Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating on a set of rims. LBS suggested Derby or Reserves, doesn't sell Nobl so I'd be going direct through them. Really want to go with the Derbys cause my LBS speaks so highly of them, but tough to ignore the price, warranty and quality of the Reserves. I'm lukewarm about the Reserves cause I don't want a Santa Cruz rim on my Pivot (I know). I spoke with a rep at SC and he said a lot of people don't consider Reserves for the same reason surprisingly. They ditched the SC branding on a couple models already, and end of 2021 they're gonna release an enduro and downhill rim with just the Reserves logo.

And that's the dilemma ... With the way things have gone the last year, especially with Santa Cruz, I'm wondering if they'll even be availabile this year. There's a lot of info on the Reserves and Nobl, but little on Derby. The few people I've spoken with had nothing but positive reviews, but it's a small sample size. Just wondering if anyone rode em or could give some advice. Thx!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can only offer my opinion on Nobl, I haven’t ridden the other two you mentioned. I own Nobl TR 37s and am very happy that I decided to go with them. They also come with a lifetime warranty on their premium series. I purchased my set through customwheelbuilder.com, they offer some different options than Nobl and give a 15% discount. I am curious about trying We Are One rims, but as much as I’m liking my Nobls, I don’t know if I’ll ever want to change.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I’m on my third set of Derby HD/AM-layup rims with a fourth set awaiting hubs. i30 and 35. Lots of players and lighter weight options now, but I doubt any dissatisfaction would result from choosing Derby.

Why do I keep buying them? Ray’s designs still hold up, emulated by many. I sold a 27.5 set after using them on two bikes for five-plus years. They were horrendously nicked up but true and round. For my riding (through double black and bikepacking) with a good hub they’re forever wheels. I’ve made a few dumb mistakes but they’ve shrugged them off. I’m 165 rtr and use them on FS coil/air and hardtail. These have never felt harsh or reflective to me; I did have a set from another company that felt both.

I’m sure the other brands you mention are good, too, but going Derby won’t be a misstep. Depending on your weight/riding, I’d consider XC layup on front. AM is pretty stout, ~485g/29er.

·
Inspector Gadget
795 Posts
I'm lukewarm about the Reserves cause I don't want a Santa Cruz rim on my Pivot (I know). I spoke with a rep at SC and he said a lot of people don't consider Reserves for the same reason surprisingly. They ditched the SC branding on a couple models already, and end of 2021 they're gonna release an enduro and downhill rim with just the Reserves logo.
I have reserve 30's on my Evil... the branding is literally a sticker you could pull off. I'm on these after breaking a race face wheelset, that was replaced by an i9 wheelset that I also broke. Warranty and reputation sold me... the DT Swiss hubs are supposedly bomb proof. Wheels and hubs feel great, no complaints so far, got a few hundred miles on them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can only offer my opinion on Nobl, I haven’t ridden the other two you mentioned. I own Nobl TR 37s and am very happy that I decided to go with them. They also come with a lifetime warranty on their premium series. I purchased my set through customwheelbuilder.com, they offer some different options than Nobl and give a 15% discount. I am curious about trying We Are One rims, but as much as I’m liking my Nobls, I don’t know if I’ll ever want to change.
Yeah that wheel builder on their website is awesome and I've heard nothing but great things about their rims and customer service. And the lifetime warranty is a huge deal, offers peace of mind and makes the price a lot more palatable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m on my third set of Derby HD/AM-layup rims with a fourth set awaiting hubs. i30 and 35. Lots of players and lighter weight options now, but I doubt any dissatisfaction would result from choosing Derby.

Why do I keep buying them? Ray’s designs still hold up, emulated by many. I sold a 27.5 set after using them on two bikes for five-plus years. They were horrendously nicked up but true and round. For my riding (through double black and bikepacking) with a good hub they’re forever wheels. I’ve made a few dumb mistakes but they’ve shrugged them off. I’m 165 rtr and use them on FS coil/air and hardtail. These have never felt harsh or reflective to me; I did have a set from another company that felt both.

