I stretch it too much, the graze starts to rip (cringe!)

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
...Velobike suggested wrapping the affected area in carbon fibre, would that work?...
Did I? Don't think I've seen those pics before.

Although being a bodger, it is exactly what I'd do if it was my bike - after first straightening the frame a bit.

Sharpening head angles up a bit ain't a bad thing in my book, although I don't think I'd recommend your method. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did I? Don't think I've seen those pics before.

Although being a bodger, it is exactly what I'd do if it was my bike - after first straightening the frame a bit.

Sharpening head angles up a bit ain't a bad thing in my book, although I don't think I'd recommend your method. :)
You did, but not on my frame! On this one: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/sad-day-my-fatback-700588.html

So you would reccomend it? xD and if this question annoys you, just say, how do you straighten the frame?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
You did, but not on my frame! On this one: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/sad-day-my-fatback-700588.html

So you would reccomend it? xD and if this question annoys you, just say, how do you straighten the frame?
I would try it on one of my own frames on the basis nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's difficult to recommend to someone else.

However I've got no doubts about the strength of a carbonfibre wrap IF it is done properly. Drew Diller on this forum has built bamboo frames like that.

Frame straightening requires brutality of a high order. Scaffolding poles and crowbars type brutality, and lever it carefully back into shape. It can of course completely destroy the frame, but seeing as it's already stuffed, not much to lose. It's advisable to have some practise runs mangling a scrap frame.

It helps to know what the frame is made from too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would try it on one of my own frames on the basis nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's difficult to recommend to someone else.

However I've got no doubts about the strength of a carbonfibre wrap IF it is done properly. Drew Diller on this forum has built bamboo frames like that.

Frame straightening requires brutality of a high order. Scaffolding poles and crowbars type brutality, and lever it carefully back into shape. It can of course completely destroy the frame, but seeing as it's already stuffed, not much to lose. It's advisable to have some practise runs mangling a scrap frame.

It helps to know what the frame is made from too.
Yeah you're right, if Fatback won't help me, I'll probably just do that, or I could put it on ebay and try and find another? I'm 5"4 anyway and it's a large.
Hmm if I was going to do it, I know some people who would deff know more about this stuff than me, and thanks for the info! The frame's made from 6000 series aluminium apparently.
I've got to ask you though, us both being in the UK and all, do you know of anywhere to find used fatbike stuff? Seriously it's incredibly scarse here, it's unbelievable. Never anything on ebay, or pinkbike, best thing I know of is singletrack - which is where I got my frameset from, could you do me a huge favour and help me out here? Thanks again! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.