Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was almost ready to pull the trigger and purchase a $100 training program for a 24 hour solo mtb race, but have decided to look into designing one myself before I do so. I'm afraid of paying for a plan (which I'm sure would be high quality), but then screwing it up because of the need to re-arrange everything due to my work schedule.

Anyway, I think it'd be fun to design my own program, and convenient to build it around my schedule, but don't really know where to start. Does anyone know of any good FREE guides that would help to walk me through setting up a 12 or 13 week program??

If I can't find anything, I guess I'll just drop the cash on the program and then try my best to tailor it to my schedule, but I would much rather design it myself.

FYI, the training plan I was considering purchasing is the LWCoaching personal record 24 hour solo plan....maybe LW will throw her two cents in on this?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
You could always build up long ride mileage incrementally and then taper for 2 weeks. I think I saw somewhere that you need to be able to ride consistently for at least 12 hours at a time when training for the 24 solo.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
LyndaW said:
I'll throw in ;-)

What is your race?
What is your goal?
What is your experience?
I thought I might see you show up!

- Race is a small local 24 hr. race in Montana, late June, with a fairly forgiving course with only 700 ft. climbing/lap of 12-14 miles and little to no techincal riding (24 hrs. of Rapelje, you can google it). Later in the season, I plan on riding the 24 hrs. of Grand Targhee as well.
- Goal...Personal best (haven't determined mileage or laps...perhaps 225 or 250 miles?)
- Experience: Road and mountain bike recreationally about 5-8 hrs./week through the past few months. Have done 2, four man team 24 hr. races (Rapelje and Moab) and two solo, both Rapelje. First year I solo'd, I trained very minimal, got 110 miles in. Second year I solo'd, I "trained" a lot more and had 75 miles done 7 hours into the race...then a rain storm hit and shut down the race.

This will be my first experience with following an actual structured training plan. Before this, I just rode a lot and called it good. This has allowed me to complete the races, but I would really like a top 5 finish. At 250 miles it could be competetive for first depending on who shows up.

I just bought a new bike and am under pressure from my boss (a.k.a. beautiful wife, in case she reads this) to check my cycling spending...I also have no delusions of being the next Etough....this, in addition to not wanting to need to modify your plan to fit my work schedule is a big part of my hesitation to buy a plan.

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
So the goal is a PR and you have race experience.

Late June race gives you about 18 weeks to work with - lots of time :thumbsup:

Roughly here is how I would use those 18 weeks:

Weeks 1-4: Build ride volume at aerobic pace. Get your Ride frequency up to 5-6 x per week. Rehab any injuries you have. Do core work x4/week. Lose any excess body fat that will slow you down. Be extra nice to your beautiful wife to bank points;-)

Weeks 5 + 6: Power L6 (like 12 X 30 sec intervals with 4.5 min rest) work, and aerobic work. Long ride per week in 4 hour range.

Week 7: Rest week. Keep up ride frequency ride 4-5 times short and easy.

Weeks 8 + 9: Power L5 or VO2max focus (intervals of 4 minutes) plus 1 long ride/week of 4 hours

Week 10: Rest week. Keep up ride frequency ride 4-5 times short and easy.

Weeks 11 + 12: Threshold focus. Cherry workout here is 3 x 20 min intervals with 10 min rest. Build 1 long ride per week in #11 = 5 hours and #12 = 6 hours

Week 13: Rest week. Keep up ride frequency ride 4-5 times short and easy.

14 + 15: Power L3 tempos (sub threshold) building up to 90 min tempos. Long ride week #14 = 6 hours and #15 = 8 hours both at 24 hour race pace on course if you like and practicing race equip and fueling plan.

16: Rest week. Keep up ride frequency ride 4-5 times short and easy.

17: Taper. Do a little bit of everything for maintenance but low volume.

18: Bank sleep, get your logistics dialed, don't ride much. Kill your race :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lynda....

Thank you very much for the foundation...I'll take some time on my next few days off and see what I can do to design a program around your advice. Would you be willing to look at it and let me know what you think when I'm done? It'll probably be excel format or maybe a file from Garmin Training Center if I can make that work for my purposes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One quick question before I dive into this project: I don't have a power meter...You reference power L6 and L5 above...what would corresponding HR or PE levels be?

Thanks Lynda....I'll let you know when I have it ready for you to take a look at. Thanks again!

·
Registered
113 Posts
LyndaW said:
So the goal is a PR and you have race experience.

Etc etc etc...

:D
Lynda, big ups to you for your willingness to help people. I hope (and Im sure it does) it all comes back to you 10 fold. So many coaches are a closed book untill they see money.