I’m sure the other brands you mention are good, too, but going Derby won’t be a misstep. Depending on your weight/riding, I’d consider XC layup on front. AM is pretty stout, ~485g/29er.
Good stuff, thank you! My LBS couldn't say enough nice things about Ray which is actually a big reason why I'm leaning towards their Sol rims. I'm 155 lbs, not a lotta tech and don't launch 20 ft jumps, but mostly ride flow and intermediate jump lines at bike parks (Mountain Creek, Killington, etc).

Did you ever need a warranty claim, and what hubs you have with em?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have reserve 30's on my Evil... the branding is literally a sticker you could pull off. I'm on these after breaking a race face wheelset, that was replaced by an i9 wheelset that I also broke. Warranty and reputation sold me... the DT Swiss hubs are supposedly bomb proof. Wheels and hubs feel great, no complaints so far, got a few hundred miles on them. View attachment 1940078
You got 350s or 240s? And I know they're popular but not a huge i9 fan ... Have heard from several bike mechanics that they're not the easiest to repair and are overpriced. Didn't necessarily say they're bad hubs, but said CK and DT in particular were the best ones and one of em also put White Industries on that list. i9 does a TON of marketing so obviously that expense is passed on to the consumer.

·
Inspector Gadget
795 Posts
You got 350s or 240s? And I know they're popular but not a huge i9 fan ... Have heard from several bike mechanics that they're not the easiest to repair and are overpriced. Didn't necessarily say they're bad hubs, but said CK and DT in particular were the best ones and one of em also put White Industries on that list. i9 does a TON of marketing so obviously that expense is passed on to the consumer.
I have DT350 hubs on the reserves. For the record i9 did warranty my hub and send me parts.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Good stuff, thank you! My LBS couldn't say enough nice things about Ray which is actually a big reason why I'm leaning towards their Sol rims. I'm 155 lbs, not a lotta tech and don't launch 20 ft jumps, but mostly ride flow and intermediate jump lines at bike parks (Mountain Creek, Killington, etc).

Did you ever need a warranty claim, and what hubs you have with em?
Cool. Yes, Derby put(s) a lot of passion into his products. He used to post here generously until he got too busy.

Based on their usage descriptions they’d reco AM layup. I’ve used DT Swiss 240 32h, 240 28h straight pull, 350 32h. No need for warranty on any. I’ve broken a spoke or two by rock strike but have only surface nicks to the rims.

Easy to tape and friendly tire mounting with Maxxis and Bonty.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Can't speak to the others but have built 4 or 5 wheelsets with derby rims. I've cracked two but both were enduro racing and not on the DH layup. His CS is stellar and I had new rims on the way in 24 hours.

·
Registered
211 Posts
5 plus years on a set of Derby rims on 3 different bikes. Still looking good aside from a few surface scratches.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Are you saying SC is releasing a new enduro and dh rim at end of 2021 or just new as in removing the branding? I’m curious if they’ll be changing their rim profile to a flatter shape that’s becoming more popular for compliance like they’ve just done for the 30SL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah that wheel builder on their website is awesome and I've heard nothing but great things about their rims and customer service. And the lifetime warranty is a huge deal, offers peace of mind and makes the price a lot more palatable.
Add another vote for NOBL and customwheelbuilder. I purchased a set of TR32's w/hydra hubs from them last year and they were great to deal with, responded to emails quickly, and they were $150 less than buying direct from NOBL. I've been riding the wheels for 8 or 9 months now with zero issues.

·
This place needs an enema
15,853 Posts
The SC's ride like bricks. My guess is that they made a splash with the Danny Mac video, sold a ****-ton to people that wanted to ride 'em like they were rented, had a bunch of failures, then kept beefing them up until the failures tapered off.

So yeah -- they're tough now. But ride quality is effectively nil.

I have a set of i35 Derby's that I ride with 29 x 2.8's and a set of i40 Derby's for my 3.0's. Great rims, great guy standing behind them.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I haven't ridden the reserves, but i've ridden the piss out of both Derby's and Nobls

Since I'm currently an XC dork, I went with the Nobl TR32, but I ran Derby's on my trail/enduro bike for many years. Built up wheelsets myself with both, both are great.

Got my current Nobls through customwheelbuilder and had a flawless experience. Checked the tension myself when they arrived and everything was perfect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts