Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Looking to Start Racing
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(So I need to learn how to spell the darn title :))

So I finally decided on a Fork. A nice shiny new Marzoochi MX Comp. Now, my big problem is this.

I love my LBS (huge props to the boys at Cyclepath in London Ont:thumbsup: ). But in canadian coin, the forks is a huge $550. Ok, so they said they could give me a deal (No I didn't ask), my guess is $25. Thats fine, I wouldn't want them to hurt their top end on my account. But the real problem is that on JensonUSA.com they are $285 american. Do to the awesome exchange rate, I'm looking at $322, add the taxes and it's $370 canadian. Shipping shouldn't be more then $35 canadian, so thats a grand total of $405.

Am I missing anything? I mean how do LBS compete with this? This is such a decision. I would love to give my business (and my money) to my LBS, but thats a HUGE price difference, thats like dropping a $100 tip.

Please tell me I am missing something, cause this is one heck of a hard decision.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
not in canada you aren't missing anything...the canadian distributors for these products set their prices extremely high....these companies seem to set their prices on a dollar value around 0.50usd :eek:ut: :confused:

Another example again an marzocchi 66RC2X $1700 plus tax from norco....american mailorder $825 USD plus 27.96 shipping converted to canadian dollars 958.34 plus duties its still over 600 dollars less than ordering through you LBS.

I say that as you sig says the canadian bicycle distributors must "evolve or die" :madmax:

for me my pocket book tells me what to do...my LBS still gets any repair work that I can't do but from now on all of my major parts purchases are mailorder...but your decision is up to you

DMR

·
Looking to Start Racing
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I live on a budget so my pocket book is my desciding factor. I just feel bad not spending my money at the shop, but alas, I am in the process of buying a new car also, so I guess the Jenson will have to do, whenever they get it in stock.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
TREK 4 Life said:
Ya, I live on a budget so my pocket book is my desciding factor. I just feel bad not spending my money at the shop, but alas, I am in the process of buying a new car also, so I guess the Jenson will have to do, whenever they get it in stock.:thumbsup:
I've got an MX Pro I'd sell for a GREAT deal, if you are interested I'd fill in more details. I am not using it as I just went rigid. I LOVE the fork, however I am riding a steel SS Cruiser and went with the rigid fork as I am just now able to handle it. I got the fork back in February and have less than two months of modest rides on it. Good luck whatever you do. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.