Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(trust me, some pic content is below)

Snow on the Front Range. In Colorado. Yep. Not exactly an uncommon occurence, but for it to linger in the way that it has for the last month plus is. Perhaps this is only a tradeoff for having been able to ride so much (relatively?) the last two winters. Riding on dry trail that is.

We get pampered. We get spoiled. We live in a wonderful place. We take our mellow, dry dirt rideable winters for granted. This winter, for our extended non-dry trail time, I've savoured every bike commute. Two wheeled time, even if not of my preferred form, is better than none.

So what do we do? Play in the snow, if so inclined. Sit inside, drink beer, and put on a few pounds. Try not to think about how much cardio fitness we're losing. Gym workouts? Bah! Forget it; drives us nuts. Trainers? Rollers? Gag me with a schwitzed out chamois pad.

Solace. Of road trips to drier climes. Of posts with pictures of other dry trails, or rehashes of old posts. Anything to remind us of what we're missing. This winter is no different. Forum attendees drop as if flies nailed by Raid. Others hang about, stuck to the flypaper of online salvation via others' pictures and stories. Tempers get short, people get cranky. People whinge about "this place not being like it used to be" or what have you.

What do we do with our winter time? Some of us get a vasectomy, and watch some movies, read some books, get hooked on the new Sci-Fi channel Battlestar Galactica show and geek out for a bit. A passion post of some kind had to be done, even if only of a commute to work.

Another couple days of nether region recovery time, and it may be doable to hit some of the snowy trails. Considering the next weeks temps will be on the wee chilly side, hitting them early in the day before things get thawed and sloppy will have to work. If all goes well with that, then it'll be time for a mini-road trip to Moab.

1. warm and wind-blocky things, and plenty of flashing things
2. your leaving? but it's warm here. you big, hairless pink cats are dumb
3. pretty empty out here
4. yes, visiting the demon of overburnt beanery
5. but my hands were getting cold working the camera in thin gloves

Attachments

·
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Riding while juggling the coffee and the camera was quite entertaining, moreso for the carbound folks wondering just how big of an idiot you'd have to be to do such a thing. I took it as a technical challenge, considering it's been weeks since any of my bikes have hit anything remotely resembling a trail.

A self imposed "single digit" threshhold for my commutes is under scrutiny now. Considering it may be the only riding (other than day off road rides and snow rides) to be had for a bit, all the bike time to be had is to be tightly grabbed and held. It's only a number, and hackneyed as it may sound, that whole "it makes me feel alive" thing does seem to hold true.
Plus, snotcycles rule.

So get out there people, and ride. Suffer a bit in the cold, get snowy, get wet, write up some reports. Free the verbiage! I've been a wuss about it this winter so far, and have decided that has to end, or spring riding is going to freakin' hurt.

1. my lock, and normal parking space are under there
2. manpris kick ass; so long as i keep the rest of me warm
3. heightening the tension.....
4. before entering the inferno
5. rockin' the artificial kidney tonight

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
just three things...

1) i hope you're not on the receiving end of that artificial kidney...

B) who did you have to sleep with to get your streets cleared of ice? :confused: :madmax:

third) vasectomy... :eekster: i cringe at the thought, though 2007 may be my year too. hurt much? never mind, don't tell me.

·
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gotdirt said:
1) i hope you're not on the receiving end of that artificial kidney...

B) who did you have to sleep with to get your streets cleared of ice? :confused: :madmax:

third) vasectomy... :eekster: i cringe at the thought, though 2007 may be my year too. hurt much? never mind, don't tell me.
1) nope. just runnin' it for the night.

B) i'd like to know that one too!

third) not bad. lotsa' good drugs, during and after. my memories of the whole procedure are pretty much gone.

·
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wooglin said:
You're just not looking in the right places. Its not cold or snowy or wet, but its riding.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=84787

Nice commuter btw. How about some details?
one-one il pompino frame, setup fixed. cheapie front brake/cane creek levers. old shimano cranks/race face ti bb/wellgo ti axle ritchey pedal clones, thomson stem/salsa bar/king headset, old american classic ti post/recovered sparkly green seat, surly hubs front and rear with mavic something or other rims - converted to hollow axles but with steel ended 5mm bolt on QRs
weird fender setup. tires are something 35-40mm wide i don't recall off the top of my head.

best i've got at work right now. it's a fun bike. was using a rack/pannier setup, but it's much more fun and responsive to ride with a pack or messenger bag instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hey, look outside! More snow! grumble grumble grumble

Spinning classes twice a week is helping me to keep the cardio going, but boy am I missing dirt. A ride this weekend may be a necessity, regardless of snow or temp. Unless it becomes too warm and sloppy. Which it probably will. :rolleyes:

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
They are thinking of closing the highways here after today's snowfall and high winds made them a mix of black ice and nearly zero visibility and the city streets are a nightmare.

It isn't really cold yet but tonight's low is expected to be -19C and with the windchill factored in it'll feel like -28 when I get up tomorrow to ride my bike 13km to work.

Winter's a biatch...but it's MY biatch.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Dave, nice write up. I commend you for riding in the cold and snow. Looks like another enjoyable weekend in that regard.

I, for one, could not ride even if I wanted to. :D So the snow does not really bother me.

(Just so the snows gone by end of March)

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Are you actually David Lynch going under the pseudonym "Scrublover"?

Big bag, quick close up of the cat, dark snowy roadside, the coffee cup... Where's the torn off ear covered in ants?

And next time you had better post some pics from the summer. I've forgotten what the ground looks like. ;)

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
gotdirt said:
Say what you will about Longmont, but they have been absolutely impressive with the street cleaning. I've seen pavement within 24 hours in each of the last 7 (seriously this has to end sometime right?) snow storms.

I couldn't believe how bad it was in some other areas (south Denver).

·
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jdub said:
Say what you will about Longmont, but they have been absolutely impressive with the street cleaning. I've seen pavement within 24 hours in each of the last 7 (seriously this has to end sometime right?) snow storms.

I couldn't believe how bad it was in some other areas (south Denver).
It was crappy going home this morning, and crappier still heading to work this evening. All the thawed stuff from earlier in the day now a nice, glazed over sheen. Fun!

·
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
man it was cold here today in Socal...like 68 degrees
ah, but see, i look at the upside of the crappy conditions lately: i don't live in california. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.