Very cool! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lynda - as a regular "lurker" on these forums I have seen you post significant helpfull hints and tips, but the above goes beyond that in all respects. its wonderful to see someone who truly believes in what they are doing and the need to help people. A baby this year will dent my race plans but you can count on me as a customer in the hopefully not too distant future.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm originally from the Billings area but live in Idaho now....have spent little to no time in the Butte area so I can't help ya with the babysitter...sorry! When I was in Billings I guess I've never had the need to go beyond Bozeman for outdoor fun! I'll put some thought into it though...maybe I'll think of a friend who might have a suggestion.

I may be at the Butte 100...I've already signed up for a 100 miler in Bend the weekend after Butte...but my buddy who talked me into it backed out and is doing Butte instead. So, I'm on the fence at this point!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Steady Grind said:
This will be my first experience with following an actual structured training plan. Before this, I just rode a lot and called it good. This has allowed me to complete the races, but I would really like a top 5 finish. At 250 miles it could be competetive for first depending on who shows up.

I just bought a new bike and am under pressure from my boss (a.k.a. beautiful wife, in case she reads this) to check my cycling spending...I also have no delusions of being the next Etough....this, in addition to not wanting to need to modify your plan to fit my work schedule is a big part of my hesitation to buy a plan.
Here is my take on this, I bought 3 plans from Linda over the past two years and cycle (no pun intended) through them before and during the race season. The first year I tried to be very strict about scheduled workouts and struggled to keep up with the plans. I would try to make up for missed workouts because of work schedule or other engagements and decided to forgo the "personal best" plan because I could not commit enough time to it.

The second year I took a different approach. After some solid base training in the Winter, I went straight for the "personal best" plan and didn't cry if I missed a training session but obviously put in a good faith effort to make as many as possible. In the end, I had a fantastic season, rode a ton, and pushed my riding significantly forward.

I only do a few races a season, the one that I care most about is the Vermont 50, a 50-miler in, you guessed it, Vermont. the main reason for me to train is to be able to ride hard and fast (for me), several days in a row, in all sorts of conditions.

Lynda's "personal best" plan was the best I could do for my fitness and riding. It was hard work, no question, but in the end the results were far better than I expected. In 2007 I finished the VT50 in 173rd (out of 728) position, in 2008 conditions were bad and I finished 195th (out of 597). In 2009, after training with Lynda's "50-mile personal best" plan, conditions were the worst I have ever raced in (it rained hard before and during the whole race and the dirt turned to soup), I finished 39th (out of 645).

I look at it this way, $300 over two years is far far less than I would spend if I paid gym dues regularly. What good is that fancy new bike if the engine is not optmized?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I've been trying to put this thing together....and I'm about to give up. I think I may see now that it is much easier, and probably much more effective to just pay the money to someone like Lynda who actually knows what they're doing. I'm going to work on this project a little more today...and if I get frustrated again...I will be giving up and spending the $$. I'll keep you posted.

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
Steady Grind said:
So, I've been trying to put this thing together....and I'm about to give up. I think I may see now that it is much easier, and probably much more effective to just pay the money to someone like Lynda who actually knows what they're doing. I'm going to work on this project a little more today...and if I get frustrated again...I will be giving up and spending the $$. I'll keep you posted.
Well if you get a plan you can post up questions about how to match it to your personal schedule here or on my LW Coaching forum.

As a side brag/note spots 2nd, 3rd and 4th on the solo men's podium at 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo this year were on LW Coaching training plans. On the women's solo podium 1st and 5th. I don't like to brag about my own results but I am super proud of my athletes when they put all the hard work together and hit their goals.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lynda....

Yep, I'm sold. There are just too many good things being said about you and your plans to not buy one..........and I'm just not smart enough to figure it out myself!

I will be on the website soon to purchase a plan....even though I just got bent over hard by Mr. Obama and his "share the wealth" tax plan, I think I can find $99 sitting around somewhere that he hasn't poked his fingers into yet.

Thanks for attempting to help me figure this out myself, and I look forward to chattin' with you regarding the purchased plan.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Just do it,

Steady Grind said:
Lynda....

Yep, I'm sold. There are just too many good things being said about you and your plans to not buy one..........and I'm just not smart enough to figure it out myself!

I will be on the website soon to purchase a plan....even though I just got bent over hard by Mr. Obama and his "share the wealth" tax plan, I think I can find $99 sitting around somewhere that he hasn't poked his fingers into yet.

Thanks for attempting to help me figure this out myself, and I look forward to chattin' with you regarding the purchased plan.
Lynda's plan is great, very structured and it does require a significant commitment, but it is VERY doable. I'm a small business owner with very little free time and long work hours.

I've been racing for a long time with good results, but I needed the structure as I got older and my life got more complicated. I stuck to the entire 24PR plan and only missed one day when I snapped a pedal off and fell super hard. Part of the challenge for me was to stick to the plan, I rode in the snow, rain and indoors....alot! If it's important, motivation will come easily.

She knows whats she's doing and obviously(by the nature of this post) is good people. Scrape the 100 bucks together and get ready to do your best:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.