Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out for a morning ride this morning bla bla yadda yaddda yadda.
Bla bla bla. And then bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda

This jerk bla bla bla. Yadda yadda yadda.

Despite that it was a great morning for a ride.

Bobo

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hey, some people only visit "their" trail a few times a year when the weather is perfect, cut them some slack. They are just as confused about why there are so many other people on "their" trail when they decide to use it. :D

·
Shifted
262 Posts
the other day I was zoomin down from the East Side water tank and this person, on a bike, who had a ton of room to move over to his right, decided to just stay his course and I had to basically jump through a bush. There was plenty of time for this person to make a decision to move over a little and take a little bit rockier area on a nearly flat trail with a slight incline.

If you are on here dude - I suggest keeping your head up more often around certain areas as I will just kindly assume you were just not looking and have not been properly educated on sharing the trail, especially with faster, oncoming riders. I'm not saying I allways have the right away if I'm going faster than you, but I really hope you didn't purposely try to force me into a bush. I yield most of the time and this was a case where I definitly thought someone should have yielded space to me.. .

·
Shifted
262 Posts
liteandfast said:
Berny2435 Uphill rider has right of way.
well, normally I would say you are correct but when the ground is fairly flat and there is 5 feet of safe area to your right and 1 to your left, it's called share the trail within the normal rule of thumb "I'll stay to my right side and you stay to your right side".. . simple, easy, safe. The slower rider can make corrections and stop faster too. With the terrain around Arizona, the faster downhill rider has a TON more risk of sustained injury using avoidance menuevers than the slower rider. The dude acted like he wanted to play chicken basically. He had plenty of time to make a move. I stayed right, he didn't move and I went through a bush basically. I didn't charge at him but closely watched if he'd make a move.

Regardless of who is right or wrong, at least a little give would have been "non confrontational" to say the least. I will allways yeild to the faster oncoming rider if it appears to be a possible dangerous situation for them if I don't move. Maybe I'm just being nice to all these guys coming my way??? I don't think so, I'm being smart and sensible. I'm no tough guy and avoid fights, but there are a few people in this world that this sort of jesture would have really lite their fire!! Especially if they had wrecked or damaged their bike. I'm glad I didn't wreck to say the least. I view this stuff kinda like this "Don't flip somone off in your car, road rage is real, you never know who your dealing with" This is common sense people. Be safe and we'll all get along.. .

·
Registered
546 Posts
Pretty sure he was a Brit....in the car he does alright because he is sitting on the left and not the right but while out on a bike there is no right or left side of the bike you know and well it all gets very confusing keep right...keep left what to do, what to do....and it doesn't help when you are out of your mind from pushing such a HUGE gear. I am sure he was thinking go left....go left.... why is this guy not going left I cant keep anymore right than this.....well .....man I can't believe that guy just rolled over that poor defenseless little bush, thing has probably been there for 25 years and instead of going left he went right over it........CRAZY Americans!!

10 min later....wait....crazy American.... we are in America......that's right stay right always stay right.......next time I am going to vacation in Australia!!!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
berny2435 said:
well, normally I would say you are correct but when the ground is fairly flat and there is 5 feet of safe area to your right and 1 to your left, it's called share the trail within the normal rule of thumb "I'll stay to my right side and you stay to your right side".. . simple, easy, safe. The slower rider can make corrections and stop faster too. With the terrain around Arizona, the faster downhill rider has a TON more risk of sustained injury using avoidance menuevers than the slower rider. The dude acted like he wanted to play chicken basically. He had plenty of time to make a move. I stayed right, he didn't move and I went through a bush basically. I didn't charge at him but closely watched if he'd make a move.

Regardless of who is right or wrong, at least a little give would have been "non confrontational" to say the least. I will allways yeild to the faster oncoming rider if it appears to be a possible dangerous situation for them if I don't move. Maybe I'm just being nice to all these guys coming my way??? I don't think so, I'm being smart and sensible. I'm no tough guy and avoid fights, but there are a few people in this world that this sort of jesture would have really lite their fire!! Especially if they had wrecked or damaged their bike. I'm glad I didn't wreck to say the least. I view this stuff kinda like this "Don't flip somone off in your car, road rage is real, you never know who your dealing with" This is common sense people. Be safe and we'll all get along.. .
This was on Desert Classic? Enough said.

·
Shifted
262 Posts
clarkrw3 said:
Pretty sure he was a Brit....in the car he does alright because he is sitting on the left and not the right but while out on a bike there is no right or left side of the bike you know and well it all gets very confusing keep right...keep left what to do, what to do....and it doesn't help when you are out of your mind from pushing such a HUGE gear. I am sure he was thinking go left....go left.... why is this guy not going left I cant keep anymore right than this.....well .....man I can't believe that guy just rolled over that poor defenseless little bush, thing has probably been there for 25 years and instead of going left he went right over it........CRAZY Americans!!

10 min later....wait....crazy American.... we are in America......that's right stay right always stay right.......next time I am going to vacation in Australia!!!
haha! yeah, must of been a Brit. What was I thinking staying right.. . He was wearing Red and blue. I guess I just didn't see the flag.. . :p It must of been all that steem he was pushin out of that engine climbing up that huge 3 degree incline! :rolleyes: Then again, I guess if he was on a SS hard tail, I guess I'm totally in the wrong b/c I shouldn't make those people leave the ever so clearly defined XC trail.. . Maybe those type of bikers should wear a sign on their helmets saying RIGID RIDER. Then maybe I'll make sure I avoid them at all costs in my HUGE 4" travel 29r :rolleyes: :D

disclosure: no animals were hurt in this case and even though I made a joke, I have nothing againts SS hard tail riders. I use to own one

·
wawe member
892 Posts
berny2435 said:

Sounds like he gave you 5 feet of trail to pass and you didn't have the control and/or good sense to use it.

·
Shifted
262 Posts
Black Bart said:
Sounds like he gave you 5 feet of trail to pass and you didn't have the control and/or good sense to use it.
I'm assuming that is a joke, but if it's not, I find that intriguing that you have enough common sense to swerve in front of oncoming traffic. Go try that on a typical residential road or gravel road and let us know how that goes:skep: . We'll agree to disagree. Thanks for your opinion. Be safe out there buddy :thumbsup:

·
wawe member
892 Posts
berny2435 said:
I'm assuming that is a joke, but if it's not, I find that intriguing that you have enough common sense to swerve in front of oncoming traffic. Go try that on a typical residential road or gravel road and let us know how that goes:skep: . We'll agree to disagree. Thanks for your opinion. Be safe out there buddy :thumbsup:
Just like the rider you encountered I don't "swerve in front of oncoming traffic", which seems to be what you wanted him to do.

You are confusing the standard rules of the road with standard trail etiquette, the two are not the same. (Crazy, right? Next thing someone is going to tell me that boats have a different set of right of way rules than cars and that there are different rules for inland vs. open water :eek: )

On the trails, the downhill (or faster) rider has the duty to avoid the uphill (or slower) rider. If that's not to your liking get a time machine, go back about 30 years and try to change things. Then let me know how you did it, I'd really like to go back and get a "last one in the water gets the next wave" rule for the surf lineup. Thanks.

·
Shifted
262 Posts
Black Bart said:
Just like the rider you encountered I don't "swerve in front of oncoming traffic", which seems to be what you wanted him to do.

You are confusing the standard rules of the road with standard trail etiquette, the two are not the same. (Crazy, right? Next thing someone is going to tell me that boats have a different set of right of way rules than cars and that there are different rules for inland vs. open water :eek: )

On the trails, the downhill (or faster) rider has the duty to avoid the uphill (or slower) rider. If that's not to your liking get a time machine, go back about 30 years and try to change things. Then let me know how you did it, I'd really like to go back and get a "last one in the water gets the next wave" rule for the surf lineup. Thanks.
Did I ever say he needed to swerve in front of me? did I not mention he had 5 feet of area to negotiate with?

If you honestly think that the "unwritten rule" you speak of is not situational and does not involve using common sense, then please do us all a favor and show us a biker etiquette manual that is not someone's internet post or webpage or book by some none published author. Show me something you can buy at the store. I'd really like to know that I am 100% incorrect so I can make sure I avoid riders like you at all times.

