Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding a Chris King SS Disk for over a year now, but have totally trashed it, so now it is time to replace. I loved my CK when it was working, but hated it when it wasn't (obviously). Any advice for a new, light, reliable disk hub? It would be a HUGE bonus if I could use the King Kogs I already have.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
King SS hub

I had some trouble getting the King SS disc hub to behave initially. The bearing side load adjuster mechanism is different from the other King hubs, and in my opinion, rather poor. But now that it is set correctly, I haven't touched it in a while.
You say yours is trashed, but King hubs are completely serviceable, and after only a year, I doubt it has any real damage. A qualified shop can surely repair/service it to new condition.
If it is truly gone, there are a few other ss disc freehubs now. I haven't held one yet, but I think American Classic has one now, and there are others that will work with the king cogs.
Tom

·
Registered
386 Posts
Too bad you said light....My Phil Rear hub is so nice. Buy and forget, I can't say I've had to deal with the whole "not working" concept on a rear hub since I finally went for the Phil. Combine with a White freewheel and forget. Plus its a company who has always had the SS mentality at heartd. But after a king it will seem kinda heavy.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
supermoto said:
I've been riding a Chris King SS Disk for over a year now, but have totally trashed it, so now it is time to replace. I loved my CK when it was working, but hated it when it wasn't (obviously). Any advice for a new, light, reliable disk hub? It would be a HUGE bonus if I could use the King Kogs I already have.

Wow, I have a hard time believing that it is trashed such that it cannot be serviced....which is part of the beauty of a King. Having said that, my new SS will be built with Phil Wood disc hubs. I opted for that instead of converting my new Kings ISO disc wheelset over to SS using spacers and there was not way I was going to pay the now $400 for the King rear SS hub and have it relaced. I will be running an ENO freewheel and while some folks may not like the fuss of a freewheel, that is the least of my concerns. Plus, I like the idea of zero-dish though I am sure my converted King would have been more than adequate. Bottom line I guess is that you should definitely look into you current hub being serviced.

Cheers

·
The man who fell to earth
335 Posts
Xtr

XTR with centerlock rotor: Ti freehub, very light (probably lighter than the CK with disk installed), tough, reliable, way less expensive than CK, tons more chainline adjustment, no fishing reel buzz, and your King Kogs will work fine with it.

supermoto said:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

It is a long and somewhat embarrassing story, but my bolts and axel are stripped! I will send it back to King to see if they can repair, but I would like to pick up another hub while I wait for the King.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
If your CK is indeed

trashed and you want an alternative also look at the Hadley SS hub.

Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts