Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard from Wade today that, while my frame is set to be built next week, Derrick has decided to no longer paint! No more beautifully painted Vultures? The uniqueness and beauty of the paint was one of the big selling points that made me choose Vulture to build my new frame? Would having to go with a power coat be a deal breaker for any of you? I hate to be so bummed about the paint job when I'm sure it will still be an incredible frame. What do you guys & gals think?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
double0b said:
I just heard from Wade today that, while my frame is set to be built next week, Derrick has decided to no longer paint! No more beautifully painted Vultures? The uniqueness and beauty of the paint was one of the big selling points that made me choose Vulture to build my new frame? Would having to go with a power coat be a deal breaker for any of you? I hate to be so bummed about the paint job when I'm sure it will still be an incredible frame. What do you guys & gals think?
Though brotha Derrick does a very, very nice paint job, you don't ride the paint. Said another way, the paint doesn't make the handling that my pals who ride Vultures rave about. Custom geometry does! I'd ride one if I could afford the (keyword - "custom") frame, and may yet one day, unless I build a frame myself.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
double0b said:
Would having to go with a power coat be a deal breaker for any of you?
It would probably be a deal MAKER for me. Have you ever seen a nicely painted frame that has actually been ridden hard 3-5 years down the road? Let's just say that beauty fades.

LP

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well....

Not a deal breaker but I would be disapointed. Besides Vulture's ride qualities, one of their appeals was Derrick's paint jobs. I would be bummed but you're still getting a very nice ride.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I guess I was one of the lucky ones to have Derrick paint my Vulture. Should you be disappointed? Nah. The job that Wade does and the customer service that he offers is way more valuable than a paint job. And like someone else said, after a few years, that paintjob isn't gonna mean squat...but the quality of the ride will.

Wade does an excellent job in building Vulture frames. I'm already saving up some $$$ to order a 29er from him. More bang for your buck with a Vulture!!!!

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,341 Posts
double0b said:
...What do you guys & gals think?
Derrick's an awesome frame painter, but he doesn't paint lots of other frames either and there are plenty of great custom choices out there.

Vultures didn't used to be painted by Derrick; they were great then and they still will be a great ride after Derrick moves on to his own personal "bigger & better." Personally, I hate to see Derrick's reign as exclusive Vulture painter end, but I'd still buy a Vulture. And I'm still proud to ride the one I own.

Long live talented Derrick Bell; Long live Vulture Cycles.

--Sparty

·
Registered
687 Posts
As they have said

A Vulture is a vulture is a vulture...
Don't be bummed, the frame will give you what you want.
I'm bummed cause I know Derrik and Wade and think they are both super talented and cool and will miss getting to see them work together...
I love my 29er SS which D-Rock painted and I will love my next Vulture(cross) even if Wade has to color it with a Sharpie.
Jefe'

·
Registered
93 Posts
I sent my deposit in today for a 29er built around the midge bar! Wade has been super cool to talk with. A Vulture is still a great deal in my opinion. I was planning on a single colour anyway and would rather put the extra money into the wheels since I'm on a budget. I am very excited to be joining the Vulture family!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses

Lots of good info. Initially bummed? Yes, but based on every review I've read of Wade's work, it will be an incredible frame. He is recommending that I have Spectrum Powder Works paint it - their site shows off some pretty awesome projects. Wade has even made mention that my frame may be the first with an actual cast head badge. How sweet would that be?

That said... 'Can't wait until Wade sends me that email that the torch is actually being put the metal. :)

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Higbee said:
I sent my deposit in today for a 29er built around the midge bar! Wade has been super cool to talk with. A Vulture is still a great deal in my opinion. I was planning on a single colour anyway and would rather put the extra money into the wheels since I'm on a budget. I am very excited to be joining the Vulture family!
Please keep us posted on how this bike turns out. I'm interested in a similar project. Just out of curiosity, how tall are you? I'm about 6'1" (81cm saddle height) and want the drops just slightly (5-6cm) below my saddle and do not want to use more than a 15 deg rise stem. I wonder if it can be done while providing adequate standover?

LP

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am 5'7" so getting the bars up won't be that much of a problem. I plan to have the drop section ~2.5" below my saddle. Wade said we just have watch standover and toe overlap. I am very confident the Vulture will nail it just right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.