If someone is coming at me and I have room to move over, I'm moving over. Just like I would on a urban street or dirt road that has no lane lines. I'm not going to be a punk and stay my course so the other rider has to GUESS what route I'm going to take to avoid collision. If I show intension to or action to move right, he knows he can move to his right and help decrease the risk of getting tangled up. He clearly wanted to play chicken and force me to move. Where I'm from, they don't teach you trail riding in school or when you show up to the local trail. They do however teach you how to drive a car in school and ummm well yeah, you get the picture I hope. Have fun swerving left infront of hikers and bikers that have very little or no trail riding experience. Have you ever noticed that paved bike trails have lanes sometimes? What do you think those are for? Playing chicken I suppose :rolleyes:

To re-cap, HE HAD 5 FEET of area to his right. If you want, I can probably take pictures of the area the next time I'm out there :rolleyes:

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I guess we should all:

A) Not ride on DC because only bad stuff happens there and all the cool kids ride other trails.

B) When going downhill and you see another rider coming up, stop, get off your bike and get off the trail, because you Have to Yield!

C) Spend more time typing than riding.

I on the other hand will just keep riding (even the DC), staying to the right and yielding to everyone I can, retain as low of a post count as possible and never be as cool as some of the Fonzie's on here.

·
wawe member
892 Posts
berny2435 said:
Did I ever say he needed to swerve in front of me? did I not mention he had 5 feet of area to negotiate with?

If you honestly think that the "unwritten rule" you speak of is not situational and does not involve using common sense, then please do us all a favor and show us a biker etiquette manual that is not someone's internet post or webpage or book by some none published author. Show me something you can buy at the store. I'd really like to know that I am 100% incorrect so I can make sure I avoid riders like you at all times.

If someone is coming at me and I have room to move over, I'm moving over. Just like I would on a urban street or dirt road that has no lane lines. I'm not going to be a punk and stay my course so the other rider has to GUESS what route I'm going to take to avoid collision. If I show intension to or action to move right, he knows he can move to his right and help decrease the risk of getting tangled up. He clearly wanted to play chicken and force me to move. Where I'm from, they don't teach you trail riding in school or when you show up to the local trail. They do however teach you how to drive a car in school and ummm well yeah, you get the picture I hope. Have fun swerving left infront of hikers and bikers that have very little or no trail riding experience. Have you ever noticed that paved bike trails have lanes sometimes? What do you think those are for? Playing chicken I suppose :rolleyes:

To re-cap, HE HAD 5 FEET of area to his right. If you want, I can probably take pictures of the area the next time I'm out there :rolleyes:

Have a nice day!
Conversely, YOU had 5 feet of area to negotiate. YOU were the one going fast so it was YOUR duty take the available open line and/or slow down. When I'm the one going fast downhill, I"LL take the rougher line thank you.

I also am from an area that didn't teach me mtb rules in school, come to think of it, that area is right here. They also didn't teach me the rules of skiing, snowboarding, boating or surfing, but you know what? When I started doing those things I observed what more experienced people were doing, listened to what they told me and followed along. I didn't whine about not being able to apply my driver's ed knowledge to situations that were not driving. I didn't b!tch about the slower, downhill skiers not sticking to the right side of the slope. I didn't challenge other surfers to show me a sign posted on the beach explaining the rules of a lineup or whine about boating rules not applying to surfing. (Hey, I know that guy was on the wave while I was paddling out, but he was 17deg. off the starboard side of my board so I HAD RIGHT OF WAY!) You get what I'm saying?

You can go out and take those pictures and come back with 27 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what happened but it won't change a thing. You rode down from the eastern tank (assuming you were heading east) got some speed, had a choice of heading straight or going left up the little bypass trail, you went straight, saw an oncoming rider, had the time to determine he was sticking to the smoother line but that there was a slightly rougher line to your left. You chose to not take that option and instead veered right off the trail and over a bush that everyone else has managed to avoid for 30+ years. Then you projected all kinds of evil thoughts that the other rider must have had, trying to "play chicken" with you because you mistakenly believed that the rules you learned from your high school drivers ed teacher about operating an automobile on the road applied to trail riding. Then you came on here to whine about it. Did I miss anything that your photos will clear up?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok Bart, but in all your Guthrie-esk rambling you still haven't given a reasonable explanation as to why the other rider couldn't just pay attention and move over (to his right). Regardless of surfing rules or whatever other tangents you spread out there, it is a normal and accepted practice in this country to stay to the right as you encounter oncoming traffic. Just because he doesn't have to doesn't mean he shouldn't.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts